Key Rant

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
I love this car to pieces and still cannot get over what a fantastic job Ford has done. I don't know about GM, but Ford really sweated the details here. For example the AC controls and gas cap are true works of art.
But who was in charge of the designing the keys? My father-in-law just bought an el cheapo Suzuki and his key/remote is vastly superior to what I got with my GT. Now I realize this is a street racer and not intended to be a luxury car. And I'm not asking for something super cool like the Enzo, but at least an integrated key/remote would be appreciated. Don't you agree that if Pardo designed and offered a better designed key with an integrated remote that many of us would cough up the extra dough? Or is the consensus that this type of matter is inconsequential in a car of this magnitude and greatness? :bs

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Ever seen the key to a Murcielago :lol The GT looks like a luxury item designed by Faberge in comparison.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
centerpunch said:
GTX1 or Ford GT key/fob all in one $245
http://www.gtx1.com/options.html

Thanks Centerpunch for the info. I'll contact them and see what they have. Some of their other options also look enticing and competitively priced.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I have no problem with the key set-up, maybe it could have been better but mine works well. As long as the doors open and the car starts I don't care.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
On a Ferrari challenge, the door opener from inside is a rip cable.... So what are you complaining about ? :wink
If you love the car, that's what matters. Keychain collection, go to www.myBarbie.com

cheers :cheers

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
sharp33 said:
Thanks Centerpunch for the info. I'll contact them and see what they have. Some of their other options also look enticing and competitively priced.

post a pic if you can get one.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
SLF360 said:
On a Ferrari challenge, the door opener from inside is a rip cable.... So what are you complaining about ? :wink
If you love the car, that's what matters. Keychain collection, go to www.myBarbie.com

cheers :cheers

You're right, I'm nitpicking here. But I just hate things hanging from the ignition. Since the car is equipped not with a rip cable but a remote lock/unlock (with a panic button?!?!) I just think it should be an integrated unit. :banana

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
This might be a silly question, but could we buy the GTX1 key set for our existing GT's? I would be willing to buy one, I hate 2-piece units. I took a Ford Fusion out for a drive, and it has an integrated remote in the key itself, so why not the GT which costs 10 times as much?

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Clax said:
This might be a silly question, but could we buy the GTX1 key set for our existing GT's? I would be willing to buy one, I hate 2-piece units. I took a Ford Fusion out for a drive, and it has an integrated remote in the key itself, so why not the GT which costs 10 times as much?

It looks like they do provide this for both the GTX1 and the GT. I've asked them to send me a picture and who/how to program the new integrated key remote. I'm still waiting for a reply but for $245 this sounds like the way to fly. :thumbsup

Shoman594

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
Maybe you could get a new Fusion key to work ?

2006-Ford-Fusion_integrate.jpg

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Shoman594 said:
Maybe you could get a new Fusion key to work ?

2006-Ford-Fusion_integrate.jpg

I guess some of the guys with Ford contacts would know if it could be made to work. I still think the GTX1 key would be the way to go.

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
sharp33 said:
It looks like they do provide this for both the GTX1 and the GT. I've asked them to send me a picture and who/how to program the new integrated key remote. I'm still waiting for a reply but for $245 this sounds like the way to fly. :thumbsup

Please let me know what you find out. I am definitely willing to pay for this.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
key blank

The fusion key will go in the gt lock but there are a total of 3 things that need to be compatable. 1. will the key go in the lock? yes 2. are the transponders compatable? unknown 3. is the alarm compatable? unknown.
I have a couple of friends looking into 2 & 3 for me. Should know by tommorow. It seems as though several companys make transponders for Ford and they are not compatable. But there is a aftermarket that does clones that possably would do special orders.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
well the gt takes the old chip, the Fusions take an e-chip, new fusions take a clicker head key. So they are not compatable.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
todd said:
well the gt takes the old chip, the Fusions take an e-chip, new fusions take a clicker head key. So they are not compatable.

Good idea that sounds like it did not pan out. Thanks for the leg work on this Todd. It guys like you that make this forum so worthwhile. :thumbsup

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Sharp dont give up so easy. I still have not exausted all my resourses.
stratatech makes the original pcm. which is supose to be hec. so I just have to find a clone.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Updates?

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Anyone been able to find/design/build an integrated key fob? There is a market out there for something better.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
My sense is it was a cost savings, and we benfited elsewhere, ie, Sparco seats instead of chopped Mustang seats.

Remember the Army pays $988 for toilet seats, so no saying what a custom key system costs for a new car.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I still have not exausted all my resourses.
stratatech makes the original pcm. which is supose to be hec. so I just have to find a clone.

Go Todd Go! If you can't break in NOBODY else can! Worse comes to worse - a little dab of C4 will do just nice :cheers