Mercedes G550 G wagon

Hans

Jul 16, 2008
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
My mom had one of these on order and it just arived the other day. Ive had the chance to drive it twice now, and I cant believe how solid it is! The washboard on our drive way is very harsh in a normal vehicle, but in the G wagon, it floats right over it, which is impresive for a vehicle that weighs 6500 lbs. The sound tho, is something else. For those who havent heard it, the best way I can describe it is like Thor gargling an earthquake. In normal city driving the cabin is quiet, but put your foot down a quarter of an inch and you are reminded of the 385 hp 5.5L V8 that lives under the hood ( I cant imagine the AMG version). The torque is availabe way down low, so if you have to rush through an amber light or pass someone on the high way, you're in good hands.

For those who have a G wagon or have owned one, are there anythings that we need to be aware of? Thanks

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
My mom had one of these on order and it just arived the other day. Ive had the chance to drive it twice now, and I cant believe how solid it is! The washboard on our drive way is very harsh in a normal vehicle, but in the G wagon, it floats right over it, which is impresive for a vehicle that weighs 6500 lbs. The sound tho, is something else. For those who havent heard it, the best way I can describe it is like Thor gargling an earthquake. In normal city driving the cabin is quiet, but put your foot down a quarter of an inch and you are reminded of the 385 hp 5.5L V8 that lives under the hood ( I cant imagine the AMG version). The torque is availabe way down low, so if you have to rush through an amber light or pass someone on the high way, you're in good hands.

For those who have a G wagon or have owned one, are there anythings that we need to be aware of? Thanks

Fuel economy and service. The G wagen is a great vehicle. started as military vehicle. Its fuel economy will NEVER be better than 16mpg and if you are not very careful about service intervals certain parts fail quickly. I doubt that your mom will be very hard on the vehicle but if you take it off road often make sure that after each venture into water you crawl underneath and check the transfer case and axles for water. If any has gotten in... flush the fluids. Also, known issue with oil leak on pan at rear seal.

hope this helps.