New Owner

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
Congrats.. Was watching that auction.. Yellow is a special color.. Almost bought one in 2007 , wish i had. The only time you over pay is if you park it and sell it tomorrow. After your first rally with the forum, the smiles, non ending grin, will tell you what it's worth doesn't matter. Someone else in your family will sell it.. So where is this bad boy(gal) going to be located?
Great list from many, but the 69b302 from upstate had some not so obvious items. Kevin(Special K) and Tony (2bjshelbys) has some important got ya's that have caught a few(like many) out.
Congrats again. Enjoy and drive; that's where the smiles are.

Thanks. I live in Tampa, FL. I will definitely take this beast out on the track at Motor Enclave, where I have a unit. I certainly wont push it as hard as I push my Shelby GT350R, but I wont be able to resist at least taking a parade lap.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
As mentioned earlier suggest you get the transcooler from Coolteck….weather in our neck of the woods gets hot. Congrats/enjoy!

Reactions: onepunch

philrob1

Jul 21, 2022
That looks great! Congrats

Driveitnow05

Oct 20, 2022
Hello. I bought my first GT today, the yellow one on BAT. A few posters there suggested this forum, but I already joined awhile back when my search started. I did order a set of Bridgestones, as the current tires are dated from the Nixon Administration, and of course I will get it in to change all the fluids.

My main question was that because this was basically a museum car for the last 3 years (heavy hitter collection), are there any other maintenance items folks here would recommend that I take a look at?

Thanks!

Edit: And yes, I probably overpaid by 25 grand or so, but the rarity of the yellow, the overall condition, and the fact that it was 15 minutes from my house moved the needle enough for me. (And also I drive my cars, so the miles didnt impact me at all)

Terry
2006_ford_gt_259300AE-302D-48A2-9B53-D999EA797345-70133-scaled.jpeg
Terry, Congratulations on your new ride. I have owned my GT for one year and need to do some replacing of tires. Can you please tell me which Bridgestone tires you ordered. My car has 2015 GY tires and need new shoes. The local ford dealership which says they can service the car with their "perfomance team" is telling me Bridgstone no longer makes a simialr tire to the GY that was OE. Also, who is doing the install and does it need to be some sort of super special shop? Thanks.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Terry, Congratulations on your new ride. I have owned my GT for one year and need to do some replacing of tires. Can you please tell me which Bridgestone tires you ordered. My car has 2015 GY tires and need new shoes. The local ford dealership which says they can service the car with their "perfomance team" is telling me Bridgstone no longer makes a simialr tire to the GY that was OE. Also, who is doing the install and does it need to be some sort of super special shop? Thanks.

https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/fgt-knowledge-base.38620/

... Since the OEM Goodyears are no longer available, Bridgestones are the only choice and are actually recommended over the Goodyears anyway. Bridgestones are often available from Radial Tire (Bill) 301-585-2740 or 703-554-4803: "Hi Ron, happy Friday! I wanted to let you know that I have 12 Bridgestone GT tires and Bridgestone called me today to inform me that they have allocated their entire North American stock to us which is awesome. I have 90 rears and 90 fronts coming to me me. Now I am biting my nails hoping for calls." - by @roketman (link) 5/6/22. Correct Bridgestone sizes for the 2005/6 Ford GT are:
  • Front: Bridgestone RE050A Potenza (Porsche N1) 265/40R18
  • Rear: Bridgestone RE050A Potenza Scuderia 345/35R19

I think any shop with equipment and knowledge on handling 19" diameter wheels and low profile tires, and treating the wheels and tires carefully (as they should all wheels and tires), should be able to do it.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
If you mention what City you are in,a member might recommend a shop.

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023

I followed the tire advice here and got the Bridgestones. Tire Rack had them in stock, and with free shipping the total to my door was under 2 grand. These were the tires I ordered.....

345/35R-19 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE050A SCUDERIA SL - (2) @ $586.59 each

265/40ZR-18 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE050A N1(PORSCHE) XL - (2) @ $326.56 each

as for installation, I have a shop in Tampa that I use for my other exotics, so installation was not a big deal. Any competent shop should be able to handle it.

Driveitnow05

Oct 20, 2022
I followed the tire advice here and got the Bridgestones. Tire Rack had them in stock, and with free shipping the total to my door was under 2 grand. These were the tires I ordered.....

