New Big Budget movie in the works

Nash

FORD GT OWNER
Apr 27, 2008
Anyone else hear about Michael Mann directing a movie about Ford and Ferrari Le Mans battle ?

Apprently its like the movie The Right Stuff on a racetrack.

Should be good!!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yes, I think there is another post about it around here somewhere. It sounds awesome!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This is likely the rumored movie version of A.J. Baime's "Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans". The book has been optioned and a script was in progress. Last I heard from AJ the project was on hold for some other movies of similar subject matter including a biopic of Carroll Shelby.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Saw this from a press release on the Cobra forum:

Michael Mann in talks for film about '67 Le Mans

Pamela McClintock Reuters
4:16 p.m. CDT, May 27, 2011

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Michael Mann is in talks with 20th Century Fox to develop and potentially direct "Go Like Hell," the real-life story of the famous competition between the Ford Motor Co. and Ferrari that led to Ford winning the Le Mans in 1967.

Ford was the first American car maker to win the world's oldest car race, held annually in France. For years, Ferrari had dominated the contest.

Based on A.J. Baime's book, the Fox project recounts how a young Henry Ford II -- determined to infuse new life into his family's company -- decided to get into the European racing scene.

With the help of racer Carroll Shelby and Lee Iacocca, Ford built and designed a car that could take on Ferrari cars, known for their speed and style. They ultimately won the Le Mans.

Insiders say the initial idea was for Mann to develop the script.

Looks like it might be getting some legs again!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
His Movie version of Miami Vice was a bust. Hardly any offshore action.

Hope he can focus on the racing in this one.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
If it happens and is a hit look for GTs to appreciate even more.

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
If it happens and is a hit look got GTs to appreciate even more.

I "appreciate" my GT already by driving it.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Saw this from a press release on the Cobra forum:

Michael Mann in talks for film about '67 Le Mans

Pamela McClintock Reuters
4:16 p.m. CDT, May 27, 2011

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Michael Mann is in talks with 20th Century Fox to develop and potentially direct "Go Like Hell," the real-life story of the famous competition between the Ford Motor Co. and Ferrari that led to Ford winning the Le Mans in 1967.

Ford was the first American car maker to win the world's oldest car race, held annually in France. For years, Ferrari had dominated the contest.

Based on A.J. Baime's book, the Fox project recounts how a young Henry Ford II -- determined to infuse new life into his family's company -- decided to get into the European racing scene.

With the help of racer Carroll Shelby and Lee Iacocca, Ford built and designed a car that could take on Ferrari cars, known for their speed and style. They ultimately won the Le Mans.

Insiders say the initial idea was for Mann to develop the script.

Looks like it might be getting some legs again!

I asked Dan Gurney if he knew anything about this potential movie and he said they interviewed him and got his perspective quite awhile ago. Sounds like ground work is being done.

Red05

GT Owner
May 19, 2011
A quick Google News search reveals that this movie is indeed going to be made and most likely directly by Michael Mann and will be titled "Go Like Hell". It will be about the '67 Le Mans.