Lift Help

TrackAire

Oct 20, 2010
Maybe a single post parking lift like this might work??

http://equiptool.com/i-365793-single-post-parking-lift-pl-6spx.html

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
Hi guys. Thanks for all your responses.

I looked at the single post lift first, but my slab garage floor will not safely support it (I am told by the guy that installs them locally. No rebarb and not as thick as he was comfortable installing).

I have only 10' 3" from bottom to top. I can get a lot in there, but it's how I have to park that is the problem. Due to how my drive way feeds into my garage and how my wife drives, having a 4 post lift is something she will not see when trying to negotiate the turn.

I have a 3 car garage, but in the single bay, I have cabinets that prevent parking a car in there. I have to park the fun car at an angle and my wife's truck takes up the rest.

I will try and post a pic, just can't do it on my I pad for some reason.

The list I was looking at will fit, just concerned that the carq will be too tight of a fit on the platform. Looks like I would have 1/2 inch on each side, too close for me.

Vincent is going to measure his friend's so we will see.

Other than that, I have the FGT in storage and drive it when I can. The Ferrari was not something I was going after. I was looking for a friend and just bought it for myself. I never drove one before or saw this one in person, just liked the way it looked. It's fun, but nothing like the FGT.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
What about a double car lift from BendPak? This is what I am going to install this spring for my double garage.

The HD-9SW is the double-vehicle storage and service solution. Store two vehicles on four runways.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
What about a double car lift from BendPak? This is what I am going to install this spring for my double garage.

The HD-9SW is the double-vehicle storage and service solution. Store two vehicles on four runways.

This is the lift that I have. I put my 2 toys "up top" and my wife's SUV fits (just) underneath. I do not have the roof rack on the SUV, and had to remove the antenae, but in my 20 x 20 garage, I fit four cars. The GT's rear Bridgestones, if I get the car parked perfectly, hang off about 1/2" on each side. I use "race ramps" to get the car to the steel ramps, without scraping. I'd suggest that you look at upgrading to the aluminum ramps, as the standard steel ramps are beastly heavy!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

...but...once again...be advised that the hoist's actual 'drive-a-car-under-it' clearance will likely be less that you think it will be once the hoist is lowered down onto/is at rest/locked into in its highest 'latch'/storage position. That certainly is/was the case with my HD9SWX. ('Roughly 2" less.)

(If you DO find you're lacking a bit of 'vertical' clearance, gimme me a shout and I'll explain how I remedied the situation. Oh, and that "vertical height adjustment" feature BendPak tells you about? Fergiddit. 'Useless as tire chains on a skate board...)

:cheers

OK, I measured the important GT-related widths and heights on my friends cantilever BendPak PLT-6S. Apparently there are more than one in their catalog but they only actually sell that one. Here are the results:

Lift platform (the top)
Narrowest point on the top platform is 78" wide
Maximum platform length is 132" - from the cross bar at the front to the edge at the back

Bottom (on the floor under the platform)
Bottom front minimum width is 86 1/2"
There are some triangular braces for the bar across the front; they are 79" apart at the bottom
At platform max height, the lowest point of the upper platform(the round support bar) is 49 1/2" above the floor
The round platform support bar is 60" back from the front frame cross bar
At the narrowest point on the sides (the cantilever brace pivot pins) width is 85 1/2" at 34" above the floor

By my measurements using a tape measure and plumb bobs:
The GT outside front tire sidewall width is 73"
Maximum width (mirror tip to mirror tip) is 83" at 33" above the floor

Therefore, I would say that you could put the GT on the top platform with 2 1/2" wheel clearance on each side. I don't know about the mirrors, but I think they would clear everything.
You could put the GT underneath as long as the mirrors didn't hit the pivot pins. If you did not drive the car that far forward under the platform, I think it would be OK.

It would take some fiddling to find the "right" position for the car.

Cheers

Last edited:

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
Vincent998, thank you for taking the time do measure everything out. I am very appreciative of everything you did for me. My wife gave me the green light to get the lift. Now I just need to raise the garage door tracks and order the lift.

I was not sure about the GT fitting on the platform with enough clearance, but sounds like it will fit with room to spare.

I am very excited to have both cars home.

I will post a pic when it's all installed.

Thans again.

One other thing I should mention: when the set up the lift, they will bolt it down before leaving. It can't be used without doing that. Therefore, figure out in advance exactly where you would like to have it - it won't be movable.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Can you post a picture?

Offset from door with car nose underneath (9' ceilings).
Also if you back the GT on the lift, the hood clearance (from garage opener) may allow additional lift height.

Attachments

• ZX BMW no stack front qtr.JPG
    ZX BMW no stack front qtr.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 98

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Offset from door with car nose underneath (9' ceilings).
Also if you back the GT on the lift, the hood clearance (from garage opener) may allow additional lift height.

If I were able to back the GT on to the lift, it would allow me to open the door and exit the drivers side. On the double wide lift, the wide side is the right side. In order to exit the car, I've got to climb over the transmission tunnel, and exit the passenger side. With the rear tires hanging off both sides of the lift by 1/2", when perfectly centered, not going to chance it!!!
BTW, love the BMW, is it a 3 pedal car?

Tomcat

GT Owner
BTW, love the BMW, is it a 3 pedal car?

No...an automatic but I have put about 100,000 problem free miles on her (1991 model)

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Pantera is nice as well!

Tomcat

GT Owner
Pantera is nice as well!

Thanks, I've owned her since 1986 (she's a '73). Also highly reliable...just don't sit in a traffic jam in Summer in Southeast.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
A wise man once told me to get the widest possible lift you can fit in the garage. If I had not listened, I would not drive the car as much due to parking difficulty. Also, my wife implemented the same no parking outside when I picked up my scud, the lift was the perfect solution.

That lift does look like it was custom made to fit your garage.