Is there "GT" certification?

bonedoc

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2006
Wichita, KS
Ok, there is a local dealership that says their staff is specially certified to work on the GT. But, the GT support line says their is no such thing. Does anyone else know about this topic, or is it BS so that I will take my car to their dealership?

H

HHGT

bonedoc said:
Ok, there is a local dealership that says their staff is specially certified to work on the GT. But, the GT support line says their is no such thing. Does anyone else know about this topic, or is it BS so that I will take my car to their dealership?

Most of these dealers have had to do a 2 hour online training - and that came from a dealer that services SVT.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Ask about prior GT service's at that store.

Most of us dealers are in the same boat.

Almost every service for a GT is new to the tech.

Prior service's is the only way to get familiar with the car.

I have been training my guys on mine adding 2 different exhaust systems, oil changes, safe lifting(on a drive on lift)
clam shell off and on's. It's a learning curve.

Know your dealer/operator.

I really don't see how it is much different for any kind of a manufacture with a new product.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I would agree with PilotJPW1 with mechanic training. Be sure service work on your Ford GT is done my a Ford Master Tech. Most every Dealership will have (master Techs.) Another Dealer TH.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Many of the SVT dealers had an opportunity to have service techs ceritified on the GT. Mine went to Dearborn to be trained. They do get some kind of piece of paper saying they are factory trained. The one at my servicing dealership works Saturdays and is a great guy. First oil change, I watched him like a hawk and he did everything perfectly (including flooring it to build up pressure) without my having to harp. He is the only one in the shop allowed to move my car (service managers orders). They do exist, and finding a SVT dealership gives you better odds on finding one.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
I had asked the guys at the end of the Wixom plant tour this question, because I found it surprising that there were so many negative Ford dealership service posts. There was a man that everyone was asking questions to (can't think of who it was) & he said that every dealer that gets their car directly from them has to have at least one person "trained" on the GT. (I don't know what that training entails as the only way it could be hands on would be to send these guys to the plant.) However, he did understand this was a "weak point" & admitted to being a little nervous to bring his in to the dealer...

If you're in an area where there are other GT owners, you might want to ask them where they've gone & try to get a feel for which places people are giving the thumbs up & which they are telling you to avoid. I'll have an advantage when I get mine, because there are a lot of GT owners in FL & many of them will already have had service done to theirs. :thumbsup

If you bring it in & they don't know the difference between the Ford GT & the Mustang GT, they have never put one on a lift, never seen one, or they tell you it will cost $30 for an oil change & to come back in 1/2 hr, I would probably want to find somewhere else to go... :bored

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
bonedoc said:

Where do you live? You could call SVT aka Ford Racing and ask them for a reccomendation. Luckily my Dealership is in Dearborn so we have seen our share of customers, but once in a while there is something that SSV should handle if convienient. "Cobrar and 50 BMG" both had issues that they were able to get resolved because they were in the right place at the right time.
Cobrar had a door alignment problem unique to the GT, and 50 BMG had a bad oil pressure gauge that was replaced indivually instead of the whole gauge cluster that the GT tech line did not know about.

Unfortunatly SSV is not set up to be a repair facillity. It was during the rally and the people on the Ford and SSV teams and everyone else involved with the cars did everything they could do. Detroit pride at it's best!

Keith

Last edited:

bonedoc

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2006
Wichita, KS
scode said:
Where do you live? You could call SVT aka Ford Racing and ask them for a reccomendation. Luckily my Dealership is in Dearborn so we have seen our share of customers, but once in a while there is something that SSV should handle if convienient. "Cobrar and 50 BMG" both had issues that they were able to get resolved because they were in the right place at the right time.
Cobrar had a door alignment problem unique to the GT, and 50 BMG had a bad oil pressure gauge that was replaced indivually instead of the whole gauge cluster that the GT tech line did not know about.

Unfortunatly SSV is not set up to be a repair facillity. It was during the rally and the people on the Ford and SSV teams and everyone else involved with the cars did everything they could do. Detroit pride at it's best!

Keith

I am in Wichita, Kansas. I talked to my sales-person today and they got it all taken care of...thank god