Looking for Shelby GT 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNicholson

Hey Chip,

EXCELLENT post - very well put. I guess it is hard for younger adults to understand at this point in their lives. Actually, I am not REAL sure there will ever be a comparison that can be made like this musically (what are the chances that any of todays musicans (sp) will be the icons of our past)?

Anyway, while I cant afford a Shelby GT500 at this point in my life, I most certinaly would purchase one LONG before a Z06. Dont get me wrong, the Z06 is an awesome car - just not one I personally would want to own.

Page

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Chip

Chip, You only come around once brother----Do it right the first time! Amen

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Chip, a love yah brotha, your one of kind, my roll model, keeping grabbing for the gusto,,,,.... and sorry for you guys that just don't understand. Somethings require a couple of gray hairs, sucesses and failures to round out a man.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Dont get me wrong, the Z06 is an awesome car - just not one I personally would want to own.

NOT EVEN THE UPCOMING SUPERCHARGED "BLUE DEVIL"?????????:eek

Even as ticked off as I am at GM over the stunt they pulled with my own ZO6 order, I'd hafta "eat crow" & grab wunna THOSE!

Last edited:

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
trade ya for your GT. :lol

I've got $12K in mods. :banana

Shelby005.jpg

Shelby006.jpg

Shelby008.jpg

Shelby012.jpg

Shelby015-1.jpg

Shelby016-2.jpg

Shelby017.jpg

Shelby018.jpg

Shelby019.jpg

Shelby021-1.jpg

Shelby026.jpg

Shelby028.jpg

Shelby029.jpg

Shelby030.jpg

Shelby031-1.jpg

Shelby033.jpg

Shelby038.jpg

Shelby039-1.jpg

Shelby040.jpg

Last edited:

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Chip, very well put! I am part of that "younger" crowd. It has taken a week in Monterey & a week at the BJ auctions, spending time talking w/Bony, Chris, & other car enthusiasts older than me, to start to appreciate & understand the desire to own some of these "older" cars that hadn't really appealed to me that much - especially at the prices they were going for! I love the Ford GT, but possibly for different reasons than some of the other guys, & the GT500 (though I like it a lot) does not have give me the same feelings as it does for Chip or some of the other guys who were around w/the originals.

I love the power, acceleration, design, racing history, etc, but as I've come to see, it's not always just about that. I was not even born yet in the 60's to see the real thing (either type of car) & didn't long for one for 35 years like some of the GT owners. I wasn't around during the time of the American muscle car craze, so seeing them at the auctions & car shows doesn't bring back memories or special feelings for me. Well written explanation Chip! I'm glad you wrote it!! :thumbsup

Ferrari Beater

Jan 29, 2007
Farmington Hills, MI
On that note, here is Top Gear's take on the 500. I dont like his review at all, as most of you may not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq06eUNlyzI

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Snaproll,

I like your screen name, from it I'll assume you're an akro pilot. You're probably too young to understand how special the new GT500 Shelby is to those of us in our 50's. The marketplace is speaking with buyers lined up to pay 30-40% over MSRP so I have a lot of company. I'll try to explain. 6 months ago I heard that Eric Clapton had reformed Cream with former drummer Ginger Baker and bass player Jack Bruce. The last Cream concert was 35 years ago and in 2005 they got together and played just 4 shows in London. They were better than ever. When Cream first played, I was 12-15 years old, Clapton was god, the music was magic, and I was young. Clapton never stopped making music and I kept listening, but it wasn't Cream. When I heard that they were coming to America and would play 3 more shows in New York City, I picked up the phone, cost be damned, and I was in row 3 when the lights went down. My son Charley tried to tell me that there are many lead guitar players today that are better than Clapton and that spending $6000.00 to fly clear across the country for a concert was insane. Perhaps, but in the middle of the Crossroads guitar solo I couldn't believe I was there, the music was still magic, Clapton was on fire, and for those few hours, I was a kid again. Don't try to tell me that Johnny Whatever is a faster, better player cause I don't care. He's not Eric Clapton and he never will be. Clapton was the original guitar god and he's an icon today. In those same early to mid '60's the Holy Grail of American muscle cars were Shelby's. We couldn't afford to buy them and were excited just to see one on the street. Long before the Saleens, Foose's, Steeda, and whatever else, there was the man, the original Cobra and GT350/500 creating LeMans winning car god. There will never be another Carroll Shelby. And after a 35 year absence from Ford he's putting on another concert, and the car is the best GT500 ever. Well into his 4th heart, it may not be for long. History, heritage, desire, soul, and memories make Shelby and Clapton much more than just a car or concert. Is a Z06 better than the GT500? Only to a kid who wasn't there and couldn't possibly understand. To me, it's no contest. Turn the key of the GT500, step on the gas, and 500 horsepower will send you back in time. "I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees, asked the good lord for mercy, take me if you please".

Chip

Ty Chip, for all those memories...tsk..tsk...now i am crying....

