Le Mans Classic 2016 : Evening in the historical base camp of the winning GT40 team.

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
(We shall communicate about 2015 on a future News Letter).

For his welcome party at Le Mans Classic 2016, on Friday evening, the European Ford GT Owners Club just booked a mythical place for our cars :
the HOTEL DE FRANCE.

From 1986 to 1989, this hotel in a little village located forty kilometers from Le Mans, served as a base camp to the winning GT40, the pilots and the leaders of the racing team.
For four years, this is where the GT40 went by road to the circuit to win and will also return on their own.
It is the place where, during four years, the strategies where built and the victories celebrated.

In July 2016, we shall drive our Ford GT on the little roads used 50 years before, by the winning GT40.
We shall spend the evening in this famous "Hotel de France" completely full of memories.
We just booked the place for a cocktail with Champagne, and a gourmet dinner.
We have reserved parkings for our Ford GT on the small square in front of the hotel. We shall take amazing photos, and meet, glass in hand, famous drivers of the 24 hours, as well as stars of racing never missing to be in the hotel during that famous weekend.

For our accommodation we definitively booked the 35 rooms of a hotel located just 15 minutes from the circuit, with a secure private parking on asphalt.
As this number is likely to be insufficient, we also blocked an option in a second hotel as close to the circuit.
We shall come again on that question in 2015, with registration and deposits.
For those who do not know the «*Hotel de France*» in La Chartre sur le Loir, some word of history :

Opened in 1905, it remained owned by the same family for four generations. It is located about 40 km (27 miles) southeast of Le Mans. Few tens of kilometers that once echoed roaring racecar returning the hotel. Since the 50s, it was the base camp of racing teams participating in the famous " Le Mans 24 Hours." For twenty years, teams working on cars at night, preparing the cars for the next day. The DBR1 Aston Martin, Ford GT40 and Porsche 917 of the Team Gulf Oil are some race cars that shook the walls of the courtyard and place when the engineers came back to this base, propel the small roads in the direction of the circuit. Incredibly, this folklore lasted until 1970, when the mechanics of the three Gulf Porsche 917 drove them for the last time.

It's a long love story between the hotel and the race ... And this is necessarily a story that is still making dream the fans of the " 24 Hours «*. Inside, the walls of the hotel are covered with wallpaper, exclusive made, telling this rare and beautiful story between the hotel and the race, the saga of these drivers, these teams and these iconic cars nesting there, the time of the competition. The beautiful story between the hotel and especially the race began when John Wyer, a very charismatic team manager, discovered the property in 1953. The location, of course, but also the quality of the restaurant were decisive. Wyer settled there a fallback position for his team and for as long as he remains involved in racing. The preparation of the cars was in the courtyard of the hotel ensued transport to the circuit by small tourist routes converging towards Le Mans.

The Hotel de France is always appreciated and frequented by the icons of motorsport. Many winners of the " 24 Hours ": Derek Bell MBE, Jacky Ickx, Phil Hill, Jochen Rindt , Bruce McLaren and Carroll Shelby, Sir Stirling Moss OBE, Jackie Stewart, Mario Andretti and other drivers. Movie stars like Steve McQueen, the French President and the children of John and Robert Kennedy stayed at the Hotel de France.

The victory was celebrated at the hotel in 1959 when the Aston Martin DBR1, driven by Carroll Shelby and Roy Salvadori won the race for the Aston Martin team, driven by Wyer. For years, Wyer will drain the stables with which he has worked, Ford Advanced Vehicles, JW Automotive GT40 Mirage and even Porsche 917. All this beautiful world was based at the Hotel de France. But others, Ferrari, Chevrolet and Triumph departed from the hotel to the circuit. Many joyous events punctuate history of this special relationship between the hotel and the race, as this celebration in 2009 to mark the 50th anniversary of the victory of Aston Martin.

Parking in front of the Hotel de France , moves and buzzes still regularly crowded sports cars, classic motorcycles or when lovers or nostalgic visit the hotel to read the story and recover the atmosphere …

1964 : First GT40, and Eric BROADLEY behind:

Sans titre 17.jpg

1499649_602771226438851_29462198_n.jpg

1968 : The winner comes back to the Hôtel by its own...:

iot-35-big.jpg

In 2016, the enthusiasts of the Ford GT will be there !!!

