Lifelock - anyone use this service ?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Fellow members - any of you have experience (good or bad) or thoughts on using Lifelock www.lifelock.com an identity theft deterrence service?
A banker friend of mine suggested it highly, and said several of her clients use it.
Apparently someone recently tried filing a false tax return with the IRS under my SS# hoping to get a refund sent to them somehow.
My accountant said something like a million false returns are filed a year.
Crazy.

Thanks

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ask your accountant how Lifelock stops a false tax return from being filed. To my knowledge Lifelock puts a hold on all of the major credit reporting agencies for you such that credit reports and applications are put on hold unless you release them by providing more information. You can do that yourself, but Lifelock provides that service to make your life easier.

Once someone gets your SSN they can file a false return. If that person also tried to get credit using your SSN that would have alerted you that someone has your SSN.

Yes there are millions of people using other people's SSN, even dead people!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Yes - my understanding is Lifelock more or less prevents people from applying for credit cards, loans, etc... without ones direct approval. They don't stop IRS filings per se. The IRS has its own paperwork to fill out once you suspect fraudulent activity. I just filled out their form.

Ask your accountant how Lifelock stops a false tax return from being filed. To my knowledge Lifelock puts a hold on all of the major credit reporting agencies for you such that credit reports and applications are put on hold unless you release them by providing more information. You can do that yourself, but Lifelock provides that service to make your life easier.

Once someone gets your SSN they can file a false return. If that person also tried to get credit using your SSN that would have alerted you that someone has your SSN.

Yes there are millions of people using other people's SSN, even dead people!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Jax, please PM me your SS# and I'll take care of it for you. Thanks, Your buddy Frank

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I've used it for several years and I like it. I don't know if it's prevented any fraud but I haven't had any so that's good.

Chip

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
yep - get through work... To the other people point's they lock the credit reporting and any query, opening, filing etc... Shoots up a red flag! Cheap insurance...

sounds like Frank has a way to exploit his patients information as they cant complain......