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Snaproll,

I like your screen name, from it I'll assume you're an akro pilot. You're probably too young to understand how special the new GT500 Shelby is to those of us in our 50's. The marketplace is speaking with buyers lined up to pay 30-40% over MSRP so I have a lot of company. I'll try to explain. 6 months ago I heard that Eric Clapton had reformed Cream with former drummer Ginger Baker and bass player Jack Bruce. The last Cream concert was 35 years ago and in 2005 they got together and played just 4 shows in London. They were better than ever. When Cream first played, I was 12-15 years old, Clapton was god, the music was magic, and I was young. Clapton never stopped making music and I kept listening, but it wasn't Cream. When I heard that they were coming to America and would play 3 more shows in New York City, I picked up the phone, cost be damned, and I was in row 3 when the lights went down. My son Charley tried to tell me that there are many lead guitar players today that are better than Clapton and that spending $6000.00 to fly clear across the country for a concert was insane. Perhaps, but in the middle of the Crossroads guitar solo I couldn't believe I was there, the music was still magic, Clapton was on fire, and for those few hours, I was a kid again. Don't try to tell me that Johnny Whatever is a faster, better player cause I don't care. He's not Eric Clapton and he never will be. Clapton was the original guitar god and he's an icon today. In those same early to mid '60's the Holy Grail of American muscle cars were Shelby's. We couldn't afford to buy them and were excited just to see one on the street. Long before the Saleens, Foose's, Steeda, and whatever else, there was the man, the original Cobra and GT350/500 creating LeMans winning car god. There will never be another Carroll Shelby. And after a 35 year absence from Ford he's putting on another concert, and the car is the best GT500 ever. Well into his 4th heart, it may not be for long. History, heritage, desire, soul, and memories make Shelby and Clapton much more than just a car or concert. Is a Z06 better than the GT500? Only to a kid who wasn't there and couldn't possibly understand. To me, it's no contest. Turn the key of the GT500, step on the gas, and 500 horsepower will send you back in time. "I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees, asked the good lord for mercy, take me if you please".

Chip

Chip,

My sentiments exactly. I was going to see Cream at Royal Albert Hall in May of 2005. My wife (fiance at the time) was diagnosed with ovarian cancer 2 weeks prior to our planned flight to London for the show. Had to cancel the whole affair. Thought we'd never catch them again. Fortunately she did well despite 5 operations, chemo and 4 months off work. We got to celebrate her recovery in Oct '05 when Cream played MSG in the Big Apple. I paid a fortune for the tickets, but the experience of getting to see Rock's original power trio was incredible. Some things you can't quantitate monetarily. I get goosebumps realizing I got to see them, and what a wonderful evening we had celebrating good health. Clapton is God, as the graffiti said.
I also get fired up looking at my Ford GT every day in the garage. I am thinking of picking up a matching Shelby at some point, once I have a larger garage built. Both the Ford GT and the Shelby Mustang pay homage to the man and the original cars they are based upon.

Cheers, AC

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Chip,

My sentiments exactly. I was going to see Cream at Royal Albert Hall in May of 2005. My wife (fiance at the time) was diagnosed with ovarian cancer 2 weeks prior to our planned flight to London for the show. Had to cancel the whole affair. Thought we'd never catch them again. Fortunately she did well despite 5 operations, chemo and 4 months off work. We got to celebrate her recovery in Oct '05 when Cream played MSG in the Big Apple. I paid a fortune for the tickets, but the experience of getting to see Rock's original power trio was incredible. Some things you can't quantitate monetarily. I get goosebumps realizing I got to see them, and what a wonderful evening we had celebrating good health. Clapton is God, as the graffiti said.
I also get fired up looking at my Ford GT every day in the garage. I am thinking of picking up a matching Shelby at some point, once I have a larger garage built. Both the Ford GT and the Shelby Mustang pay homage to the man and the original cars they are based upon.

Cheers, AC
Wow, what a great story with such an important ending. I will toast to your wife's continued good health. Glad she beat it.:thumbsup :banana :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
trade ya for your GT. :lol

I've got $12K in mods. :banana

Shelby005.jpg

Shelby006.jpg

Shelby008.jpg

Shelby012.jpg

Shelby015-1.jpg

Shelby016-2.jpg

Shelby017.jpg

Shelby018.jpg

Shelby019.jpg

Shelby021-1.jpg

Shelby026.jpg

Shelby028.jpg

Shelby029.jpg

Shelby030.jpg

Shelby031-1.jpg

Shelby033.jpg

Shelby038.jpg

Shelby039-1.jpg

Shelby040.jpg

beaut-ti-full! did Galpin tune it up?

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Chip, very well put! I am part of that "younger" crowd. It has taken a week in Monterey & a week at the BJ auctions, spending time talking w/Bony, Chris, & other car enthusiasts much, much older than me, to start to appreciate & understand the desire to own some of these "older" cars that hadn't really appealed to me that much - especially at the prices they were going for!

Fixed it for ya! :lol

I understand the power of nostalgia, and I've longed to buy another copy of my first car, a 1970 Road Runner Superbird. I sold it when gas prices doubled in '74, what a mistake! The only way I'd buy a new Chebby Z-06 is if I was going to significantly expand my small collection, and I can think of at least 6 other cars I'd rather have first, including the aforementioned Superbird and Saleen Extreme, some italian muscle and yes a GT500 (maybe after another GT or two). But first I need to help build a few more hospital wings and food banks! :)

Many of youse guys are my idols!

Biggs

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
beaut-ti-full! did Galpin tune it up?
Thanks!

no, I did it all. I wouldn't let those guys go much further than making it look pretty. I actually moved from LA out to Chicago and drove the car here. My next step is to build the motor, do stainless works long tubes and put a twin screw on (most likely 2.8KB) and chase for 800rwhp on boost only.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Dude, this thread is over a year old.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Not to mention all his second post as a spectator is to try and sell a car roc. BONY...delete and lock...good lord does this look like a used car lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.