6173196171.jpg

Last edited:

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
1963, the Aston Martin where at the Hotel de France :
1385644_583262011723106_338068370_n.jpg

1964, Eric BROADLEY preparing the first Ford GT40 :
Capture d’écran 2014-11-08 à 17.53.53.jpg

Sans titre 18.jpg

1966, ESSEX WIRE TEAM FORD GT40 in the backyard of the Hôtel :
ford-gt-john-wyer-img.jpg

1968, The winner at the Hotel after the race.
Sans titre 4.jpg

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
1966, in the garage of the Hotel de France :
Sans titre 13.jpg

1969, The mechanics with the team cars after the race :
Sans titre 7.jpg

1969, Cars back in the little village of La Charte sur le Loir :
Sans titre 9.jpg

1969, The winner is back to the Hotel after the race :
Sans titre 10.jpg

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
1966, John WYER prepares the race with JACKY ICKS :
Sans titre 12.jpg

1969, Dinner in the Hôtel de France after the victory :
Sans titre 6.jpg

1968, The Team on Monday morning on the terrace of the Hôtel, after the third victory :
Sans titre 5.jpg

1965, Sir John WHITMORE, INNES IRELAND, JOHN WYER.
ford-gt-john-wyer-img.jpg

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
The Hotel de France today. Nothing changes... :
IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

The memory is on the walls :
IMG_0293.jpg

... and on the desk :
IMG_0295.jpg

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I'm in! PM sent

mal

Heritage GT Owner
Nov 23, 2012
London/Kent, UK
That is fantastic Francis - well done - I am excited already!

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
2016 is going to be a great year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I am in!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I am also in. Do I Need to do anything to make my reservation guaranteed ?

Matthias

larry21

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2006
Knutsford UK
2016 is going to be a great year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in for the HOTEL DE FRANCE.

David will you organising for us?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
(We shall communicate about 2015 on a future News Letter).

For his welcome party at Le Mans Classic 2016, on Friday evening, the European Ford GT Owners Club just booked a mythical place for our cars :
the HOTEL DE FRANCE.

From 1986 to 1989, this hotel in a little village located forty kilometers from Le Mans, served as a base camp to the winning GT40, the pilots and the leaders of the racing team.
For four years, this is where the GT40 went by road to the circuit to win and will also return on their own.
It is the place where, during four years, the strategies where built and the victories celebrated.

In July 2016, we shall drive our Ford GT on the little roads used 50 years before, by the winning GT40.
We shall spend the evening in this famous "Hotel de France" completely full of memories.
We just booked the place for a cocktail with Champagne, and a gourmet dinner.
We have reserved parkings for our Ford GT on the small square in front of the hotel. We shall take amazing photos, and meet, glass in hand, famous drivers of the 24 hours, as well as stars of racing never missing to be in the hotel during that famous weekend.

For our accommodation we definitively booked the 35 rooms of a hotel located just 15 minutes from the circuit, with a secure private parking on asphalt.
As this number is likely to be insufficient, we also blocked an option in a second hotel as close to the circuit.
We shall come again on that question in 2015, with registration and deposits.
For those who do not know the «*Hotel de France*» in La Chartre sur le Loir, some word of history :

Opened in 1905, it remained owned by the same family for four generations. It is located about 40 km (27 miles) southeast of Le Mans. Few tens of kilometers that once echoed roaring racecar returning the hotel. Since the 50s, it was the base camp of racing teams participating in the famous " Le Mans 24 Hours." For twenty years, teams working on cars at night, preparing the cars for the next day. The DBR1 Aston Martin, Ford GT40 and Porsche 917 of the Team Gulf Oil are some race cars that shook the walls of the courtyard and place when the engineers came back to this base, propel the small roads in the direction of the circuit. Incredibly, this folklore lasted until 1970, when the mechanics of the three Gulf Porsche 917 drove them for the last time.

It's a long love story between the hotel and the race ... And this is necessarily a story that is still making dream the fans of the " 24 Hours «*. Inside, the walls of the hotel are covered with wallpaper, exclusive made, telling this rare and beautiful story between the hotel and the race, the saga of these drivers, these teams and these iconic cars nesting there, the time of the competition. The beautiful story between the hotel and especially the race began when John Wyer, a very charismatic team manager, discovered the property in 1953. The location, of course, but also the quality of the restaurant were decisive. Wyer settled there a fallback position for his team and for as long as he remains involved in racing. The preparation of the cars was in the courtyard of the hotel ensued transport to the circuit by small tourist routes converging towards Le Mans.

