New Owner / Member here

ShankGT

GT Owner
Apr 19, 2006
Just bought a White/Blue Tripes loaded 06. What is the break in period?

ANyone know any good dealers in IL / mechanics that you recommend?

I'm also interested in ecu/pulley/exhaust mods if theres any recommendations, bring it on.

-Shank

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
congrats

Best of luck to you! Loosen the motor up right, no launches or high (over 3500-4000) rpm's for the first 400-500 miles is what I've been told. Wouldn't do any mods until then either. Enjoy the car and drive it with care!!! :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Where at in IL? North or South?

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Congrats Shank! You will love the car. This forum is not nearly as busy as 6speed :wink , but there is a wealth of information from a lot of really good people here. :thumbsup Enjoy the new ride! :banana

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
bigdan40 said:
Best of luck to you! Loosen the motor up right, no launches or high (over 3500-4000) rpm's for the first 400-500 miles is what I've been told. Wouldn't do any mods until then either. Enjoy the car and drive it with care!!! :cheers
Fat Chance anybody followed this. :banana

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Look at the source.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Time to grow up fjpikul. If you have a problem I'm always available to sort things out! Who do you think you are to criticize me? If you don't like my opinions that's your problem. In the meantime I would suggest keeping your comments that are derogatory to yourself! And yes, I'm the source. I congratulate ShankGT on his new car with some good advice (I enjoyed FordGT001's comical reply) and then you upset the cart. Tone it down or we can PM and figure out a way to settle. P.S. Did this out in the open for other readers to view intentionally...

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
ROCMAN said:
Congrats Shank! You will love the car. This forum is not nearly as busy as 6speed :wink , but there is a wealth of information from a lot of really good people here. :thumbsup Enjoy the new ride! :banana

can you send me the link to the 6speed forum you are refering to?

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Welcome, enjoy and be safe! Steve

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
ROCMAN said:

This might be a dumb question but I'll ask.
Are there any GT owners on there? I only saw icons for Porsche and nothing else. Unless of course this is a P-car only website.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
There are a couple of GT owners there, but it is not a GT site. That forum site is for Porsches. It is a pretty busy forum though.

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
Ok. I was going to offer my services to them also but I don't think it would be worth the while then.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
NOTE: this is from an old post!

NOTE: this is from an old post!

Some of "Jay's Laws":

1. Never "thrash" (drive hard) on a cold engine. Always wait until the water temperature is >160 F (in other words, approaches equalibrium). The moving components within the engine expand at different rates and therefore their proper clearances aren't established until then. Your GT engine has forged pistons which must be up to operating temperature before the proper piston to cylinder wall clearance is established.

2. The tranny will shift with some difficulty until warm, especially into second gear. Be gentle on it, as with time (about 2,000 miles or so) it will begin to shift more smoothly. Shift from 1st to 3rd (bypassing 2nd) or double-clutch if needed.

3. Stop-and-go city driving is a better way to break in a GT (this is my opinion, based on the transmission issues). Shift through all of the gears whenever possible which also operates the engine at many different RPM's.

4. Resist the urge to get too wild and crazy, give it some time to generate a good feel for the car. You have a lot of power here. Most GT disasters occur during that "got to get in it quick and see what this baby can do" moment. This ain't no Yugo...

5. Be extra careful when backing up, due to very limited visibility. The front spoiler also needs consideration. The rear diffuser hangs fairly low, so be careful when going through nasty road bumps (I got nicked on day two...).

6. I now supply my auto detailer with cleaning supplies to be used on my car only (buffing wheels, polishing clothes. etc.). I wash them myself. I don't want someone else's dirty laundry being used on my car!

7. At the tire shop, I have my own personal replaceable plastic parts for their tire changing machine that are to be used only on my wheels. I paid for these parts and they swap them out temporarily for use on my car. Sure, it cost more, but I like to keep things clean.

8. Cold tires and cold and/or wet pavement can be a dangerous combo. Remember Roberto Guerrero in the beginning lap of the Indy 500, years ago? Your car has enough power to reproduce that maneuver!

Spend some time reviewing the numerous postings on this forum as we are fortunate to have an excellent group here!

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Always wait until the water temperature is >160 F

That's all good advice Jay, but it should be noted that water temp is not the best indication of a warm (i.e., ready to be pounced on) motor. Oil temp is really what you want to go by. Rule of thumb would suggest about 2X the time it takes for the water temp to come up before I would play hard on the motor. My opinion, and I am sure there are many others....

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Of course!

nota4re said:
That's all good advice Jay, but it should be noted that water temp is not the best indication of a warm (i.e., ready to be pounced on) motor. Oil temp is really what you want to go by. Rule of thumb would suggest about 2X the time it takes for the water temp to come up before I would play hard on the motor. My opinion, and I am sure there are many others....
You are absolutely correct! I was afraid of getting too technical (I didn't want Lemansz to scold me again!). I have just seen to much "unnecessary roughness" over the years. Thanks for the good advice, Jay

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Congratulations Shank. If you live anywhere near El Paso, IL, you are in luck. Neil Heller is a GT Owner, GT Forum Member, Ford Dealer and a genuinely good guy. I believe his dealership is in central Illinois. If he's too far away, he may have a suggestion for you. Neil can be reached at neilheller@hellerstores.com Good luck!

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Hey Shank.