New GT break-in proceedure

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I've done a search and can't find anything on this topic, but I swear I read something in a thread about break-in proceedure and also how to let the ECU "re-learn" after a battery change. Does anyone know where this thread is located?
Thanks

dbtgt

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Thanks, Centerpunch! Duh! Too much excitement around here with the arrival of the GT yesterday! :banana

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
DBT, I'm not an expert, however I'm an enthusiastic collector. There appear to be two schools of thought on running in an engine - one, expressed here before, is to "drive it like you stole it" from day one. The other, which I firmly believe in is simply this:

No higher revs than 3,500 for the first 200 miles. No higher than 4,500 for the first 500 miles. Don't sit at a constant speed you need frequent gear changing and varying speeds. Don't be in the wrong gear going up hill or pulling away (i.e. so that that the engine won't labour).

Once you're at 500 miles, just go a bit easy over 4,000 rpm. 750 miles and you're nearly there, 1,000 miles and you're engine's perfectly run in (broken in). Some say that it's 1500 miles before it's completely free - but a sensible 1,000 miles of driving and then you can be a lunatic is my thinking!

I've asked pretty much every head technician at garages where I've had cars - from Lamborghini to Aston, Ferrari etc etc. They all say that if you break them in hard (i.e. ignore the advice above) that the engine will be a fraction quicker (not by much and hardly measurable) however it will be noisier (rattles) and ultimately may not be oil tight long-term.

Ask a salesman "oh yeah, they're all bench tested and already broken in - just put your foot down"! Treat it with courtesy and you'll be rewarded. The temptation to mash the throttle is almost overwhelming. Resist it is my advice.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
dbtgt, great to talk to you, hopefully all is well , good luck with the car. see you in wixom . gtjoey :thumbsup

dbtgt

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Thanks Neilda for the advise and thanks gtjoey for the effort to make the Wixom rally happen!

uli_699

Jan 10, 2006
Neilda said:
No higher revs than 3,500 for the first 200 miles. No higher than 4,500 for the first 500 miles. Don't sit at a constant speed you need frequent gear changing and varying speeds. Don't be in the wrong gear going up hill or pulling away (i.e. so that that the engine won't labour).

Once you're at 500 miles, just go a bit easy over 4,000 rpm. 750 miles and you're nearly there, 1,000 miles and you're engine's perfectly run in (broken in). Some say that it's 1500 miles before it's completely free - but a sensible 1,000 miles of driving and then you can be a lunatic is my thinking! .

Neilda, this is a perfect description how a break in should be done (regardless of engine type and manufacturer, however revs may change a bit :wink ).

Perhaps there is one thing to add:
Always check that the oil temp is above 80°C before you "put the pedal to the metal" :biggrin

Everybody who proposes "....just put the pedal down" does not know too much about what is happening inside an engine.

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
All good advice posted above.

I have had several engine builders recommend running up a few thousand RPM then backng off and allow the compression to slow you back down. Repeat this a few times for the first few times you run the new motor. Seems it is supposed to help seat the rings.

I think part of the reason for taking it easy during the break in period is to allow the moving parts (tranny, bearings, bushings,etc.) to wear in. Also the guide for your new tire usually states that they need a few hundred miles to break in for best performance.

check that the oil temp is above 80°C
I don't remember seeing an oil temp gauge in my GT...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Thanks Uli... Yes you're right about having the oil temperature (or simply engine temperature) up to 'normal'.

Having said all of that, it is incredibly hard not to drive a car like the GT (is there a car 'like' the GT?!) without going fast.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
does anyone know in the 2006 manuel, where the ECU resetting procdures are in realtion to a discharge battery?