The Hotel de France is always appreciated and frequented by the icons of motorsport. Many winners of the " 24 Hours ": Derek Bell MBE, Jacky Ickx, Phil Hill, Jochen Rindt , Bruce McLaren and Carroll Shelby, Sir Stirling Moss OBE, Jackie Stewart, Mario Andretti and other drivers. Movie stars like Steve McQueen, the French President and the children of John and Robert Kennedy stayed at the Hotel de France.

The victory was celebrated at the hotel in 1959 when the Aston Martin DBR1, driven by Carroll Shelby and Roy Salvadori won the race for the Aston Martin team, driven by Wyer. For years, Wyer will drain the stables with which he has worked, Ford Advanced Vehicles, JW Automotive GT40 Mirage and even Porsche 917. All this beautiful world was based at the Hotel de France. But others, Ferrari, Chevrolet and Triumph departed from the hotel to the circuit. Many joyous events punctuate history of this special relationship between the hotel and the race, as this celebration in 2009 to mark the 50th anniversary of the victory of Aston Martin.

Parking in front of the Hotel de France , moves and buzzes still regularly crowded sports cars, classic motorcycles or when lovers or nostalgic visit the hotel to read the story and recover the atmosphere …

1964 : First GT40, and Eric BROADLEY behind:

In 2016, the enthusiasts of the Ford GT will be there !!!

View attachment 36174

WOW!! That is such a place of history!! Awesome photos, thank you for sharing!

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
I'm in for the HOTEL DE FRANCE.

David will you organising for us?

Yes - I'll be organising the trip for UK owners - Your name is at the top of the list.
When I have the details sorted out I'll send out an email

Dave

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Terrific post! Thanks for the images.
BTW, there was a mid 1970's article (R&T I think, maybe Motor Trend) about GT40 1075 and it mentioned that the chief mechanic drove the car back to the hotel after winning the race in either 1968 or 1969. If anyone has it, I'd love the know the month of the issue so I could try and find a copy.

mal

Heritage GT Owner
Nov 23, 2012
London/Kent, UK
Yes - I'll be organising the trip for UK owners - Your name is at the top of the list.
When I have the details sorted out I'll send out an email

Dave

I would like to join you this time Dave - let me know if you need any help organizing as we run a travel business from here and have organized many Le Mans trips.

M_FGT

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2013
I'm in also..sent you a PM

dochemi

Nov 13, 2010
i will go 2 people

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Epic pics!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Well if that doesn't give you goose bumps then you're not a racing fan. Super post!

Vince H

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
@ GENE CASSONE
@ MAL
@ JAXGT
@ BROMBEAR
@ LARRY21
@ M_FGT
@ DOCHEMI

I will be happy to welcome you all in France in 2016, and iI will do my best to make your stay a memorable one.

Here are some details for you and for those who have contacted me by PM :

- HOTEL DE FRANCE :

Our reservation at the Hotel de France only affects the «*welcome party*»,on Friday evening.
We will do our champagne cocktail, our gourmet dinner, our pictures of the Ford
GT in front of the hotel, our discovery of racing cars personalities, etc ...
We can not have our rooms there, because the hotel is very small, and reserved "for life"
by people who do not want to miss once the atmosphere of this weekend.

- OUR HOTEL ROOMS :

This is the most complex problem because the region of Le Mans lack of equipment.
As a result, around 100 km Le Mans, all the hotels are booked two years in two
years. In addition, directors multiply prices by two or three and needed to pay for
the complete week !!!
In 2014, David Jones and I were able to find 22 rooms in good financial condition, but
unfortunately scattered and far from the circuit (1 hour or 1h30).

That's why I started my research dice the end of the summer.
I just successfully concluded after lengthy negotiations.
We will have 35 comfortable rooms in a modern hotel, with parking
secure on asphalt, 15 minutes from the circuit, which is exceptional.
I also have a option for another 29 rooms in a similar hôtel.

For the moment, I managed to secure all these reservations, by "deposits" from my personal bank account.

All those who tell me they want to come, are immediately on my list, so assured of their room and their tables for 2016.

To simplify things to me, it would be good if everyone wanting to come, communicate to me their name, email address, number of people involved and the number of rooms desired, to the email address of the Club: european.ford.gt.owners.club@gmail.com

In the middle of 2015, I will ask everyone to confirm, identify needs and pay the reservations.

I note again that neither the Club nor I do not keep a penny. I make that service completely voluntary service, for my pleasure.

Best regards.

Francis.

Last edited: