Introduction and a question: Why the Ford GT?

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
Hello everyone, after reading, watching, and dreaming about the Ford GT I couldn't help but join this, what seems to be very friendly and helpful, forum. I just wish I saw more of them, I live in Houston and go all over the city for car shows/meets etc. and I have only seen two on the street (not that I'm really suprised honestly), and both times it was a beautiful sight. One of the reasons I started looking at the GT (and fell in love with it) is that I'm a Ford fan and a really big SVT fan, and after seeing so many super cars and exotics, that everyone drools over, it was the GT that really caught my eye.

Now I'm no where near the position to afford one though, being 19 and attending college, I don't see myself driving one for quite sometime, and of course the idea of ever driving one is uncertain. However, I am driving my realistic dream car (one that is a real affordable possibility) a 2000 SVT Lightning (which, yes, I am paying for myself). If anyone is intrested in what is done to it just ask. I think I actually saw someone on here mention that they have one as a daily driver or something of the sort. Here's a picture:

Storm.jpg

So now for the question: why the Ford GT? I'm curious what it was about the car that made all of you, the owners, decide on the GT, instead of say, a F430, a Gallardo, or even a C6 ZO6. Now it seems as though alot of you who are on here not only own a GT but a *insert exotic car here* as well, or have had said exotic, and the question still applies, why was the GT the new addition to the garage?

I know what I like about the car, but I've been curious as to what those who bought them (considering the average person cannot afford the car in any way) liked about them so much.

Oh, I do have one more question though: Did the SVT division of Ford have anything to do with the car? I'm in the planning stages of having a Houston wide SVT day, and I began to think about the GT, and wasn't quite sure if it could be called a SVT car or not.

So greetings everyone and I hope to learn more about the GT's and the community! :cheers

-BlackStorm (Jeff)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Welcome to the forum....

I think many here found the shape of the GT40 and the subsequent GT a little hard to resist. This, in combination with the car being somehow a more 'honest' supercar has tempted many to buy and almost none to regret. The fact that the GT40 was a success in Le Mans adds sparkle and lustre to the car and makes it appeal to genuine motoring enthusiasts rather than the typical lottery winner. If you see what I mean.

There are a significant number of forum members (myself included) who have owned most of the worlds supercar marques - Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin etc - however the GT stands apart, perhaps even above, in styling respects and is as competitive in performance terms.

I was watching a motoring program on the television last night and the presenter was driving a new 430 spyder, his opening comment was 'this is guaranteed to bring out the tosser in you'. Which is sort of demonstrates how many supercars are regarded - flashy, designed to impress, etc. The GT seems remarkably capable of only stirring positive emotions in everyone.

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
And that's the reason I like the car so much, the fact that it stands apart from the other supercars. There are a few people I talk to who don't like the car because of the cost and fall back on the "ZO6 is such a better deal" argument but it's still a Corvette; nothing in the world seems to be like the GT (execpt, of course, the GT40).

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Welcome!

Unlike many others here, I never owned an "exotic" car or even a really nice car before buying my GT. However, I have always admired the original GT40 and its derivatives and rank the original GT40 as one of the most stunning post-WWII cars made. Being a Ford fan, I could not pass on the opportunity to own the "reincarnated" GT40. In my opinion, it is not only the ultimate Ford, but the most beautiful car produced today. An added bonus is that people don't assume you are a snob simply because you have one because, in the final analysis, it's still a Ford.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Welcome to the forum and keep your dream alive. I'm 50 and when I started to get revved up about cars (remember there were no PC's, cell phones or video games back then) the GT40 was winning the 68 and 69 Le Mans races. That car became my dream car to own someday and it never left my heart. When I got older the dream vanished as the only GT40s available for the street went into the stratosphere price-wise. Then in 2003 Ford unveiled the GT and suddenly the dream came back into the realm of possibility.
You appear to be mature and well versed in your approach to life. Keep working hard and you'll acheive your dreams. :thumbsup

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
Nice truck! The GT is a classic design like a c2 Corvette or a P-51 that transcends trends and fads. Some cutting edge cars (Lambo comes to mind) look dated very quickly when trends change. The GT is a 40 year old design that still takes your breath away. And ditto what Neil said.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
The GT is my first, of I hope many, exotics.

