No oil in sump??

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Is it possible to know how much oil a GT has in it? The owners manual says check the oil right after turning off the ignition. But after shutoff my car immediatly starts draining oil out of the black tank and within 1 minute it is empty. :ack My car has 900 miles on it and I have added 1 quart at 500 miles. The manual also states that overfilling with oil will damage the car. As the car never has a stable amount of oil in the tank to measure I don't know if I should add more or not. I have good oil pressure at all times and I don't think my car is burning any oil but perhaps I'm wrong. Suggestions??

Chip

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Check running and warm?

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
I've heard to check at idle! It could be checked with the help of another person checking as soon as the engine turns off. I was told that many have added oil because of the dip stick showing low (engine off and drained into block) thus resulting in extreme over full condition.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
05 Ford GT said:
I've heard to check at idle! It could be checked with the help of another person checking as soon as the engine turns off. I was told that many have added oil because of the dip stick showing low (engine off and drained into block) thus resulting in extreme over full condition.

Mike,

If there is any oil in the car it will be pumped through the tank while the car is running so I don't think that will give a true low oil indication. Perhaps there is no way to really know. Any other suggestions? :confused

Chip

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The routine I have is that I check the car after a run.... so it's nice and hot (which, I think, is how to measure a dry sump). Get the car home, put it in the garage or level surface, engine still running, open the clam shell, engine still running, turn off ignition, nip around to passenger side, wait for 10 seconds, measure oil.

On all other cars (wet sump) I would measure cold.

It may be worth someone checking with Ford what the perfect oil check routine should be - or if there's more detail than the handbook...

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Agree Neilda,

In the owners manual and on the DVD with Rick Titus - it states check the oil level within 1 munute of shutting the engine off since it is a dry sump system