New 05 FGT owner. Any ideas on how to back it in to a two car garage

GTPOPPY

May 14, 2024
I have to park on the left side and dont want the door to hit the wall when getting in/out (if i pull it straight in)

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I have Same issue. What I did was to install a blue yoga mat on my garage wall (glue and screw) in the area where I pull in with the GT. Then I carefully open my door fully and gently press it against the yoga mat, and carefully crawl out of the open door.
Doing that since 2006.
Andy (ajb)

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Well, backup camera with new head unit would be my first suggestion....my car has that.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Welcome! 🍻 I put a piece of black electrical tape on the floor from the garage door sill to my stopping point for the passenger side rear wheel to follow precisely when backing in, but I can't see it so still requires a spotter. That gets it very tight against the left wall (when looking into the garage).

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
If you are flexible, carefully climb over the console and exit by the passenger door.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Get a Styrofoam swimming noodle and slit it down the middle. Fit it to the door edge after you pull in. Open door to maximum possible. Get out and then remove and close door. You can also use some A/C insulation. No matter what, you better be pretty nimble getting in and out. This ducking in and out gets old pretty fast.

Reactions: Brombear

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Butterfly doors

Reactions: Empty Pockets

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Well, backup camera with new head unit would be my first suggestion....my car has that.

I could never give up my Mac head unit, especially since I swapped out the Chinese crossover and door speakers for American made Mac units. Huge improvement BTW.

there’s this;

Last edited:
Reactions: jammer and Twturbo

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Duplicate post

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Evict the other car and park in the middle.

MR. 5 MPG

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2024
SoCal
Yoga mats on the wall are a great idea!

Unfortunately, they won't work for me because I have lifts in my garages. The GT goes on the bottom, but man it's close to the lift's (Autostacker scissors-type hydraulic) giant steel beams on each side as I c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y back it in. About 2 inches clearance each side.

My wife refuses to spot me, or have anything to do with helping me park it. Occasionally, a buddy will be there to help. The car is almost exactly as wide as my Ferrari F8 and my previous 812 Superfast, so I'm getting pretty good with slow backing while holding the steering wheel perfectly straight.

I will eventually want to install rear cameras on the GT. The older I get, the less flexible/twistable/contortionable I become.

BTW: Now that I've owned my GT for about 6 months, I only bonk my head on the door about half the time when getting out, in the very tight confines.

Reactions: Twturbo

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Yoga mats on the wall are a great idea!

Unfortunately, they won't work for me because I have lifts in my garages. The GT goes on the bottom, but man it's close to the lift's (Autostacker scissors-type hydraulic) giant steel beams on each side as I c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y back it in. About 2 inches clearance each side.

My wife refuses to spot me, or have anything to do with helping me park it. Occasionally, a buddy will be there to help. The car is almost exactly as wide as my Ferrari F8 and my previous 812 Superfast, so I'm getting pretty good with slow backing while holding the steering wheel perfectly straight.

I will eventually want to install rear cameras on the GT. The older I get, the less flexible/twistable/contortionable I become.

BTW: Now that I've owned my GT for about 6 months, I only bonk my head on the door about half the time when getting out, in the very tight confines.
I wonder if you ran a tape line from front to back, on only one side, maybe your wife would be willing to help then. There's no guesswork that way: "Honey, just make sure my right-rear tire follows the tape line. No need to look at the other side or anywhere else; just yell if the tire starts coming away from the tape or over the tape, and tell me which way."

Reactions: MR. 5 MPG

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It is referred to as a Gurney when you bonk your head. Usually it takes three good ones to teach you a lesson.

Reactions: MR. 5 MPG

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I use the fiberglass driveway marker. Take a block of wood about 6"x6"x1" thick, drill hole that holds the driveway marker in the center, slide a 2-5lb weight over the driveway pole to keep the wood from moving. I then put a pool noodle over the driveway pole. Then place them at the entrance of the garage on both side of the car to make sure you are centered where you want to be in the garage. I also have 3 along the back, one as a stop so I know I am all the way back and 2 on each side to make sure I go in straight.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
It is referred to as a Gurney when you bonk your head. Usually it takes three good ones to teach you a lesson.
Guess I'm a slow learner.

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
Look up Wolfbox rearview mirrors. Good backup camera solution and they even have a mount that will connect to your factory mirror.
Convex stick on mirrors are a good choice too, for your side mirrors. Then what others have said, if you HAVE to park opening the door into a wall, get something soft for the wall so you can open the door all the way into it and wiggle yourself out.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Drive in, back out.

Reactions: Vincent998

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I installed a simple WiFi enabled camera on the back wall. I then open the app on my phone and watch my screen to keep an eye on my tires location to keep me lined up. And backup real slow. I also installed yellow/black caution tape on the floor and back wall for visual reference.

Reactions: MR. 5 MPG and 2112

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have to park on the left side and dont want the door to hit the wall when getting in/out (if i pull it straight in)

Presuming the following:

(1) Objects mounted anywhere on the offending wall won't pose a problem.
(2) The car's tires don't just constitute rubber bands strrrrrretched over the wheels.
(3) The side mirror doesn't pose an issue.
and
(4) The garage floor is flat...
You could then secure a couple of 4x4s lengthwise on the floor along the bottom of said wall so that sidewalls of your car's tires will contact the 4x4s before anything else. Then, you could back the car in at 'creeping speed' correcting your course as needed.

Once the car's in place, presumably you'd then have enough room to open the driver's door and get out more easily.

I did this for one of my street machines about three(?) decades ago and found it worked quite well for me. 'Had to massage the sidewalls 'ever so slightly' afterwords to make 'em 100% puuuurdy again, but... :rolleyes: