Is this normal for a high mileage car

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
Thanks guys i guess the more miles the more rocks chips they will have which makes sense,but i'm not sure i'm willing to still have to pay 350k + for a higher milage car that's full of rock chips.I might have to reconsider my budget for a lower milage car after all.I did see another high milage one pop over the weekend ,looked clean from pics but it scares me because they say the PPf has been on it since it was new ,which can be just as big of a problem ,I've had to remove PPf film that was original to my 2007 911 turbo recently to repaint the front bumper & they had to literally chisel it off.
If they had to chisel it off they didn’t know what they were doing unfortunately

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Llumar was the PPF. Replaced it with XPel. At the timer Llumar was highly rated. Garage who did the work uses multiple suppliers and usually not an issue removing old film with steam.

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
Llumar was the PPF. Replaced it with XPel. At the timer Llumar was highly rated. Garage who did the work uses multiple suppliers and usually not an issue removing old film with steam.
Oh. I had my entire car done in Expel. I was told shelf life is around 10 yrs. The removal does require patience but not difficult…..

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
When I got my GT, 10 years ago, I rode around with the PPF that was on it, for a couple of years, but it had yellowed badly. 5 Years ago, I had it removed, my detailer said it was a bitch to remove, and had the entire car rewrapped in Xpel. Car now has over 19,000 miles, and looks fantastic!!!

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
When I got my GT, 10 years ago, I rode around with the PPF that was on it, for a couple of years, but it had yellowed badly. 5 Years ago, I had it removed, my detailer said it was a bitch to remove, and had the entire car rewrapped in Xpel. Car now has over 19,000 miles, and looks fantastic!!!
Good to know rpm. I’m thinking my next wrap would be in a solid color by expel if available.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Good to know rpm. I’m thinking my next wrap would be in a solid color by expel if available.
Mine is "clear", car had about 12,000 miles, when I had the wrap removed, and rewrapped. I love my white/blue, so want to show it off to the max. Had the car paint corrected, wrapped, and ceramic coated............looks better than new!!!

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
As I often say, buying a Ford GT and not driving it, is like marrying a supermodel and saving her for the next guy. Not me. I'm gonna wear her ass out!

Please get her a diaper or sth 😂

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Thanks & all valid points i know in the Porsche world It's somewhat acceptable to repaint your lower trim & front bumper cover ,just not any major panels.Found this 40k mile review from YouTuber Doug Demuro who also owns Cars & Bids he's got a Gt & a few Videos on it .

And this one when he bought it which seems to show a fair amount of rock chips at 30k miles also

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Piker.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks & all valid points i know in the Porsche world It's somewhat acceptable to repaint your lower trim & front bumper cover.

IMO, all this hand wringing went into hyperdrive when online auctions took hold and peanut gallery questioners started demanding paint meter readings on everything.

Before that it was mostly in the realm of big time collectors looking for investment/museum vehicles.

Reactions: KJD

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
Thanks & all valid points i know in the Porsche world It's somewhat acceptable to repaint your lower trim & front bumper cover ,just not any major panels.Found this 40k mile review from YouTuber Doug Demuro who also owns Cars & Bids he's got a Gt & a few Videos on it .

And this one when he bought it which seems to show a fair amount of rock chips at 30k miles also

Look up Narc

Look up narcissism

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
When I sold my 1100 miles totally unmolested black/silver car,the purchasing inspector took literally thousands of paint thickness readings. They were all over the place. At least as far as GTs go, wide variations in thickness is no indicator of rework, just reflective of the factory process.

Reactions: Nafod

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I’d say that car is a good example of why you should clear film(Xpel)your car
I refilmed mine about 4 years ago
No stone chips on my 60k mile car

Attachments

• C79B5990-2B45-4179-AD70-8D80036F45C9.jpeg
    C79B5990-2B45-4179-AD70-8D80036F45C9.jpeg