GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Already a topic...

Reactions: Nyamg1128

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
Oh lordie here we go with the continuation thing.
there are way more than 30 chassis out there. The GT1 project is way different than a continuation thing ala new Shelby cobras forever........

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
In conclusion: the new/old GTs being built are and have "continuation" chassis numbers
cheers

Last edited:

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
If I may chime in here: I think where the confusion in verbage comes from is the difference between "continuation" cars and "continuation" chassis. A lot of GT owners don't realize is that GT chassis comes with a unique chassis number on the right right rear frame upright. this is not the VIN. this is a chassis number only which has no direct connection to the order of VINs that were built. VINs do not run in order of the chassis numbers, they used chassis as they came in for GT builds. Even the service chassis that have been sold for years and finally all bought up, have consecutive chassis numbers from the original build GT cars. does that make sense?? sounds confusing but it's not. Back in the day of the Boss 429 Mustangs, Kar Kraft assigned KK Nascar numbers to the cars as they were finished and no relevance to the VIN rotation numbers so KK numbers and VINS were not ran in order as the GT chassis used were not run in order to assigned GT VINs. If I've totally confused everyone I will gladly removed the post. The list of the chassis numbers vs. VINs of GT is out there somewhere. I believe one of our good friends has it and knows what I'm talking about.
In conclusion: the new/old GTs being built are and have "continuation" chassis numbers
cheers
Thanks Scott. I appreciate the fact that the service chassis has a part number and is serialized. I was just bemoaning the concept that new Ford GTs will start to materialize like the CSX shelby cobras. Last time I checked, a few left over Shelby chassis and/or CSX #s had morphed into even CSX 6000 series and on and on.
When we were at Saleen SSV in 2006 most of the cars had tape on them identifying their intended VIN. That VIN number got engraved into two locations different from where the chassis numbers are. I suspect you are absolutely correct that there is a list of chassis numbers correlated to assigned VIN. I have both build books for our cars but have never looked for that information. Next time I pull them out, will look. Thanks

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Thanks Scott. I appreciate the fact that the service chassis has a part number and is serialized. I was just bemoaning the concept that new Ford GTs will start to materialize like the CSX shelby cobras. Last time I checked, a few left over Shelby chassis and/or CSX #s had morphed into even CSX 6000 series and on and on.
When we were at Saleen SSV in 2006 most of the cars had tape on them identifying their intended VIN. That VIN number got engraved into two locations different from where the chassis numbers are. I suspect you are absolutely correct that there is a list of chassis numbers correlated to assigned VIN. I have both build books for our cars but have never looked for that information. Next time I pull them out, will look. Thanks
perfect!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kpgarage

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Oh lordie here we go with the continuation thing.
there are way more than 30 chassis out there. The GT1 project is way different than a continuation thing ala new Shelby cobras forever........
I agree and yes Fred bought the last 25 or so plus the ones earlier from me. I sold over 55 chassis’s before that took place tho. There were 93 total when I started the group buy's. Ford kept some also, but they are not for sale now. Sounds great as a sales pitch and to hype the car up as far as the LAST 30 and then there are no more, but the reality is there are another 45 or so out there still. I have already bought a few back of those to fix wrecked cars.

Kevin you are also one of a few out of the 55+ chassis's i've sold that is actually building a car.. Your wide body stuff is coming out of the wide body oem style molds that the late Ray H. had made for his wide body project.. Pretty much the same look to Fred's stuff, although they made some adjustments and changes to their stuff.

I hope he sells all 30 cars. Would be great to see it happen for the effort he's putting into it all..

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A lot of GT owners don't realize is that GT chassis comes with a unique chassis number on the right right rear frame upright. this is not the VIN.
That number is a serial number. Every major component in every car made has a serial number that is part of a monster vendor data base (ex, Takata air bags) They keep track of non-serialized components (like nuts and bolts) by vendor batch number (ex, GT axle bolts) How do you think they track you down for recalls?

cheers

Perhaps a better term - one that is not so heavily overloaded in the auto space - would be that these GT chassis are CONTIGUOUS or CONSECUTIVE.

Reactions: Kpgarage

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
excellent!

Last edited:
Reactions: spartan

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
dan, I know you and I don't agree on much but it would be interesting to see just how many chassis were actually used for GT builds. in the beginning of 2018, Ford showed inventory of 97 chassis in the warehouse. I bought 4-5 individual units and then bought the quantity of 5 units 3 different times, plus yours plus Fred's so I know of 15 of mine that were used for re-build of crash cars and build ups into GTs. so you are correct , there are a lot of frames that were sold, much more than just Fred's 32. so where will they all end up or will they all ever get built? my guess is NO. parts have gotten really stupid in price if available at all so to think you're going to build a GT from buying parts from the dealer is a lost cause in my opinion. you'd be better off to buy a done car these days the way I see it. jmo
There is def no building gt’s from parts anymore unless you have a wrecked car or two laying around. I would imagine most of the chassis’s bought from ford will repair cars long before they will be come kit cars as there is just too much stuff for an average person to manufacture or find to make one a car. I would rather see that happen anyways. But that’s just me.

Also A lot of these auction cars coming up will soon turn into parts cars.