LF HEADLIGHT BURNED OUT

GT844

Apr 1, 2007
Oconomowoc, WI
I'm at wits end with a burned out headlight on my 2005 Ford GT. The RF high and low beam works fine. 15 Amp fuse in position #17 is good. The 25Amp fuse in position #18 in the power distribution box is fine. I bought a new D1S headlight on Amazon, it looks identical to the Phillips OEM original and plugs into the OEM connector no problem. BIG PROBLEM. The headlight is still not operational. I have no idea what to do next. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I'll pay for advice, By the way. Removing the inner fender panel is a real bear,

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
As I understand it, your headlight seems to be burned out. Does the side marker still work? The turn signal work? But pretty much if it is burned there is no bulb replacement. In any event, you will have to pull the fender liner to replace it so may as well do sooner than later. It will be much easier all the way around.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Have you checked to see if you have 12volts at the plug. What happened to the original light.

GT844

Apr 1, 2007
Oconomowoc, WI
[B]fjpikul[/B], thanks for your response, The side marker lights and the turn signals work fine. There is power to the 25Amp fuse in position #18 in the power distribution box. I even swapped the two fuses between the left and right headlights, still no left headlight. I checked the connector that plugs into the ballast for power. There is no power. The ground side tests good. So the cable the powers the headlight goes into the headlight assembly, which is a sealed unit. From what I have heard, it's impossible to find a headlight, and if you can find one they are insanely expensive. Has anyone tried to wire in any type of headlight bulb, and power it on from a separate circuit. At least you would be able to drive legally at night.

Adios

GT Owner
Apr 24, 2010
E. Washington State
I thought someone on the forum had figured out away to take the old headlights apart using low heat ,replacing the bulb and resealing the unit.

Reactions: Empty Pockets

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't think that worked to anyone's satisfaction. Headlights should be available and not as insanely expensive as they once were. Look on eBay. X2 Builders may have some or Northwoods GT. Try your Ford dealer or Unleashed tuning in Florida.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Fordpartsgiant lists new for$1350.00

GT844

Apr 1, 2007
Oconomowoc, WI
Thanks for the tip on Fordpartsgiant.com. They list the RF for $1349.85, but the LF is listed as DISSCONTINUED. I'll call them today. Hope its just a backorder situation. Can anyone tell me what's actually "inside" the headlight that has failed requiring a complete replacement. I purchased the new Phillips bulb and ballast. it looks exactly like the OEM. It's just not getting any power. What exactly fails on these things?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Could this be a smart junction box issue? As far as other headlight issues... where is the guy that re-engineered the tail lights? :cool:

GT844

Apr 1, 2007
Oconomowoc, WI
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP HERE. I GUESS I'M JUST CURIOUS AS TO WHAT ACTUALLY FAILS INSIDE THE HEADLIGHT THAT REQUIRES A COMPLETE REPLACEMENT, AND NOT JUST A BULB AND BALAST.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Could this be a smart junction box issue? As far as other headlight issues... where is the guy that re-engineered the tail lights? :cool:
I think Musk called on him to sort out some, "rapid disassembly" issues they're having.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Here is a pic of the bulb if it’s the one in question. This is from a new LH spare I have. I would highly recommend you check all the connections for corrosion.EEDC52A1-7B27-4B6E-8FD1-53E7A9F77E70.jpeg

Last edited:

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Maybe it's a bad new part? Real quick test, "just" pull other working side apart and swap bulbs. lol

Rick Mustang

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2016
Central Texas
Check out SW Lights in CA. They are on Instagram and I have contact information if required. They open up all OEM lights and customize them. Probably can fix a Ford GT headlight. I’m good friends with the owners.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
You also need to check if you are getting power from the two marked connectors. If not it’s not probably a fixture issue.5A7132AB-CBB8-443E-95FE-3129BF667433.jpeg

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I think Musk called on him to sort out some, "rapid disassembly" issues they're having.

:LOL:

GT844

Apr 1, 2007
Oconomowoc, WI
THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. I'm GOING TO FOLLOW UP ON THE LEAD FOR SW LIGHTS. I'LL HOPEFULLY PROVIDE ONE LAST POST WHEN THIS THING FINALLY GETS FIXED,

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
Here is a pic of the bulb if it’s the one in question. This is from a new LH spare I have. I would highly recommend you check all the connections for corrosion.View attachment 62597
On the newer assemblies the headlight bulb is replaceable? When was the switchover made? Do you know the mfg date of your spare?

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
On the newer assemblies the headlight bulb is replaceable? When was the switchover made? Do you know the mfg date of your spare?

The OEM LH headlight out of the box was manufactured in 2005.

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
DM me, I have a new one in the box and also have a working one with cracked plastics ( RH side )