While not as rare/exotic as a McLaren F1 or F-40/F-50, the GT is more rare/exotic than most Ferrari or Lambos, performs better and cost less. The Z06, even the Blue Devil, is still a corvette, and corvettes are not rare/exotic.

So, for me, the GT is all things, Rare - Exotic - Performance, the only thing it isn't is European. Take away the snob appeal and the GT is best choice for many of us.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Very thoughtful post and a good question. My answers, in no particular order:

1. Heritage of the Car

2. Styling (seeing one on the road takes your breath away)

3. Very unique in the Exotic realm, and its a Yank creation at that!

4. Limited production -- no more coming and to see one really is a treat for people. It makes me happy to see other people happy.

5. Blistering performance

6. V-8 Rumble with the right pipe on it

7. Driving feel: Evo magazine said it best when they called it a 550 hp Elise.

8. Its a Ford :thumbsup

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
"There goes a Gallardo...that's pretty cool...almost thought it was a Nissan...that's a cool color."

"There goes a Corvette...is that a Z06...yes....no....would have to look at the badging....wait...no, its the standard coupe...isn't it?"

"Oh, my God! I just saw a Ford GT!."

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I've owned a '70 GTO, a '96 Mustang Cobra, and a '97 Roush Stage II Mustang, amongst other vehicles.

I've also owned an e28 535is, an e36 M3 and currently own an e39 M5. I've test ridden the BMW K1200S motorcycle for 44 laps on the Nurburgring for BMW. So, I do enjoy european/german vehicles as well.

But, I try not to get too stuck into brand loyalty alone. With each vehicle purchase, or experience, I try to assess my needs, and buy the vehicle that best fits, and offers a good value.

The GT is way over the top in terms of my typical car budget. I paid under $50K for my used M5 a couple years ago, which I thought was fairly high for a used car with 35,000 or so miles. But relatively speaking, if you look at cars at the Ford GT level of performance and heritage class, with (somewhat) limited production numbers, I believe it is a solid value.

And whatever I own, I want to be able to use it (drive it regularly without hesitation). I anticipate that the GT operating costs (insurance, maintenance, consumables) will not be outrageous, in contrast to its peer group (Ferrari/Porsche CGT/Lambo). That is very attractive to me.

I considered the Porsche GT3, the Porsche C4S, and the Aston Martin Vantage. But, when I researched the GT and all it was based on, and how it was produced, the choice was simple. I look forward to enjoying this car.

BTW, I had a 1984 VW GTI as my only car through part of high school, all of college, and part of law school. So, with a SVT Lightning, you are way ahead of me. I've driven a highly modified Lightning and it was insane.

How easy is the oil change on the Ford GT? Time for me to start doing it myself again. Never owned a mid engine car, I assume it should be relatively easy to access. Who's done their changes so far?

Last edited:

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2006
My last supercar was a '69 Camaro LS6 (454/450).

I've worked on and driven the Viper Mark I (it's a BEAST) and the new 7-litre Vette (surprisingly ho-hum).

I checked out the Ferraris, Masers, Lambos, etc. at Penske in Vegas.

Bottom line: If your Euro car breaks (and it will), who's gonna fix it?

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
Bit of a long post, I know...

Thank you for the welcome everyone! I haven't had the chance to check the thread in the last day and half because of school, this was nice to see when I returned!

SuperB said:
The GT is my first, of I hope many, exotics.

While not as rare/exotic as a McLaren F1 or F-40/F-50, the GT is more rare/exotic than most Ferrari or Lambos, performs better and cost less. The Z06, even the Blue Devil, is still a corvette, and corvettes are not rare/exotic.

So, for me, the GT is all things, Rare - Exotic - Performance, the only thing it isn't is European. Take away the snob appeal and the GT is best choice for many of us.

Exactly, a Corvette, no matter the model, is not an exotic. That's why if someone says a ZO6 beat a GT, and that the ZO6 is the better car, I tell them it's not just about being fast in a straight line, there is alot of pride in owning a Ford GT.

DeaconBlues said:
Nice truck! The GT is a classic design like a c2 Corvette or a P-51 that transcends trends and fads. Some cutting edge cars (Lambo comes to mind) look dated very quickly when trends change. The GT is a 40 year old design that still takes your breath away. And ditto what Neil said.

Thanks! Yes it does take your breath away still, even after so long!

