New Lift

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
Got my new Back Yard Buddy lift installed. Works very well.

Lift.jpg

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Looks good. What's on top ?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
what is your ceiling height?

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
On top is my 2008 Ferrari 430 Scuderia. Fun car, but nothing like the FGT.

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
My ceiling height is 10' 3". Plenty of room in between the cars and a few inches between the ceiling and roof of Ferrari.

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
Looks GREAT!!!!!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Very nice. I've always been a big Scuderia fan.

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
I had them add three more inches to the width and glad I did. I am not used to driving on ramps or between columns. I have read that some of you have mirrors on the front posts and I think that is a great idea. I will be shopping for mirrors this weekend.

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
I'm glad you are happy with it. Enjoy.

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
Jim, I made the decision to go with back yard buddy after speaking to you and Mullet.

You have me the advice of making the lift wider and I thank you for that.

I am very happy to have my cars at home with me.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Hmm, never thought about mirrors...great idea.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Looks good. Where is your garage door?

Tomcat

GT Owner
I had them add three more inches to the width and glad I did. I am not used to driving on ramps or between columns. I have read that some of you have mirrors on the front posts and I think that is a great idea. I will be shopping for mirrors this weekend.

I have 6" fisheye (convex) mirrors on the driver's side front post and back post and have painted a white line (front tire stop line) on my lift.
9' ceilings in my garage allow me to stack most sports cars. I have a roller shop stool that I sit on to work under the car...very happy with my set-up.

Attachments

• front convex mirror on lift small.JPG
    front convex mirror on lift small.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 354
  • front tire mark on lift small.JPG
    front tire mark on lift small.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 280
  • rear convex mirror on lift small.JPG
    rear convex mirror on lift small.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 336

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
The mirrors and the stop line are both great ideas!

Tomcat

GT Owner
The convex makes them easy to use as you perspective changes (since you move with the car). I also added a small spot light bulb in a light fixture hooked into the garage door opener light socket and offset about 3 feet (mounted on top of the rear lift post) aimed to illuminate the white stop line since the lift is set back from the garage opening and the light on the opener is often shadowed as the car moves forward.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...have painted a white line (front tire stop line) on my lift.

...I also added a small spot light bulb in a light fixture...aimed to illuminate the white stop line...

'Guess once again I'm the 'low tech/no tech' guy around here. :facepalm:

I just suspended a rubber ball from a ceiling joist via a thin cord. When the ball hung directly beside the little 'quarter window pillar' on the driver's door - I knew the car was right where I wanted it. 'Mucho simple-o...which always works best for Pockets.

Tomcat

GT Owner
'Guess once again I'm the 'low tech/no tech' guy around here. :facepalm:

I just suspended a rubber ball from a ceiling joist via a thin cord. When the ball hung directly beside the little 'quarter window pillar' on the driver's door - I knew the car was right where I wanted it. 'Mucho simple-o...which always works best for Pockets.
:)
That reminds me of the $1M pen NASA developed to write in zero G and all orientations in space...the Russians just used pencils.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
That reminds me of the $1M pen NASA developed to write in zero G and all orientations in space...the Russians just used pencils.

Typical!! :lol

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Guess I am old school too.
1. For the car on the top of the hoist I attach the ball to the ceiling...
2. For the car that I pull in under the hoist I have a ball attached to the bottom of the hoist that contacts the drivers side windshield ( for Margaret's car.
Simple , adjustable and costs about "$.10".
ajb (andy)

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.

The story is actually much more interesting than that. ;)

p.s.-NASA didn't spend any money on developing the space pen, contrary to popular belief.

http://history.nasa.gov/spacepen.html

"Fisher offered the pens to NASA in 1965, but, because of the earlier controversy, the agency was hesitant in its approach. In 1967, after rigorous tests, NASA managers agreed to equip the Apollo astronauts with these pens. Media reports indicate that approximately 400 pens were purchased from Fisher at $6 per unit for Project Apollo.

The Soviet Union also purchased 100 of the Fisher pens, and 1,000 ink cartridges, in February 1969, for use on its Soyuz space flights. Previously, its cosmonauts had been using grease pencils to write in orbit."