New Exhaust System

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
JOHN DISALVATORE said:
HAVE YOU DONE ANY OTHER MOD FOR PERFORMANCE?

Look at this thread - lots of info. GTs can easily run in the 11's, and a couple are in the 10's. Joe seems to be going for 9's.

Seems fast enough for a street car IMHO :biggrin

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
EasyEric said:
I agree with lthlvpr.

A good custom exhaust or muffler shop should be able to bend some 3 inch pipe, weld on some flanges and some chrome tips for a LOT less than $3000.

Indeed, if one were so inclined, said muffler shop could cut the stock flanges off and, using sizing adapters and clamps, reorient them approximately 90 degrees so the new custom exhaust pipes could exit the rear more gracefully (i.e., straighter exit by eliminatinmg that large curve in the pipe shown on Mr. Ida's site).

Comments?
The curve and shape are used to create a "less than straight pipe" sound as well as maintaining the optimum backpressure for overall performance.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
John

Call him and I am sure you will be happy

Dave
JOHN DISALVATORE said:
DO YOU HAVE A MORE SPECIFIC DATE? I THOUGHT IDA WAS ALLREADY SELLING THE SYSTEM? BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW WHEN IT IS AVAIL. I WILL BE #3. HAVE YOU DONE ANY OTHER MOD FOR PERFORMANCE?

dw]A new exhaust system is very close to being offered through Ford made by Bob Ida of IdaAutomotive/Perfectpower of Morganville, NJ. www.IdaAutomotive.com or PerfectPowerUSA.com

Bob's new exhaust weighs just 10 pounds including brackets. The stock muffler with brackets weighs 60.5 pounds. It is an exhaust system not a muffler and keeps the cats. Polished stainless, 3" with these additional specs:
10 to 20+ hp over stock
coolant temp decrease of 20 degrees
polished brackets
vintage GT40 sound

This new exhaust was done to reduce operating temps for those who use their cars normally as well as tracking their cars. Mine will be the second car done after the prototype.

Dave
[/QUOTE]

JOHN DISALVATORE

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2006
POTOMAC MARYLAND
Please let me know! John Disalvatore

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
I'm interested but would like more information on sound. Specifically, how many Decibels under full throttle? Many tracks have Db limits.

KenBMD

Feb 22, 2006
Is this just for the exhaust/no headers? That seems pricey. Also, I'd like to see an independent dyno test. That graph shows large gains throughout the powerband and that usually doesn't happen with an exhaust upgrade. Gains usually don't come in until the higher RPMs. That graph looks to be more the result of tuning.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
I am the owner of 1442 which Bob Ida has been working on. I originally posted a new thread back in October regarding the temperatures in my car. I asked if anyone had any problems with their car (when hot) running at 240 degrees. Also, I was noticing that after driving at 60 MPH for 10 min.I could tell a drop in HP, and the car felt sluggish at times. Let the car cool, and for the first 5 or so min. it would be very responsive. We proved this (finally) on a dyno test. Bob Ida found that at running temperatures of 220 and above, the HP was reduced by almost 45 HP. Someone mentioned that after a long running stint they could put their hand on the muffler....I really doubt that very much. The heat that was eminating from the engine compartment was such that one could not get near the open hatch, let alone put their hand inside and touch anything. Ford could not do anything to reduce the temperatures, they claimed that it was normal. I dissagreed. Proof...Bob Ida Automotive. After studying the problem , he suggested the exhaust changes.

The dyno was performed before and after to see the differences which were astounding to say the least. This weekend I will road test the car, and I will report back to you guys, so that possibly we can all get an education in air flow. Without the muffler canister, airflow is thus maximazed the way it was designed to do. So , to all you guys that doubt all this, please give me a chance to test the car in open traffic, and I will report the findings good or bad.
Thank you

Gino

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I wonder if the GT would be too loud with the Ford Performance "delete cats" headers and the "Bob's bends" system??

Any thought on that??

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gino,

Can't wait for your report. I don't want to take my cats off because in AZ we have to emission test every year after the car is 4 years old. Loosing the heavy muffler sounds like a good idea though.

Chip

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Me too!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
one of 101 said:
I wonder if the GT would be too loud with the Ford Performance "delete cats" headers and the "Bob's bends" system??