Sinovac said:
Unlike many others here, I never owned an "exotic" car or even a really nice car before buying my GT. However, I have always admired the original GT40 and its derivatives and rank the original GT40 as one of the most stunning post-WWII cars made. Being a Ford fan, I could not pass on the opportunity to own the "reincarnated" GT40. In my opinion, it is not only the ultimate Ford, but the most beautiful car produced today. An added bonus is that people don't assume you are a snob simply because you have one because, in the final analysis, it's still a Ford.

That's a very intresting point, on the snob comment, I like it!

eshrink said:
"There goes a Gallardo...that's pretty cool...almost thought it was a Nissan...that's a cool color."

"There goes a Corvette...is that a Z06...yes....no....would have to look at the badging....wait...no, its the standard coupe...isn't it?"

"Oh, my God! I just saw a Ford GT!."

Hahaha, that honestly made me laugh because that's exactly what my friends and I have said. The first time I saw a GT on the road I was with a friend of mine at a big car meet, and while in the middle of this group talking, I yell "Oh my God! GT GT GT," as I grab my friend and point at the car while it is coming off the highway. There are very few cars that make me actually jump and start yelling.

KJRGT said:
Welcome to the forum and keep your dream alive. I'm 50 and when I started to get revved up about cars (remember there were no PC's, cell phones or video games back then) the GT40 was winning the 68 and 69 Le Mans races. That car became my dream car to own someday and it never left my heart. When I got older the dream vanished as the only GT40s available for the street went into the stratosphere price-wise. Then in 2003 Ford unveiled the GT and suddenly the dream came back into the realm of possibility.
You appear to be mature and well versed in your approach to life. Keep working hard and you'll acheive your dreams. :thumbsup

Thank you, I love the fact that you had this dream car in your heart then it disappears, but returns!

w. mitty said:
Very thoughtful post and a good question. My answers, in no particular order:

1. Heritage of the Car

2. Styling (seeing one on the road takes your breath away)

3. Very unique in the Exotic realm, and its a Yank creation at that!

4. Limited production -- no more coming and to see one really is a treat for people. It makes me happy to see other people happy.

5. Blistering performance

6. V-8 Rumble with the right pipe on it

7. Driving feel: Evo magazine said it best when they called it a 550 hp Elise.

8. Its a Ford :thumbsup

Everything I love about the car right there!

SYCO GT said:
And whatever I own, I want to be able to use it (drive it regularly without hesitation). I anticipate that the GT operating costs (insurance, maintenance, consumables) will not be outrageous, in contrast to its peer group (Ferrari/Porsche CGT/Lambo). That is very attractive to me.

I considered the Porsche GT3, the Porsche C4S, and the Aston Martin Vantage. But, when I researched the GT and all it was based on, and how it was produced, the choice was simple. I look forward to enjoying this car.

BTW, I had a 1984 VW GTI as my only car through part of high school, all of college, and part of law school. So, with a SVT Lightning, you are way ahead of me. I've driven a highly modified Lightning and it was insane.

I thought about maintance cost on one of these cars and I thought about the fact that it has to be cheaper than dealing with any Ferrari/Lambo/Aston Martin.

Hehe, I have big plans for the truck, just need my money tree to grow!

1827 said:
My last supercar was a '69 Camaro LS6 (454/450).

I've worked on and driven the Viper Mark I (it's a BEAST) and the new 7-litre Vette (surprisingly ho-hum).

I checked out the Ferraris, Masers, Lambos, etc. at Penske in Vegas.

Bottom line: If your Euro car breaks (and it will), who's gonna fix it?

Haha, an LS6 in a 69, that's awesome. I bet that thing moved!

Right now my truck is 392/498.

azferrari

Oct 3, 2005

Come on...........get your design shapes correct here. The Gallardo doesn't look like a 350Z......no way! Now, a Toyota Celica........that's a closer match! Just kidding......my Gallardo looks like........well........a Gallardo!

"Look, there's a .......a .......a kit car of some kind......back in the 60's wasn't it? Some kind of Ford, I think........yeah........with those doors that take your head off.........and you've got to park away from everyone so you can get out of it..........and those "A" pillars that block your vision......and........."

Awe, come on............I'm just kidding around :) :thumbsup

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
Haha, the Gallardo doesn't look like a Nissan, true. But everytime I see a Lambo (all...oh...2 times) I always say, wow that's a cool color.