Is this normal for a high mileage car

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
So I see a thread for low mileage cars but a high mileage car is it gonna be more in my budget ,30k miles is about my limit . Found this one which overall is not gonna be a good fit for me because I live in California and it's got way too many modifications,including all those devices screwed in under the dash. But what I'm curious about is this amount of rock chips normal for 30 K car? I know they ride really low in the front & probably prone to rock chips but all the up the hood like this, this one's $369

Last edited:

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
I should mention this car has 29k miles on it

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
That kinda looks like a lot of chips. I'm sure it depends on where the car lived: Some cities have very poor roads with loose pavement / gravel. And how it was driven, whether or not the former owner was a tailgater. And highway vs city; Highways here in Florida seem very clean, not sure about elsewhere.

My 7k mile, 3-owner silver GT has 4-5 very minor chips and otherwise the finish is just about perfect. On the other hand I looked at a <3k mile GT in TX that had many more flaws than mine. And another in SW Florida that had a surprising number of chips for a 2,200-mile example.

I'm sure it also matters whether it was tracked, where the car might be jammed right up against cars in front of it haulin' ass, with cars getting off the pavement at times, etc.

Here are two 27,000-mile GTs on Bring a Trailer that you might be able to check out the front end zoom pics for comparison:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-ford-gt-90/ See pics 36 thru 47 - I'm not sure I see any chips.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-ford-gt-102/ See pics 34 thru 42 - I'm not sure I see any chips.

Those ^ are both red, which maybe is easier to disguise flaws in pics, not sure. Unfortunately I don't see any higher mileage blue or black GTs on BaT to compare.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Looks about right. I checked out at least 8-9 gts in person. Even the 300 mile one has a rock chip or two.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Maybe ford has softer paint? My porsche with 9000 miles barely had any rock chips.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Looks about right. I checked out at least 8-9 gts in person. Even the 300 mile one has a rock chip or two.
Not my 300-mile one (y) :cool:

Reactions: Johntpr

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Not my 300-mile one (y) :cool:
Lol what color is your 300 mile one?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Lol what color is your 300 mile one?
Uuhhmmm ... 🙂

1 Ext 4 IMG_2043b.JPG

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Thanks guys dealer told me its a one owner car out of a private collection ,but chipping seemed excessive to me ,not sure if clear bra protection was a thing back in "05 06" but this one is definitely not for me with all the mods & none of the original parts .Heres the ad though

Last edited:

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Yeah, way more than normal chipping. And clear film was around then......but it was problematic and didn't age well as I found out on another car. Make sure you understand the mods before going ahead. Price seems high, but not too many options below $400k the last time I looked.

So I see a thread for low mileage cars but a high mileage car is it gonna be more in my budget ,30k miles is about my limit . Found this one which overall is not gonna be a good fit for me because I live in California and it's got way too many modifications,including all those devices screwed in under the dash. But what I'm curious about is this amount of rock chips normal for 30 K car? I know they ride really low in the front & probably prone to rock chips but all the up the hood like this this one's $369
My car (34,000 miles) had a fair amount of front end chipping at 13,000 miles when I got it, so I put Clearplex on it back to the middle of the front wheel wells. Even so there are places where I can see the Clearplex saved the paint but has been indented by rocks. The place where most chipping has occurred is the front edge of the right air scoop - lots and lots of chipping, much more than on the front edge of the left scoop. I think that's because the right side of the road has more crap on it that gets thrown up. You should also look closely at the windshield for small chips. The protective film I put on my car has saved the windshield more than once!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
My car has 62K+ miles and is chipped up to hell, plus side scoops are sand blasted down to the plastic on the leading edges. No PPF on my car, I will do what Ajai did at some point - send it for a full refresh. However, like wrinkles on a face, the blemishes are a sign of a life well-lived!

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
That’s barely touched by rocks and I have lots in the same locations. Midnite blue shows battle scars, wear them proudly. My photos are are 140,000 miles. Recently picked up perhaps 1/4 of them from a hard plastic sheet thrown up by the car in f20220701_121104.jpgront of me that shattered on my front splitter including two pieces that split my splitter.

20230316_135919.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: nautoncall

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
20230316_060129.jpg

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
20220701_121032.jpgsome pictures did not go thru first two times.

Reactions: white out

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Thanks guys i guess the more miles the more rocks chips they will have which makes sense,but i'm not sure i'm willing to still have to pay 350k + for a higher milage car that's full of rock chips.I might have to reconsider my budget for a lower milage car after all.I did see another high milage one pop over the weekend ,looked clean from pics but it scares me because they say the PPf has been on it since it was new ,which can be just as big of a problem ,I've had to remove PPf film that was original to my 2007 911 turbo recently to repaint the front bumper & they had to literally chisel it off.

Last edited:

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Because it's high mileage, and I'm sure you'll drive it, it won't bring the money down the road no matter what. That said, take tons of pictures of before and after repainting it. It'll probably cost less to repaint than getting a lower mile car that will chip anyways, and the factory bodywork can be made better. I hate the way my rockers look. A GT should not have cellulite.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I recently replaced ppf on my car after 15 yrs, Used a steamer and came off easily. My car as 8000 miles, still looks like new!!

Reactions: RPM217

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Gene, what brand PPF was that?

Rob, I don't know if you've noticed my passenger side mirror, but it has a handful of black spots on the front of it. Those are where the paint chipped off, exposing the black plastic underneath. Drivers' side too, but not as bad. Curious what the difference. Maybe becuase I'm almost always in the left lane, and there's less possibility of crap getting kicked up on the driver's side?

67GT500: I have almost 80,000 miles on my red car. I had the front cover repainted about 30,000 niles ago (courtesy of someone who turned across traffic in four to fie, but it was just a walking speed swipe). Beofre repainting, mine was just as bad. It did not have PPF put on it when new. in the mid-2000's PPF was unusual. After repainting, I definitely had it applied! It has made a big difference in the last 30Kmi.

I know people approach a Ford GT like it's some supermodel (which it is), and should have cosmetic perfection (no supermodel does). If you drive your car, you will pick up more nicks and chips becuase the fronts of these cars are very low and there's just more crap bouncing off the road down there. If you want a near-perfect finish, then pay up, and don't drive it, because it won't stay that way if you do. Or get a car with chips, nicks, scratches, and then drive the snot out of it, like I do. At some point, get the paint fixed or get the front parts repainted. Then apply PPF. Then drive the snot out of it for a long time more. So don't pay up for a pristine example, buy one with miles and smiles on it, at a reduced price, and then add your own.

As I often say, buying a Ford GT and not driving it, is like marrying a supermodel and saving her for the next guy. Not me. I'm gonna wear her ass out!

Reactions: roketman