Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Pete, you aren't going to tell us what was wrong? :rolleyes:

Guessing coil pak?
It was a burned exhaust valve. I didn’t mention it, but I checked for spark on all plugs, which were good, and also replaced the ignition wires in my efforts to troubleshoot in motel parking lots.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
How do you burn an exhaust valve without running lean? Nasty detonation?

To fix, Did you have to pull the engine or just the intake and head?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Okay, you asked...

I was getting random CELs for many months before I made the trip. Codes were for fuel trim and cat efficiency. Those never gave me any running problems or audible detonation, so I just kept driving it. Engine had 275,000 miles, and body was showing rust in lower rear fenders (east coast car) so I wasn’t gonna throw a lot of money at trying to fix it.

I started getting the major missing on a long uphill grade in the aAppalachians of western MD, and I was heavy and pulling a trailer at close to max power. My working hypothesis was that one cylinder was running lean, probably due to a faulty fuel injector, and the exhaust valve in the cylinder overheated. I didn’t hear any detonation, but remember these engines have knock sensors so spark timing was probably being retarded on that one cylinder by the ECU without me being aware of it. Also I said it had a burned valve, but it was not a piece missing, rather, the tulip was distorted from overheating so it was not sealing, resulting in no compression.

I just pulled the right head and replaced it with a rebuilt unit from NAPA. I didn’t have to remove the intake manifold, just loosen up both sides, take the bolts out of the right side, and then slip the head out and back in. That was about 10000 miles ago and it’s working great. I still have a CEL related to the cat, but like I said, I'm not gonna throw a lot of money at it, especially since I’ve decided to order a new F150 diesel.

I forgot to mention that a reman head from NAPA with exchange was about $350, plus the gaskets and new TTY bolts brought the parts total to about $500. Gotta love that. A few days of contortion and cussin’ and I was back on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Roketman, tell me more. Why did you choose the small diesel, how well does it tow, and what kind of real world fuel consumption do you get? TIA

Hi Pete, I bought a new full jamb 4x4 Lariat crew cab in late 2018 and absolutely love it. My first diesel ever as I was so impressed with Rocketman’s. As of today I have 36,000 miles on her of which 10,000 of those were spent towing a 5,800 lb. dry 28’ Airstream across the continent. Mileage to date for the truck‘s lifetime is 20.2 mpg. Plus I don’t baby the throttle nor travel without lots of stuff!
To me it’s performance, economy, quietness and pulling power defies physics.

The best mileage I ever got from her was 26 mpg on a 5 hour road trip (no trailer) and loaded with 4 people and our luggage.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Terry, thanks for the feedback. I was playing with the Ford online configurator before Christmas, but it’s been family circus around my house for the past two weeks. So I’ll get back to it.

One thing I did find out from the configurator: it only allows you to choose the 400watt inverter for the 120VAC outlet in the bed for the Diesel engine. To get the 2KW or 2.4KW output, you must choose a gas engine. And to get the 7.2KW 240/120VAC power center you must choose the hybrid. I’m disappointed that I can only get a 400W inverter. It’s hardly worth the trouble. You can’t even run a power tool with that.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I would have guessed the stand alone diesel would have given you the biggest KW generation (& the hybrid the least).

I better go to engineering school.

Reactions: DakotaGT

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
You and me both. But it’s 2020

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
...not for much longer, and I’ll be glad to see this year in the rear view mirror.

I can see why the hybrid is the only engine to offer the 7.2 KW 240/120VAC power. The hybrid drive motor/generator has much more capacity than the wimpy alternators mounted on the accessory drive of an ICE. But I don’t see why the gas engines have an option for 2KW and the diesel only offers 400W. The alternators should be about the same.