New Member Introduction

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
welcome to the greatest cat forum in the world!

Fantastic, we have two Siberian cats....had no idea this was such a great resource

Welcome OP, unfortunately all I know about Switzerland are watches. Enjoy your Dad's gift

Hirschy

Nov 11, 2021
Orono, MN
Welcome. I own it’s older brother. This is a great place. Plan to meet others and go to rally’s when you can. Careful driving in the US. People go crazy when they see these cars in the wild.

Thank you.

Hirschy

Nov 11, 2021
Orono, MN
Welcome, thanks for posting your story.

Hard to move forward sometimes after a great loss.

So glad you've decided that your dad's FGT is a keeper.

And glad it has a blue stripe, you'll see it easier in the MN snow!
Thank you.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Willkommen!

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Willkommen!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome. Sorry for your loss. You obviously kept the greatest car, but what other cars were in the collection?

Hirschy

Nov 11, 2021
Orono, MN
Welcome. Sorry for your loss. You obviously kept the greatest car, but what other cars were in the collection?
Thank you very much. My dad had a taste for "different" cars. He liked special cars, but nothing which was too in your face flashy. He was an understated gentleman type of owner/driver. He had mainly Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, Aston Martin and McLaren products. His favorite cars were the Mercedes SLR's. He had 3 of them and was an avid member of the SLR club, rarely ever missing an event. His favorite car to drive was his 2009 SLR 722s that he put almost 30k kilometers on, almost all of which were with the SLR club doing spirited drives across Europe with track days breaking up the drives. I really wanted to keep that car more than any of them, as he truly loved and enjoyed it. I tried for over two years to import it, even with the help of the MB factory, but to no avail, it simply was not possible. Letting that one go recently really hurt. For any of you thinking about "investing" in an SLR (because there are plenty of guys claiming these are great investments) don't let the hyped up asking prices for this car fool you,. You don't get anywhere near the numbers that other SLR collectors claim these things are worth. It sold for exactly half what my father told me it was "worth" after being listed with 3 different world class car brokers, ouch!

Anyway, thanks for you message and for your kind words.

Side note - joining here has been really nice. I've been a member of various car clubs over the years, but I can't remember ever getting such a nice welcome. Thank you all!

Reactions: extrap

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
Welcome
You will love your GT here in the states.
And this forum and its members are the BEST!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What was the hold up in bringing the SLR here?

Spaceman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 1, 2012
Central Texas
Welcome aboard, you have come to exactly the right place. Thanks for sharing!

Hirschy

Nov 11, 2021
Orono, MN
What was the hold up in bringing the SLR here?
The main issue was getting a replacement gauge cluster. Standard SLR clusters are already very difficult to get, but they only made enough 722 clusters to complete the production run. The story goes McLaren was kind enough to destroy all of the tooling for SLR after some kind of fight with MB, meaning no replacement parts can be made. I was told this is why you can't get replacement parts for SLR of any kind really. Mercedes Benz told me my only option was to wait for another 722 to get totaled, and then hope to be able to buy the cluster out of that car. You can imagine the likelihood of that happening.

The only other option for importing the car would have been as "show and display" but I was advised against going that route due to the driving restrictions imposed on this status, as well as it being impossible to remove this branding from the title in the event that I ever did sell it, thereby destroying whatever value it did have. Long story long, it simply did not make sense to keep the car.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
damn 🙁

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Great story. Welcome and enjoy your car. I used to live in MN. My cars had a short driving season.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Welcome!

I WANT THAT LIFT :)

If you have a photo handy I'd like to see it "up".

Reactions: extrap

Hirschy

Nov 11, 2021
Orono, MN
Welcome!

I WANT THAT LIFT :)

If you have a photo handy I'd like to see it "up".
This is located in the garage in Switzerland, so I will request some photos and specs for the lift for you. I asked to have the car documented with photos prior to shipping it last week and these were some of what they took of the car before it was picked up.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Welcome to the GT family and forum. Looking forward to meeting you and hearing more wonderful stories and history.