Motorcraft Syn. Oil-Who makes it for Ford

doccars

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 10, 2005
The synthetic Motorcraft oil for the GT is a special order item at most dealers and lists for $9+ a quart. Does anyone know who makes the oil for Ford under the Motorcraft name. I doubt if Ford has their own refineries.

Doccars

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Synthetic Motorcraft Oil

I use Castrol Syntec 5w-50 Oil. I beleive it is the ONLY 5w-50 Syn Oil aviable !!

AMB

efurlong

GT Owner
Jan 5, 2006
mobil 1

I used Mobil 1 5w-50w. I beleive Mobil makes this for Ford.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
We're using Mobil 1 5/50 fully synthetic over here in the UK - although it's not an easy grade to get hold of...

doccars

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 10, 2005
Thanks for the replies.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
FYI, good info on oil

Here is a good paper on the basics of oil and lubrication. It be somewhat technical, however I feel that the info is very sound and should be of interest to many.

Also, my Honda insight (hybrid) uses 0W-20!

Enjoy, Jay

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00105.html

Last edited:

Mod Friendly

Feb 8, 2006
Plantation, Florida
Ford motorcraft does make 5w 50 full synthetic oil. It is designed and made for specifically for the Ford GT. Its even printed on the back label of a bottle of it.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
analogdesigner said:
Also, my Honda insight (hybrid) uses 0W-20!

Being a hybrid it needs 0W, somehow logic. The combustion engine is more often in low temperature on off cycles, only supplementing the electromotor. Hence it needs to have full lub right away. Don't think of putting that into a GT engine. Gets much hotter and needs to avoid lub film breakup, that happens with 0W oil at temp peaks. That's why you don't find something like 0W 60, physics. With 5W you already have pretty good lubrication, even at fairly cold engine. Best to look for the oil pressure. Once viscosity builds up, the oil press goes down under load, then you can accelerate harder,but I guess we all know that. So let me just shut up here...