need help with daytime running lights, using the fog lights

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Gentlemen,

since there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, here is my problem.

I have moved from one Province to another and have to have my car inspected. In order to pass the Alberta inspection I need to have daytime running lights. My GT is a US car and does not have the DRL active. I am pretty sure I can have them activated in the ECU by a dealer but prefer to not put excessive wear on the headlights.

My challenge to the group is how can I activate the fog light relay from a power source once the engine started or the key is in run ?

I do have the manuals but they are packed up because of the move, so I do not have the schematic.

Could someone help me with a simple wiring diagram of the fog lights or better yet a description or photos of where and how I can activate the fog light relay.

Thank you in advance, as time is of the essence as the weather is rapidly getting cooler and my window of time is closing.

Zach

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Crickets....crickets....is anybody out there?

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
I don't think it's a simple operation. All of the lights are controlled through the Smart Junction Box - it would take a bit of thinking about. I have the wiring diagrams if you want to drop me an email david.jones@gt101.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you use the search function for "daytime running lights" there are several topics that discuss this. It usually goes the other direction - turning it off for US imported Canadian cars. Dealers can program it but I never got an answer as to whether our tuners can access that region. I can't find it but as I recall going the other way in other for vehicles also took the addition of a relay in addition to programming them to come on. Check your owners manual for the SJB and under-trunk relay layout, there may be a clue there.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
If you use the search function for "daytime running lights" there are several topics that discuss this. It usually goes the other direction - turning it off for US imported Canadian cars. Dealers can program it but I never got an answer as to whether our tuners can access that region. I can't find it but as I recall going the other way in other for vehicles also took the addition of a relay in addition to programming them to come on. Check your owners manual for the SJB and under-trunk relay layout, there may be a clue there.

I did search, but nothing that helps me.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Zach.....when I imported my '05 I bought a '06 ECU (around $750 as I recall) and had it installed. I was told by my local Ford dealership that only the '06 ECU could be programmed for DRL (as all Can cars were '06's) so I had the car inspected and passed that way. I too would like to use the fogs instead so I will be watching this thread. Thanks for bringing it up.
PS...thanks for the advice on the new the F-type.....we love it!

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Zach.....when I imported my '05 I bought a '06 ECU (around $750 as I recall) and had it installed. I was told by my local Ford dealership that only the '06 ECU could be programmed for DRL (as all Can cars were '06's) so I had the car inspected and passed that way. I too would like to use the fogs instead so I will be watching this thread. Thanks for bringing it up.

My GT is an 06 so I can get the DRL turn on. but I prefer to use the fogs. Glad you are enjoying the F Type,

If you ever head up to Calgary, let me know. I am in the Priddis area of the Foothills.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I brought my GT to an exotic dealer who offered to help "Distinctive Collection"

The tech at the dealer did a fine job.

He tapped into the power “on” in the power distribution box in the passenger floor well. Installed a relay and sent a ground through the firewall to the fog light relay.

Thanks for your help..

Zach

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta

Distinctive Collection in Calgary, (Bentley / Aston Martin Dealer) did a fine job and was able to activate the fog lights as DRL'S.

I am sure if you are interested they would be more than happy to do the same for you. It took 2 hours but would probably take less now that they have figured it out.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
That's great news Zach......I'm aware of their location and will call to check it out. I get up to Cal (Discovery Ridge) alot so will definitely hook up sometime.Thank you kindly!

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Just give Gray a call he is the service advisor and the tech was Fouad. Very professional, he made sure I could see exactly what he did and he labeled every wire, so if in the future someone would know what was going on.