Larger water radiator?

DominatorDon

Apr 26, 2006
Redlands, CA.
Does anyone know of a larger water radiator that is available that can merely be "bolted in"? Or do we need to have one custom fabed. At both Willow Springs and Miller Motorsports Park, anytime the ambient temperature got above 80deg the car would only run 4 laps or less before the temp needle was in the red and the computer would put it in stupid driver limp home mode. :ack This was with the heater running full throttle. We badly need additional water cooling. If we can add additional oil cooling somehow, this would get the oil heat out of the water. (See my other post). This would probably help some, but I think the real fix is more water cooling. Help!! Thanks alot for any info.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I was wondering about the oil cooling as well. It is routed to a heat exchanger that transfers the oil's heat to the engine coolant. If that is removed and replaced by a separate oil cooler that should help the situation. Maybe the trans cooler on the right duct and an oil cooler on the left duct.

Also I do you have the front grill that most of the 2005 production has. It has been reported that the car is cooler on the track without the grill. Others has said that it was dropped to save cost only. If you have the grill it would support the former.

BlackICE

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
I am a new owner and interested in this topic as I intend to track this car once I've got a few more miles on it. What are 'normal' opperating temps (water and oil) and usual 'track' temps?

I vintage race old Mini Coopers which are very sensitive to heat and boil over and warp heads very quickly. I did cured the problem by using a product call Evans Coolant - which has a boiling temp of around 370 degrees. I saw about a 15 degree drop in water temp readings. Not sure if it would be safe to use in the GT. I guess we could ask.

See http://www.evanscooling.com/

Gordo.

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
The World’s Fastest Cobra - 4.6 DOHC SVT Cobra is using it, so it should be safe !

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
evans...

OK...who is going to be the first one to try it?????

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Grill and cooling @ the track.

Grill and cooling @ the track.

I was fortunate enough to be part of a Ford team to test GT's at the track.
And can add some insight.

The grill change was not a cost save. It does help with track cooling. And is a worthy investment, It works.

The real track cooling issues is airflow / engine RPM problem.
It is a high RPM and low air speed deal.

The car exceeds all Ford requirements for cooling system performance.
And will equal or exceed all competive cars. In same day, same driver, same track testing.

But yes there is a track-cooling problem on circuits that have an average lap speed below 75 MPH.

There are a number of methods to improve track cooling. Some require compromises to systems like A/C performance. Others are less intrusive. The best thing is all items are additive. The more you do the longer you can run on track.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
MR2,

Keep going....we are listening...I notice you are in Dearborn...do you work for SVT? Mine is an 05 and I bought the 06 grill and have notced no improvement on the track. It is a little warmer now that it was before I switched the grill...so I am interested in more tips....what about the AC ? etc ?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Evans coolant works but may require upgraded water pump to gain maximum benefit. Remember it is a special coolant that has no water in it. Also it is somewhat expensive. Know of others who use it in race/special performance cars with great results to coolant and oil temps.

Dave

DominatorDon

Apr 26, 2006
Redlands, CA.
MAN'S car

Out here in So. Cal. in august at Willow Springs, it's 117deg+ in the shade (and there ain't no shade), the pavement temp in the pits is 160deg+, and you can't leave a wrench laying in the sun for more than 10sec before its WAY too hot to pick up. The lap average speed for this car is about 90mph. This kind of heat definately seperates the MEN from the BOYS. I want this car to be a MAN'S car!! If Ford had ever tested this thing at Willow in august, they would have quickly found out the water and oil cooling systems were only good enough for a street car. OOPS I forgot, it IS a street car!! :bow :bang :rolleyes

Last edited:

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Keep going....we are listening

kosupply said:
MR2,

Keep going....we are listening...I notice you are in Dearborn...do you work for SVT? ...what about the AC ? etc ?

Yes I was a member of the GT development Team with SVT.

And if you can eliminate the A/C condenser (a race only mod)
The track airflow problem is completely gone. Most of us will not try this.
But it does work! But is completely out of the question.

There are other mods that will help. Without impacting the A/C or street use.

While at SVT I developed a group of test procedures to define cooling system performance on and off the track. Using a data System to define the magnitude of a system change.

The system changes that work to keep the GT cool in hot racetrack environment. Are a bit too complex to describe in detail in this forum. If I tried, I feel, it would start a ton of misinformation. Doing more bad than good. As execution and insulation is critical to proper function.

I know this is not what you want to hear.

But I have an Idea. If an owner/racer or a group of owners is interested.
I would like to work on developing parts and procedures for the GT public.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
We are interested.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Would it be possible to move the a/c condenser to the rear of the car, under the clamshell, just inside the side scoop on the driver side?