N00bie questions....

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
.....I am going to street.roadrace my FGT. I will make the purchase soon, a couple of questions:

1)Does the FGT have runflats?

2)Are there 19"s on the rear and if so will 18s fit, I am thinking about separate wheels and tires for the track.

3)I know the caster & toe setting but what about negative camber for street/track? On my Viper it was -1.9 front and -1.3 rear, I would imagine this might be reversed with a mid engine car. Does anyone have suggestions on this?

4)Is stock oiling sufficiant?

5) Will be used of time trials only, no races.

BTW, it will be an '06 if it matters.

Thanx

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
.....I am going to street.roadrace my FGT. I will make the purchase soon, a couple of questions:

1)Does the FGT have runflats?

2)Are there 19"s on the rear and if so will 18s fit, I am thinking about separate wheels and tires for the track.

3)I know the caster & toe setting but what about negative camber for street/track? On my Viper it was -1.9 front and -1.3 rear, I would imagine this might be reversed with a mid engine car. Does anyone have suggestions on this?

4)Is stock oiling sufficiant?

5) Will be used of time trials only, no races.

BTW, it will be an '06 if it matters.

Thanx

1. No
2. Yes, and I think so
3. Sorry, no clue
4. Yes, Stock fuel and oil systems are very stout
5. OK, you have my permission
BTWa. Doesn't matter, same car

BTWb. Have fun/be safe post some pics!

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
yeah, what he said.:biggrin

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
You might want to PM one of the long time forum members; Barondw. He probably has more GT track time than anyone around.

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
1. No
2. Yes, and I think so
3. Sorry, no clue
4. Yes, Stock fuel and oil systems are very stout
5. OK, you have my permission
BTWa. Doesn't matter, same car

BTWb. Have fun/be safe post some pics!

Thank you and great no run flats (where's the spare?). What tire does the FGT come with, Pilots or Pzeros?

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
yeah, what he said.:biggrin

Thanks Mark, where in SoCal are you? I'm in Mission Hills :cheers

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Thank you and great no run flats (where's the spare?). What tire does the FGT come with, Pilots or Pzeros?

Goodyear F-1 Supercar and a elaborate fix-a-flat kit.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
road track mods

Get a tranny cooler!!! This is a must!

Yes, 18" on the rear if you want to have a wider selection of DOT sticky rubber. Or use Hoosiers on the stock wheels. I did 4 track events on the stock tires & it wasn't that bad. It made me go slower & think more.

Think about the Penske shocks from T&A Shocks. Very nice! His shock manual has good info on road track alignments. aszilagy@comcast.net Alex was on the GT team.

Livermore Peformance can hook you up with the harness & hardware for the GT. www.livermoreperformance.com The Safecraft fire extinguishers they carry are the best.

The GT was born & bred for the road tracks. It works well on the drag strip, on the street & cruising; but, it lives for the road track. The Viper is not bad there but the GT is the One!!!

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
Get a tranny cooler!!! This is a must!

Yes, 18" on the rear if you want to have a wider selection of DOT sticky rubber. Or use Hoosiers on the stock wheels. I did 4 track events on the stock tires & it wasn't that bad. It made me go slower & think more.

Think about the Penske shocks from T&A Shocks. Very nice! His shock manual has good info on road track alignments. aszilagy@comcast.net Alex was on the GT team.

Livermore Peformance can hook you up with the harness & hardware for the GT. www.livermoreperformance.com The Safecraft fire extinguishers they carry are the best.

The GT was born & bred for the road tracks. It works well on the drag strip, on the street & cruising; but, it lives for the road track. The Viper is not bad there but the GT is the One!!!

Thanks Ed, I will start with the tranny cooler and track alignment and run the stock tires till they chunk and learn the dynamics of the car. I will then probably do a pulley upgrade and get a set of Dot R3S06 Hoosiers on seperate rims and take it from there, thanks.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Goodyear F-1 Supercar and a elaborate fix-a-flat kit.

here is the link to the slime pump ala elaborate fix a flat.

From the dealer with the GT tax it goes for $1 BILLION. But from Tire Rack the replacement cartridges/ hose etc. are $25 and $79 for the whole unit. You just have to move the tow hook from old to new. Shelf life of sealant - 4 yrs.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/conticomfortkit/index.jsp

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Mike, have you been blowing yourself up again?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Mike, have you been blowing yourself up again?

:rofl :lol :rofl :lol :rofl :lol

Well for some reason I seem to catch every frigging nail and bolt on the road. Just when I go to get a new set of tires - wallah!, another frigging nail!

and yes - I've used the damn slime pump to "blowing myself up again"
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl