Looks like lotus got fed up with Tesla

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,426522,00.html

One of the dodge ev's is basically an elise with ev mechanicals .... evidently Lotus is tired of the delays with Tesla and looking for a bigger wallet to move with.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Interesting, what do you think this means for Tesla?

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Interesting, what do you think this means for Tesla?

I'm not sure exactly what it means but I have heard through the coconut telegraph that Tesla keeps making revisions and has had some issues with the transmission they spec'd. Leading to not making the units that the are contracted to do ...... Maybe, Proton looking for cashflow is anxious to expand its production of the Elise based vehicles. Let's see there is there is I think .... five cars not counting the two EV's based on the chassis.

Who knows...

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I'm not sure exactly what it means but I have heard through the coconut telegraph that Tesla keeps making revisions and has had some issues with the transmission they spec'd. Leading to not making the units that the are contracted to do ...... Maybe, Proton looking for cashflow is anxious to expand its production of the Elise based vehicles. Let's see there is there is I think .... five cars not counting the two EV's based on the chassis.

Who knows...

Thanks, Tesla sent me a brochure with a bunch of info...unsolicited. Saw one on Rodeo Drive before the Rally.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Thanks, Tesla sent me a brochure with a bunch of info...unsolicited. Saw one on Rodeo Drive before the Rally.

no problem ... I would be interested in the chrysler/lotus ev. Looks like a neat ride. I'm one of those that still looks at the ev as a toy and tesla's msrp places it in the "equipment" category.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime

Who knows...

About 30 have been shipped to customers in the US. About 50 more are on the assembly line in England. The new transmission (Powertrain 1.5) has not only resolved the old problems, but improved the car (better 0-60 speed, better mileage, lighter weight, etc.)

I got to drive one in New York this summer. Central Park wasn't the best place to put the car through its paces, but the car was fun to drive; nimble, tight steering, responsive acceleration, etc.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
did those first cars come out with the old transmission? Its good to see that some of the kinks have gotten worked out. But in the scheme of things for an auto maker double digits on the line does not much for the cash flow ... especially in this economy.:ack Always liked the concept as I am a fan of the Lotus chassis ... but I was disappointed to see the pricing. I wonder if Chrysler builds a similar car what their target MSRP might be.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
did those first cars come out with the old transmission? Its good to see that some of the kinks have gotten worked out. But in the scheme of things for an auto maker double digits on the line does not much for the cash flow ... especially in this economy.:ack Always liked the concept as I am a fan of the Lotus chassis ... but I was disappointed to see the pricing. I wonder if Chrysler builds a similar car what their target MSRP might be.

Yes, the first cars did come out with the original transmission, but Tesla will be retrofitting the new one free of charge to anybody who got the old one.

Telsa purposely started out the production line with very few cars being built per month in order to test their supply lines. I think the first Roadster was delivered to their CEO around May, which means they have more cars currently in the production line than they have delivered in the last 4 months. Their plan is to gradually increase production numbers to something like a thousand a year. Certainly not GM or Toyota volume, but how many cars do Lotus, Ferrari and Lamborghini build a year?

Chrysler's e-car announcement really surprised me. Unlike the Volt, I had heard nothing about them until last week. It would be nice if both companies could find markets since they're both American. I would really like to see some US auto companies leapfrog the international competition.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Agree with the limited run thought process. I too was totally caught off guard by the Chrysler announcement but that is one of the benefits of their structure. Also would like to see a joint market for them .... I speculate that the Lotus knock-off car won't make production for them as I don't see them able to carry the huge price tag and having two six figure ev's on the same chassis just won't work like Audi/Lambo due to ownership issues ... and I don't see Chrysler buying Tesla or vice-versa. I expect to see the Jeep as its an innovator and then the Pea-pod as they are starting to show it off more than the others. Shame since a "freakish" looking car is not something someone is going to actually buy and drive. We don't need cute we need real world. Sometimes I think that managers toss designs like them out to just say " See people won't buy them " so they can justify going back to the status quo. If they do then Chrysler is a dying mark as they have the worst fleet average of the American makers and Ford is starting to swing around. I only wish they could justify the import of the diesel euro cars. I know the engines are expensive to build (due largely to currency conversion issues) and they would be a hard sell based upon price point but how about parts manufacture in UK and assembly on a niche line in the US with final assembly in USA? Hello you guys listening? I already offered three times to buy a couple of S-Max's .... you got a market .. just work out the price points.

Not to high jack my own thread but Shelby said some interesting things in the RT article about the 6 cy Mustang they are doing and how much he enjoyed making the Chrysler Shelbys... due to thier every man ability. ALso he said he thought the HP wars where to quote him "B*ll SH!T". Lighter, better handling cars is what he was recommending ..... sounds kind of like a Lotus. (how do you like that for hi-jack recovery?) :lol

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Interesting. Tesla is holding an event here in the Pacific NW this weekend.

Driving one here for "high mileage road test". From what I've read there are someplace between 10 and 20 ordered locally. And Tesla is planning to open a store/service center in the Seattle area.

I'm hopeful to get a test ride in the morning.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Here's an unofficial map of where Tesla owners live. It's similar to our GT registry, so it’s likely to be incomplete, but it is interesting to see the clustering of owners. Once again, the California folks have cornered the market.

http://www.idleloop.com/tesla/