Is it possible to LOWER the driver's seat?!?

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
I have found the first obstacle to Ford GT ownership for me.... can't fit in it! :frown

I thought the salesperson was going to scalp me when he closed the door :ack

I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall and weigh about 220lbs (15.5 stone) and I always seem to have a problem with sports cars due to being tall (and my guess is a long upper body).

While I could just fit in the GT with the doors closed, I had to move my bum down the seat, to create more headroom, which would lead to pains in my lower back and was far from a good driving position.

Leg room - clearance in the peddle box - knees on steering column: all fine!

I just need 1 inch or more in the seat height.

Has anyone dropped their seat? Does anyone make a kit for this? Does anyone else have this issue?

:confused

You can't all be Umpa Lumpas?!? :biggrin :wink

umpa-lumpa-40881.jpg

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
See this thread: there is an aftermarket seat lowering kit available.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1802&highlight=lower+seat

It's worth doing a search on the forum if you have any questions: most common things have been asked at some point and there is a wealth of info in here!

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
flyingsniffer said:
See this thread: there is an aftermarket seat lowering kit available.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1802&highlight=lower+seat

It's worth doing a search on the forum if you have any questions: most common things have been asked at some point and there is a wealth of info in here!

Thank you - and it's nice to be a newbie and be told to use the search function :wink :biggrin

That thread is fine - except that it seems to suggest that the seat is required and thus it would have to be sent to the US :confused

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Yes the seat is required. The seat is opened up and cushioning taken out and replaced with air bladders that are adjustable. It is in theory reversable. I have been looking for a solution to be able to wear a helmet at the track. For $1500 I am tempted to find a fixed seat for track use.

Derry

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Nomis

You could have some one in ENgland remove the padding. Except for this option or totally replacing the seat there is now ay of lowering the seat. This has been confirmed to me by the Saleen personnel, Ford GT assembly personnel, and others.

BTW I used to live in Surrey.

Dave

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
There are some other threads that talk about this issue.

Easiest is to move the seat forward a little (there is plenty of leg room), and then angle the seat back so that you lay out a little more. There are a lot of tall guys in these cars and they do not have a problem fitting. I'm 6-1 with no issues at all.

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
AZGT said:
There are some other threads that talk about this issue.

Easiest is to move the seat forward a little (there is plenty of leg room), and then angle the seat back so that you lay out a little more. There are a lot of tall guys in these cars and they do not have a problem fitting. I'm 6-1 with no issues at all.

Wish that was the case - I tried the 'chill-out' position and while it gave me 'more' headroom, it ruined the driving position and was far from ideal for any kind of spirited driving :shrug

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
barondw said:
Nomis

You could have some one in ENgland remove the padding. Except for this option or totally replacing the seat there is now ay of lowering the seat. This has been confirmed to me by the Saleen personnel, Ford GT assembly personnel, and others.

BTW I used to live in Surrey.

Dave

Dave,

I currently reside in Surrey - small world :cheers

Thanks for the confirmation from Saleen and Ford personnel

And yes, I could have someone 'attack' the seat in the UK - there are plenty of good 'coach building' companies who could undertake this kind of job but I still hoped there would be an 'easy' fix (for instance low rails, etc).

Simon

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Nomis, the steering wheel is adjustable for both up/down and in/out. It has quite a range, as does the seat travel. If I'm not mistaken, Neilda has stated he is 6'2'' and even fits with a helmet.

CarBuilderGirl

May 28, 2006
Seattle, WA
We lower the seats two inches, and they are actually softer when it's done.. I know that doesn't make sense, but our upholsterer was kind enough to take good pics of before and after and outline some of the process.. It really wouldn't be appropriate to remove the padding.. and the seats are a lot more supple.. my only concern in long term wear of the leather, we are working on getting the same rigid leather that Ford uses, but as yet we only have the really soft stuff.. looks great, feels great.. and since we guarantee all of our work, the wear issue isn't too much of a concern for the consumer.. I'd mind the keys in the back pocket though.. :wink

~Grace

http://www.gtx1.com/options.html will show you some that have been done..

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Hi Grace,

Thank you for your reply :)

Can you please clarify a few points: -

when you say the seat is softer post modification - do you mean the leather is softer (not sure because of your comments about soft-leather later on in your reply), or that the actual seat base is softer in terms of firmness?

You mention an upholsterer - do you re-leather the seat? If so, why?

You also mention that the upholster "took good pics of before and after and outline the process" but I can only see one photo on your website (a top down view of a red GT - and this doesn't seem to illustrate much - so perhaps I'm missing the valid link?)

You talk about leather and how you are yet to source Ford leather - again, why is there a need for new leather with the seat lowering option?

As for the guarantee - nice to know if you live in the USA but unfortunately, not very useful for us in the UK :wink - hence the questions

Thank you in advance

Simon

CarBuilderGirl said:
We lower the seats two inches, and they are actually softer when it's done.. I know that doesn't make sense, but our upholsterer was kind enough to take good pics of before and after and outline some of the process.. It really wouldn't be appropriate to remove the padding.. and the seats are a lot more supple.. my only concern in long term wear of the leather, we are working on getting the same rigid leather that Ford uses, but as yet we only have the really soft stuff.. looks great, feels great.. and since we guarantee all of our work, the wear issue isn't too much of a concern for the consumer.. I'd mind the keys in the back pocket though.. :wink

~Grace

http://www.gtx1.com/options.html will show you some that have been done..

Last edited:

CarBuilderGirl

May 28, 2006
Seattle, WA
new pics

The padding is a different type of foam, it is a little softer.. the leather is more supple as well. here are the pics:

twoseats.jpg

beforeafterseat.jpg

seatscomp2.jpg

:cheers