New Exhaust System

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
I also live in Staten Island and am having it and the Kenne Bell upgrade done by Bob next week. Will post the results so we can end the debate.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I don't want to say anything to the detriment of merit, it is probably real good exhaust. However when you reduce flow resistance for hot gasses, automatically you have less heattransfer within the engineroom. However, to cover the headers with heatresistant insulation adds to the same. Seen it done many times before, with the beefed upp Subarus end Supra turbos for example.

Since I have the Borla, that also reduces the heatcapacity under the hood and has less flow resistance than the standard, I also believe I see a reduction in overheating. In fact, my car doen's get over 200 very often, despite I drive it mostly in Florida and often pushing it... :biggrin

All I'm trying to say is, this discussed exhaust here is not like a fridge but achieves a thermodynamical standard phenomenon, that other flow resistance reducing sport exhausts do aswell. However, potentially to a lesser degree though, not clear until it would be measured..

Insulating the heat dissipation from the hot pies in an engine room always make sense. Anybody wrapped the pipes with teflontape or something?

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
In my opinion, increase the exposed surface area and you will increase the under hood temperatures. Headers generally increase the exposed surface area and as a result increase the under hood temperatures. Yes there are a whole list of different kinds of coatings that are available to reduce the heat released from headers and the like. Some work well, however, I have not yet found a coating that holds up to extreme conditions such as a turbo car or hard track use. Bob Ida evidently looked long and hard at ways to reduce the under hood temperatures and came up with a real good solution. His system eliminates the huge muffler, has very little surface area, reduces the sound level enough for every day driving and retains the stock cats so it‘s likely to pass most state inspections to maintain a street legal status.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
I would be interested in seeing what kind of baffles are utilized in the system. I can see the need for the baffles to keep the noise down. I am also waiting for a max dB reading because, as stated before, some tracks have restrictions. Laguna Seca is down to 90 dB.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
BOB THIS, BOB THAT!!! :rolleyes

I would like to see some pictures of this setup... please some of Bobs buddies - post some pics of your cars when there are done..

Peace

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I just heard of a gt throttle body order from Sverige, are there any in the land of the vikings?

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I live in Copenhagen Denmark which is only a 30 min drive from Sweden... Do you have more info on that company??

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I'll try and find out. Does the new bridge make it much easier to get to Sweden?

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
californiacuda said:
I'll try and find out. Does the new bridge make it much easier to get to Sweden?
Great with the bridge - I'm 10 miunutes from there... How come you know about northern Europe?? :)

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Wife and her family from Gotland.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ahh.. Jetta kul ;-)

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
So you can cheer for Sweden in the World Cup - cuz they will do way better then the USA... ha ha ha

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Hockey also!!!!

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Exhaust

Greetings folks,
The Easter Bunny brought my GT in a big Truck:
http://64.62.242.228/GT/Delivery.jpg
and I have been following the discussions on this forum since. It has been a great place to see what others are doing or having difficulty with. I personally find my exhaust sound kind of wimpy. I have not been into the performance aspects yet. I think the Borla system is probably the answer for the best performance, but I have to live in the neighborhood even though Mr. Rogers died. I agree that $5000 to put into some mass- produced tubing is a bit steep. But you have to consider working with stainless is not easy, and Ford has a lot of overhead. I built this toy
http://64.62.242.228/GT/Other.jpg
back in 1978 after learning turbo-charging from AK Miller. So exhaust pipe and I go way back. I’m prototyping a Cat Back exhaust to suit me and would be interested to hear if anyone else is interested. It will have 4 X 5 inch oval exit pipes. The picture shows a round pipe I’m cutting and getting ready to smash. It will be open for performance but accept muffler inserts when I want to go to the grocery store.
http://64.62.242.228/GT/Exit.jpg
Here is an input look. A heavy-duty stainless bracket will hold this thing in the back of the car. I don’t want it flopping around.
http://64.62.242.228/GT/Input.jpg
It will have a more Manly look and sound. Sort of the Tool Time approach to exhaust.
http://64.62.242.228/GT/Manly.jpg
I’m still hacking away and rigging some tooling to get it finished. A couple more weeks and I should be ready for the dyno to get a before and after comparison. Drop an email to donbeach@ij.net and I’ll send you info on the results.