Lights in center console HVAC contols

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Lights in center console HVAC controls

I'd like to change the lights behind my control knobs to a blue LED... the white is kinda' bright for me.

What's under there... anybody know?

Any ideas?

mardyn

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It's a circuit board with everything on one motherboard, about the size of a pack of cigarettes or a little larger. There are several threads here about who made them for Ford and where to get them. Why not just open up the console and paint them blue from underneath with a heat resistant paint?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Why not just open up the console and paint them blue from underneath with a heat resistant paint?

I've tried that method in the past (on other cars). 'Result was, shall we say, less than hoped for? ('just "fyi".)

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
so they're already LEDs on the OEM mobo? wonder if they could be changed out without too much trouble...

mardyn

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The manufacturer was, like, Classic Air (look to old posts about this). The LEDs are mounted directly on the board. The whole board screws into the bottom of the console and the LEDs line up with the holes.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
The system is all Vintage air. The evaporator case,duct work and electronics. I have had the a/c controls out a few different times, but can't remember if the leds we're soldered to the board in a way that they could be replaced or not. I would have to also recommend against painting them.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Looks like this under the console:

IMG_5435.jpg

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I was thinking... next time I have my console out, I'll remove the A/C controls and see if the LED's are accessible, if not, I may investigate using a blue filter over the existing LEDs.

I really don't drive the car that much at night, but when I do, those console lights are kinda' bright... a little blue tint would subdue the brightness, plus yield a cool effect to the interior.

Thanks for the pics.

mardyn

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Get some old X-ray film to cover them up with. Not exactly blue, but will darken them.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Cannot they just be 'dimmed"? from the dimmer on the Instrument Panel
AJB

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
while we are at it...anybody try to dim that infernal high beam indicator light. It is so bright that it almost negates the effect of the high beams.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Yeah, I suspect that they'll dim with the rest of the dash lights but that would be the easy way out... no drama, no pain, just turn the dial:wink.

and that high beam indicator is really bright too.

mardyn

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Now I like the blue LED idea !!!