My car was in an accident!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
After performing a VIN search at my local Ford dealer, I was able to confirm my 2012 Boss Laguna Seca was in an accident! šŸ˜¬ This would normally be gut wrenching for most car owners, but not me. This is not an ordinary car and it was definitely not in an ordinary accident!! There are a few articles on the internet about some very early 2012 Boss Mustangs meeting their demise in a train derailment before ever being delivered to the new owners who ordered them. It also goes on to sadly speculate the auto crusher would seal their fate in automotive history. Most would have thought this ā€œthe end of the roadā€ for these cars, but was it?

Apparently for my car (and maybe a few others) there was a second chance to show the world how awesome they really are. Now I donā€™t know all of the sequence of events yet, and hopefully someone who reads this does and opines, but at least one of the 3 Laguna Seca Models made its way to Flat Rock (canā€™t confirm) or the like, where is was repaired and transformed from street legal Boss Laguna Seca #94 to a 302S-like race car. From there it made itā€™s way to Ford Performance Racing School in Tooele, UT where it was renamed Boss Car #92, served for 8 years as an optional track car upgrade to students attending Fordā€™s performance driving school and also used for various NASA track events.

Early last fall, good fortune brought me to attend one of the last driving schools before Ford Performance Racing school decided to move their Mustang program back east to Charlotte, NC. It was at this time I inquired as to the fate of their Boss cars and was able to spend the weekend thrashing around the track in Boss Car #92. After getting comfortable with few laps at speed I knew this car was right for me and a deal was struck before the weeks end.

Braving an early snowfall, I returned in late October to trailer #92 to itā€™s new home. Nearly two thousand harrowing miles later, it was sitting safely in my driveway.

Since then, I have worked diligently to add everything necessary to make it street legal once again with more planned to track days in the future. It has once again hit the lottery of automotive life as it currently resides with a pair of Ford GTs flanked to itā€™s side.

No story cars are great for someone who wants a gem to cherish, but sometimes a storied car offers something interestingly unique to savor. Boss car #92 has been one interesting story after another, with more likely to follow, and I wouldnā€™t want it any other way!

AE81245B-42D2-473B-9600-399C1326493F.jpegF1C8702F-B89B-4CCF-9D57-F0D3E0353F92.jpegC587DBE4-B7E6-41D8-9562-73D2EA2135D7.jpeg0042BDF2-ADC4-4C57-AA14-D4C0A1DC895E.jpeg

Reactions: GKW05GT and DG1

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Great story Kevin, I must admit my heart skipped a few beats when I saw the title. šŸ„“

Reactions: Special K

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Great story Kevin, I must admit my heart skipped a few beats when I saw the title. šŸ„“
That was my tabloid strategy!

Reactions: Apollo

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The 1967 Shelbys involved in a derailment (and survived) are now considered special cars.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What is the street legal path? If I understand the history the car started off as a Boss, then was wrecked and Ford took it back and made a Ford Racing "parts department" car. Was it a complete transformation, ie did it surrender the VIN for a serial number? Or did it retain the VIN tags and just get the mechanical makeover? If the VIN is intact it ought to only be a matter of getting the safety equipment (like air bags, etc) and emissions (probably doesn't have a cat) to put it back together.

No matter what, that's quite a heritage!!!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
What is the street legal path? If I understand the history the car started off as a Boss, then was wrecked and Ford took it back and made a Ford Racing "parts department" car. Was it a complete transformation, ie did it surrender the VIN for a serial number? Or did it retain the VIN tags and just get the mechanical makeover? If the VIN is intact it ought to only be a matter of getting the safety equipment (like air bags, etc) and emissions (probably doesn't have a cat) to put it back together.

No matter what, that's quite a heritage!!!
It, along with a couple of other cars at the racing school had vins and titles. I asked about that before I selected this car. I believe that the mods might have now been done in Utah, as someone reached out to me that has all the original parts for the car after seeing my post on social media. As for getting it street legal, I installed the turning signals, third brake light, and horn. Thatā€™s good enough to drive it here!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
The 1967 Shelbys involved in a derailment (and survived) are now considered special cars.
I learned about that too on this quest for information! I love a good car mystery!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Very cool...