Any thought on that??
I've heard it with the direct exhaust headers, and man, that is loud ! I have the Borla installed, purchsed the cATLESS headers but might just wait to install them until the car is checked in in Europe. Don't think they are too loud. Usually the sound gets fuller if the cats are out, as the resonance tunnel gets longer. I wouldn't worry about that.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Gino and I trust Bob. He really does it and yes there was a dyno tune.

Dave

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC

4. I also have a hard time believing that there is an intake temperature decrease under actual driving conditions since there is lots of air circulating though the engine compartment, by design. Since the huge box muffler is double-walled it therefore acts a thermal insulator. Heck, I can put my hand on it after a long drive, so how can it be heating things up? The cats are always a huge source of heat! They have to be, otherwise they wouldn't be doing their job! Am I misunderstanding something here?

Dave, I am very interested in one of these setups, as it's very close to the way I would have done it! Thanks,

Jay[/QUOTE]
ay
I burnt my hand pretty good last night by touching the muffler after a 25 mile ride. If you can really put your hand on it after a drive maybe there is something wrong with mine!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Cool down period?

saber said:

4. I also have a hard time believing that there is an intake temperature decrease under actual driving conditions since there is lots of air circulating though the engine compartment, by design. Since the huge box muffler is double-walled it therefore acts a thermal insulator. Heck, I can put my hand on it after a long drive, so how can it be heating things up? The cats are always a huge source of heat! They have to be, otherwise they wouldn't be doing their job! Am I misunderstanding something here?

Dave, I am very interested in one of these setups, as it's very close to the way I would have done it! Thanks,

Jay
ay
I burnt my hand pretty good last night by touching the muffler after a 25 mile ride. If you can really put your hand on it after a drive maybe there is something wrong with mine![/QUOTE]

Saber,

Perhaps my car gets a "cool down" period because I coast down a hill prior to pulling into my driveway. Now you have me curious and I will pay more attention to this!

Thanks for the info, Jay

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
red gt 1442 said:
I am the owner of 1442 which Bob Ida has been working on. I originally posted a new thread back in October regarding the temperatures in my car. I asked if anyone had any problems with their car (when hot) running at 240 degrees. Also, I was noticing that after driving at 60 MPH for 10 min.I could tell a drop in HP, and the car felt sluggish at times. Let the car cool, and for the first 5 or so min. it would be very responsive. We proved this (finally) on a dyno test. Bob Ida found that at running temperatures of 220 and above, the HP was reduced by almost 45 HP. Someone mentioned that after a long running stint they could put their hand on the muffler....I really doubt that very much. The heat that was eminating from the engine compartment was such that one could not get near the open hatch, let alone put their hand inside and touch anything. Ford could not do anything to reduce the temperatures, they claimed that it was normal. I dissagreed. Proof...Bob Ida Automotive. After studying the problem , he suggested the exhaust changes.

The dyno was performed before and after to see the differences which were astounding to say the least. This weekend I will road test the car, and I will report back to you guys, so that possibly we can all get an education in air flow. Without the muffler canister, airflow is thus maximazed the way it was designed to do. So , to all you guys that doubt all this, please give me a chance to test the car in open traffic, and I will report the findings good or bad.
Thank you

Gino
Ok guys, I picked up my car as scheduled on sunday morning. Checked out the exhaust and it really looks sweet. I then checked out the dyno graphs, which show the before and after of the exhaust change. No the car was not tuned, as someone suggested, the proof is in the higher RPM's where the car is running rich. A tune would of given the graph more of a linear line towards the final rpm's. I have asked Bob Ida to post that graph so that you guys can see the car making more HP with this system.

