Just stumbled across this Mach-E video... pretty amazing.

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
I have not see this video previously. I, literally, just stumbled across it on the internet. I apologize if this was posted previously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Magic and DakotaGT

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
interesting stuff. No denying the unbelievable performance potential of electric vehicles.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I don't hate it. The future is coming. Never had much interest in electric cars, although I did recently get an electric assist bicycle and it's quite fun and a huge plus. Obviously different than a car, since I haven't had gas powered bicycles.

But the electric whine, that would be so weird. Like a gigantic electric RC car.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I too was a naysayer until a friend took me on a real up close and personal tour of his Tesla. The range is perfect for a city driver (grocery getter or even for a out-and-about sales). He charges once a week. He got in at the time when he still gets free charging at the bulk stations which is a good deal. It's still not a cross country vacation trip vehicle but it's a 80-90 percentile car. I think a 1/2-ton style electric only pickup truck would be a smash hit for those that need a daily driver work type truck for construction and stuff.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks Tony! I do think an electric pick up truck would make a lot of sense, as one could easily run corded power tools and other project support directly off the truck without gas generators or other complex after the fact set ups. And for business or other industry applications, run laptops and other electronics in Police SUVs, A/V equipment, etc. Hoping that solar technology advances alongside too, and becomes more efficient in recharging.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Tony! I do think an electric pick up truck would make a lot of sense, as one could easily run corded power tools and other project support directly off the truck without gas generators or other complex after the fact set ups. And for business or other industry applications, run laptops and other electronics in Police SUVs, A/V equipment, etc. Hoping that solar technology advances alongside too, and becomes more efficient in recharging.
The "generator" (actually, inverter) is part of the new Ford hybrid pickup (and as I recall, only on the hybrid). It uses an inverter from the batteries and so runs the engine when the batteries get low.

The Ford "Police Interceptors" are purpose built police cars and when I read up on them they have TONS of extra 12V power taps (some not the traditional plug in but special fused circuits for dedicated things like light bars and radios and all the other electronic widgets including laptops. That said, I don't know if they have a hybrid version of the interceptor although it would be a no brainer.

Is anyone doing factory rooftop solar panels? You're right, that would be another no brainer for that type of vehicle.

As was said, "It's coming". The battery part has become economically feasible and that's when technology takes off.

I'm not a big fan of residential ADD ON solar. It encumbers the property, and it's payback is about the life of the panels, so the add-ons don't make much sense. But... For all the goofy things CA does, some parts now dictate that new construction include solar panels, and the roofing materials guys are stepping up and supplying primary roof with solar "integrated". It's pricier, but easier to amortize than add on panels with traditional roofing underneath.

PS. Every EV I've seen can't be heard. Not like the electric model cars that the bad guy used to try to blow up Dirty Harry. In fact, I don't like it when one of those hybrids sneaks up on you in the parking lot from behind...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
In fact, I don't like it when one of those hybrids sneaks up on you in the parking lot from behind...

Me neither. Just this week, I accidentally walked in front of a hybrid driver repositioning her vehicle in front of my studio, since I didn't hear it nor expect her path of travel. No accident, but I was like, whew!, that could have been dangerous.