345/35R-19 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE050A SCUDERIA SL - (2) @ $586.59 each

265/40ZR-18 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE050A N1(PORSCHE) XL - (2) @ $326.56 each

as for installation, I have a shop in Tampa that I use for my other exotics, so installation was not a big deal. Any competent shop should be able to handle it.
Thanks so Much for the info.

Driveitnow05

Oct 20, 2022
Onepunch,

Thanks again. Got it done with at my home garage through The Tire Guys at On-Site Tires here in Colorado. They have done a number of GT's and absolutly knew what they were talking about and what they were doing. 8 Year old rubber is out and new Bridgestones are ready to roll.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You will be amazed.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Onepunch,

Thanks again. Got it done with at my home garage through The Tire Guys at On-Site Tires here in Colorado. They have done a number of GT's and absolutly knew what they were talking about and what they were doing. 8 Year old rubber is out and new Bridgestones are ready to roll.
I think you'll like how they drive, especially in the early morning when it's cold tires on cold pavement. You still have to be careful with power when not in a straight line but not as much as with the Goodyear hockey pucks.

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Well I figure I ought to check in as well. Sorry if I’m ”hijacking” your thread but also a new owner. My car is a second owner, also was BAT and it’s the Midnight car from Maryland a couple weeks ago. I had it taken immediately to Bob Ida in NJ and he’s running through the common items. Bridgestones, transaxle bolts, fluids and filters. My control arms are loose so we are trying to chase down new arms (mine are machined so I hate to see them go just because the bushings need to be replaced but oh well?!). It has a pulley and tune (611 at wheels on Dyno) so we are adding additional cooling. Has Ford Racing exhaust already and Setrab transaxle cooler. In short someone (1st owner) put some work and money in the car. 2nd owner from whom I acquired it must not have known any of this as it was not in the listing. So the question is should I assume this was tracked and if so is there a way to find out who owner #1 was and get the story on the car? Anything else I should look at, be worried about, etc? Thanks in advance for helping a newbie! I’m in St Louis and should get the car back this way in January. Killing me to “own” the car and wait 3 months to drive it! ~Zach

Reactions: extrap

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
Well I figure I ought to check in as well. Sorry if I’m ”hijacking” your thread but also a new owner. My car is a second owner, also was BAT and it’s the Midnight car from Maryland a couple weeks ago. I had it taken immediately to Bob Ida in NJ and he’s running through the common items. Bridgestones, transaxle bolts, fluids and filters. My control arms are loose so we are trying to chase down new arms (mine are machined so I hate to see them go just because the bushings need to be replaced but oh well?!). It has a pulley and tune (611 at wheels on Dyno) so we are adding additional cooling. Has Ford Racing exhaust already and Setrab transaxle cooler. In short someone (1st owner) put some work and money in the car. 2nd owner from whom I acquired it must not have known any of this as it was not in the listing. So the question is should I assume this was tracked and if so is there a way to find out who owner #1 was and get the story on the car? Anything else I should look at, be worried about, etc? Thanks in advance for helping a newbie! I’m in St Louis and should get the car back this way in January. Killing me to “own” the car and wait 3 months to drive it! ~Zach

one thing that was discovered on my car was some slight seepage on 2 of the shocks. So I had all 4 replaced just to be safe. I also had the oil pump replaced.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Those modifications are very common with just general ownership so I don't think you can assume it was tracked. Especially if the transaxle bolts were not replaced. How many miles on the car with control arms being loose?

Reactions: white out and 2112

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Those modifications are very common with just general ownership so I don't think you can assume it was tracked. Especially if the transaxle bolts were not replaced. How many miles on the car with control arms being loose?
I think the transaxle bolts were changed previously but with a very early “fix” Bob had the newer style and put them in. 14k miles on the car. It is not clear to me if the control arm bushings are serviceable or not, I keep seeing references to “seals” as well as bushings. I’ve seen comments that bushings are not replaceable. Still learning. I know it’s with the right shop in NJ but I’ve been out of the country since I bought it and communicating primarily via text. Appreciate the responses!

Welcome! Seems like control arms would take quite a bit of use to require replacement. What's the mileage on your car?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I also had the oil pump replaced.

Oil pump or oil pump belt? It's pretty rare to need to replace the pump but the belt is a service item.

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
I was told belt and that Bob has never replaced a pump.
Oil pump or oil pump belt? It's pretty rare to need to replace the pump but the belt is a service item.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I was under the impression that the billet arms could have the bushings pressed out and replaced.

Maybe not?

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
both.

It was recommended by Rick at Sarasota Ford due to a leak.