I got in the car, started it, and oh boy...does it sound sweet. I love the sound. Will it pass inspection? absolutely. Will it pass emissions? according to Bob Ida, Yes. Nothing was touched with the emissions, the cats are in place as they were. I took the car out for a test drive. I noticed that if you feather the gas pedal the noise is very acceptable. almost like a borla exhaust. When u get into it, well you guys have to experience it..it is magic. The noise is definetly there, it sounds like a race car in heat. The car was much more responsive, and feels like it should. The most important thing that i noticed right off the bat: After driving at 60 MPH for about 15 min, I saw the temperature clime to 180,,,,,then in traffic within 5 min. to 210..as i started to move back to 60mph i saw the temp go back down to around 200..and it basically remained there for the trip of approximately 50 miles. I did some noise tests of my own ,,at 70 mph in 6th with the window up, i could hear the supercharger and not the exaust. At 70mph in 4th gear, with the window open i could barely hear the exaust, almost like a mild rumbling and totally acceptable by me. According to the dyno graphs I saw, the car definetely shows more HP now and sure feels like it on hard acceleration. Interestingly enough, I pulled up to a traffic light where a Cop had a car pulled over to my right. As i waited for the light to change, I purposevely looked over to see any reaction from the officer. None. When the light changed, I slowly pulled away, watching for any reaction from the officer that was standing right there on the right..None.

So I am very happy with the way things worked out so far. As I put more miles on my car, I wil report on this new exhaust system. Almost forgot, after running the car, and placed in my garage, I put my hand on the back panel and I was able to place it there with no problem....try it on your car after a stint, let me know if you can. I couldn't do this before, i can now.

Gino

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Gino-

Could you post a couple photos of the install? One of the rear showing the tips and another with the rear clam up pointed toward where the stock muffler was?

Thanks. -Chris

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Florida Chris said:
Gino-

Could you post a couple photos of the install? One of the rear showing the tips and another with the rear clam up pointed toward where the stock muffler was?

Thanks. -Chris

I would really like to see a pic of those tubes before they are installed!!!

Anyone??

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Waiting for images

red gt 1442 said:
Ok guys, I picked up my car as scheduled on sunday morning. Checked out the exhaust and it really looks sweet. I then checked out the dyno graphs, which show the before and after of the exhaust change. No the car was not tuned, as someone suggested, the proof is in the higher RPM's where the car is running rich. A tune would of given the graph more of a linear line towards the final rpm's. I have asked Bob Ida to post that graph so that you guys can see the car making more HP with this system.

I got in the car, started it, and oh boy...does it sound sweet. I love the sound. Will it pass inspection? absolutely. Will it pass emissions? according to Bob Ida, Yes. Nothing was touched with the emissions, the cats are in place as they were. I took the car out for a test drive. I noticed that if you feather the gas pedal the noise is very acceptable. almost like a borla exhaust. When u get into it, well you guys have to experience it..it is magic. The noise is definetly there, it sounds like a race car in heat. The car was much more responsive, and feels like it should. The most important thing that i noticed right off the bat: After driving at 60 MPH for about 15 min, I saw the temperature clime to 180,,,,,then in traffic within 5 min. to 210..as i started to move back to 60mph i saw the temp go back down to around 200..and it basically remained there for the trip of approximately 50 miles. I did some noise tests of my own ,,at 70 mph in 6th with the window up, i could hear the supercharger and not the exaust. At 70mph in 4th gear, with the window open i could barely hear the exaust, almost like a mild rumbling and totally acceptable by me. According to the dyno graphs I saw, the car definetely shows more HP now and sure feels like it on hard acceleration. Interestingly enough, I pulled up to a traffic light where a Cop had a car pulled over to my right. As i waited for the light to change, I purposevely looked over to see any reaction from the officer. None. When the light changed, I slowly pulled away, watching for any reaction from the officer that was standing right there on the right..None.

So I am very happy with the way things worked out so far. As I put more miles on my car, I wil report on this new exhaust system. Almost forgot, after running the car, and placed in my garage, I put my hand on the back panel and I was able to place it there with no problem....try it on your car after a stint, let me know if you can. I couldn't do this before, i can now.

Gino
Gino,

Thanks for the excellent description! I this on my "want list."

I would love to see some more dyno images posted, before and after with A/F ratios.

Thanks, Jay

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
analogdesigner said:
Gino,

Thanks for the excellent description! I this on my "want list."

I would love to see some more dyno images posted, before and after with A/F ratios.

Thanks, Jay

Jay

Give Bob Ida a call and he will provide the information.

Dave

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jay,
from what Gino is telling here, for sure Ida fixed the A/F ratio.. Is so fat in standard, almost an environmental sin !