Looking for Aircraft Info

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Gentlepeople:

Do any of you know anything about this aircraft? I have a friend that is very interested and this sight is a vaulable treasure trove of information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGg7G9ck44A

Thanks in Advance

Larry Boatner
"Thugboat"

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
It's a startup company from 2007-08. They struggled for funding initially, but seem to be performing of late. Their product has decent reviews but like most LSA aircraft it's made for a niche envelope, if that's what your friend has in mind. I recall it's available as an amphibian or seaplane only with automatic folding wings. Trailerable. I sat in one at Oshkosh in 2008. Interior is designed after a modern road car so as to appeal to the average 'motorist'. CEO is Kirk Hawkins, nice guy. He and a partner started the thing on a budget and have promoted it hard. They had a large presence at Oshkosh this year, so I'd say they are making a go of it.I'm sure Hawkins is reachable, have your friend call him up. They are happy to do demo flights and may even have one in the area to bring to him. Good luck.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Larry, Larry, Larry. The Icon A5 was what got me interested in flying. They are CLOSE to getting ready to start production but have had numerous delays over the years. I have almost put a deposit on 1 more than once but have never done so.....give me a call.

Mooney56

GT Owner
Jan 21, 2012
Houston, Texas
flew it once, nice plane. but like all lsa's there is not enough power. buy a lake.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
The Icon has some major wow factor. Probably more than a Gt at a waterfront bar or gathering. Parking it on anything other than a beach at a calm lake will be real difficult. The flight demonstration is amazing as the plane can do high speed turns on the water and then lift off. I watched the flight demo at Oshkosh a few years back.

There having difficulties with the weight and power as almost all new aircraft concepts do. The amphibian version is too heavy and may not be a two place plane or will real be limited on range. There in a battle with the FAA about stall characteristics that will take govt. time to resolve.

With that said, If I lived on a nice lake I would have a deposit in already. It's an amazing toy, not for travel.

It's the first and only concept or recently produced plane I would consider. Although the Carbon Cub is bad ass too. I prefer the proven in the longevity department with airplanes. The best planes are from the 70's.