http://www.scuderigroup.com/

[video=youtube;BK2Mm7TYHuk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK2Mm7TYHuk[/video]

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Makes absolutely NO sense to me. No matter how many times I watch this, it looks like one of the two cylinders is taking a free ride as far as producing any actual power is concerned. If it makes sense to you engineering types - fine! But, as Spirit would say, it's way above my pay grade! :willy

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
'Makes absolutely NO sense to me. No matter how many times I watch this, it looks like one of the two cylinders is taking a free ride as far as producing any actual power is concerned. If it makes sense to you engineering types - fine! But, as Spirit would say, it's way above my pay grade! :willy

Looks like a compressor a tank and a power producing 2 stroke. couldn't you replace or add to the compression side with a super charger or a turbo charger. What happens it the tank of compressed fuel and air is compromised in an accident?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I find all new approaches interesting and intriguing. While it may never come to fruition by itself, it may solve a problem for some future design or application. Innovations can spark ideas in others.

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Looks like a compressor a tank and a power producing 2 stroke. couldn't you replace or add to the compression side with a super charger or a turbo charger. What happens it the tank of compressed fuel and air is compromised in an accident?

Empty, I agree. I too, do not see the sense in the proposed design.

Fly GT40 I thought of the crashworthiness of the big compressed gas cylinder as well, but I believe it would only contain air not an air/fuel mixture. Most assuredly still a significant hazard. I would think this engine design would use the now more accepted and advanced direct injection process to deliver the fuel into the combustion chamber.

They made a big deal of the after TDC combustion which infers high combustion ignition process and thus very high combustion pressures. In a regular IC engine the pressure in the cylinder builds as the piston is upstroke compressing the air/fuel mixture and the spark is timed before TDC to give the flame front time to propagate away from the sparkplug further building combustion pressure which should peak just after the piston rolls over TDC and is on the downstroke.

IMO the engine is certainly NOT less complex, you now have two pistons, pins, rings, rods, bearings etc to get one power impulse to the crank and all the attending friction of the "compression" cylinder as additional parasitic loss. Just up the turbo/super charger pressure if you want higher pressure. Seems much simpler way to go.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...you now have TWO pistons, pins, rings, rods, bearings etc to get ONE POWER IMPULSE to the crank and ALL THE ATTENDING FRICTION of the "compression" cylinder as ADDITIONAL PARASITIC LOSS. Just up the turbo/super charger pressure if you want higher pressure. Seems much simpler way to go.

Egg-zackly. ('Guess I must not be quite as dense as I thought I was, then!)

I can't understand how these folks figure they're going to get TWICE the fuel mileage (or whatever they're claiming) out of an engine with TWICE the 'drag' per power stroke. 'Beats the stuffings outta me...