Muffler weld-Panel screws location help

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Gents, a weld on my Heffner muffler cracked (see picture below), repaired now (not an easy fix, since the whole muffler required removal, coating sand blasted, welded, and recoated- more on that later in this post...). With remote support from Kendall I was able to remove the muffler. (Thank you Kendall!)

Now to the install: I have 4 remaining screws (see picture below ) which I can't find a place for them (should have taken a picture or 2 prior to the removal). Is there anyone in the So. Cal area that have the bumper delete Cool Tech kit, AKA team Kendall's kit installed? I would like to have a look and and see where these darn screws go. A quick peek thru the license plate opening with an inspection mirror should do the trick, please PM me if willing and available, thanks!

Now to the Coating, I had to be stripped for the new weld to "hold", the Heffner ceramic coating paint color is not allowed in Cali anymore, closest match is the one on the bottom right of the picture below, muffler tips remain the same color as original. BTW, Heffner doesn't offer this muffler anymore. The gaskets between the muffler and the cats (picture below) are on back order, had to use the old gaskets. I replaced the bolts and associated hardware with grade 5 stainless steel marine grade bolts/washer/lock washer/nuts (I think grade 5 should work fine as manual shows a 30 ft-lb torque value).
Jr.

Attachments

• Heffner Muffler weld.jpg
    Heffner Muffler weld.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Screws FGT panel.jpg
    Screws FGT panel.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 46
  • Muffler Coating.jpeg
    Muffler Coating.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Gasket.jpg
    Gasket.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 42

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
As long as everything feels solid, consider it weight reduction.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Sam,

The machine screws/nuts hold the center painted panel in place. There is a small L-bracket on each of the bumper frame horns just rearward of the edge of the heat shielding. There's a hole in this L- bracket and the hardware attaches it to a corresponding hole on the painted panel piece. The other two flathead screws are strange.... never seen them before.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Thanks Kendall-

Hi Sam,

The machine screws/nuts hold the center painted panel in place. There is a small L-bracket on each of the bumper frame horns just rearward of the edge of the heat shielding. There's a hole in this L- bracket and the hardware attaches it to a corresponding hole on the painted panel piece. The other two flathead screws are strange.... never seen them before.
They look like wood screws. I can't imagine where they might have been used. Could they have been included in your leftovers by accident?

Reactions: twobjshelbys