Near Big Mistake!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
So Hollywoodstunts and I worked through major fluid changes yesterday for both GTs. Sincere thank yous to Kendall and Bill/Shadowman for their telephonic assistance and advice.

When we replaced the clutch fluid in my GT, we set the puke bottle down on the frame next to the driver side exhaust manifold cover. Since the cover was a little warm, I placed a small towel between the cover and bottle.

We finalized everything and headed back home, about a 30 minute drive. I was enjoying the drive, as well as sensing the clutch and brakes for perfect performance and the coolant doing its thing via gauge.

After I rolled into the garage, I immediately smelled something burning.....and thought it was brake or clutch fluid that had leaked onto something hot. I jumped out, opened the clamshell and there it was......the small towel laying against the exhaust cover.....smoldering and singed. The GT Gods were smiling on my girl yesterday!

Later when I could laugh about it, I thought here we were, doing regular maintenance procedures on our GTs, feeling rewarded and all, and I nearly set a fire in the engine bay! Holy cow.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Glad it turned out ok!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Wow. Close call. Glad all is well.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Yikes, Kevin! Good thing you drive like a grandma or you would've really been in trouble!;) (lol, j/k)

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Yikes, Kevin! Good thing you drive like a grandma or you would've really been in trouble!;) (lol, j/k)

Thank you Ed. The truth always comes out.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
And you have no engine compartment fire extinguisher? Newbies, let this be a lesson. This happened to a seasoned owner, who, unfortunately hangs out with stuntmen.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Relieved it was nothing more than a singed towel. I think it's great that you do maintenance yourself.

Vince H

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Best to be more lucky than good.

Almost a flambe. Ouch.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
And you have no engine compartment fire extinguisher? Newbies, let this be a lesson. This happened to a seasoned owner, who, unfortunately hangs out with stuntmen.

Correct. No engine system, but a Safecraft extinguisher mounted in the cockpit. What's the likelihood an engine fire will occur in our GTs? And I mean not initiated by leaving a towel in there. I think the systems are really cool, don't get me wrong. Maybe I'm being way off base, but to me the GT engine is not anymore likely to create a fire on its own than my 2013 Taurus SHO.

Last edited:

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
A good rule of thumb, that I failed to adhere to, is to visually inspect all areas that received work.
It had been a fun, but long, day of coolant, brake and clutch fluids. Live and learn, as they say.
Thanks again for the use of the lift and the garage space. It was great hanging with you, and getting to know the GT a little more intimately.Glad your after-market gauges kept you in the loop, it's more than I can say for my stock units.
Looking forward to the "new & improved" OEM replacements.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Best to lay out your tools on a cart, inventory on a sheet of paper before the work starts and inventory after the surgery is completed, and you're GTG !. Glad to hear it was just a burned out towel Kevin.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Good tip Junior.
Thanks!

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
And if u leave a sponge behind, take an X-ray.