Installed some new tires (345's) today

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
...The tires were purchased at Butler Tire in Marietta, Georgia. He was only able to obtain 3 sets initially. As for the other 2, 1 is being installed on a local GT and the other is being shipped to a California owner. The price to ship the tires including shipping is about $2200... kirbyvieira@bellsouth.net These tires provide a big :biggrin:biggrin

Guys...These tires are available on-line from TireRack for less money...regular or run-flat. Actually, you can get them even cheaper from CostCo, less a current $60.00 rebate for four tires. CostCo also provides free nitrogen at any CostCo location if you buy tires there. Some of the others charge extra for nitrogen. CostCo MOUNTED AND BALANCED, at a ridiculously low price compared to the local wheel store experts, my tires on HRE wheels and guaranteed if they scratched or marred a wheel they would happily replace. I confirmed the tire manager's claim with the store manager. I thought, what the heck! The job was perfect...no extra charge for run-flat mounting or mounting with LTPWS systems, either. Plus, I got another 2% back on my CostCo American Express rebate card. They have postings at this store of Porsches and Vipers they have also done. They took photos of my job and posted them in the store. Although nervous, I was duly impressed with their work.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dear Dick, you definetly have balls.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Dear Dick, you definetly have balls.

I forgot to mention...they also verified with the warehouse the production dates on the tires were current. All four were made within the last 7 months. Balls, maybe...but my billfold is over $200 thicker versus the next lowest bid for mounting and balancing alone.

P.S. You can buy them at CostCo and have someone else mount and balance...

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
I'm all for saving money, providing there's no chance of it costing more money or aggravation before it's over. If the tires are being shipped, it's the way to go. I got mine at the best tire place in Atlanta, which IMO is the only place to take a GT. They balanced the tires both off and on the car, and cleaned the calipers and wheels inside and out (as new). My old tires were put in clean tire bags for later pickup. While there I became fast friends with a cool car guy having Pierlli's put on his F40 who invited me into a very private circle of car guys that I might otherwise never have the opportunity to meet. The store manager is a similar car guy with whom there is now a strong common bond. Although it was not anticipated, there was a lot more to the tire experience than tires.

Regardless of where you get your tires, IMO the PS2's are worth whatever you pay. At 28 psi, they hook up better than stock, they're spinning faster, and give the car a more muscular lowered look. :cheers I'm still working on the pictures.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I'm all for saving money, providing there's no chance of it costing more money or aggravation before it's over. If the tires are being shipped, it's the way to go. I got mine at the best tire place in Atlanta, which IMO is the only place to take a GT. They balanced the tires both off and on the car, and cleaned the calipers and wheels inside and out (as new). My old tires were put in clean tire bags for later pickup. While there I became fast friends with a cool car guy having Pierlli's put on his F40 who invited me into a very private circle of car guys that I might otherwise never have the opportunity to meet. The store manager is a similar car guy with whom there is now a strong common bond. Although it was not anticipated, there was a lot more to the tire experience than tires.

Regardless of where you get your tires, IMO the PS2's are worth whatever you pay. At 28 psi, they hook up better than stock, they're spinning faster, and give the car a more muscular lowered look. :cheers I'm still working on the pictures.

Once again the GT opened doors that one never knew existed!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Quick internet calculator indicated that effective final drive ratio from the change should be about 3:54 (original tires 28.9 tall, new tires 27.4 from what I saw)

http://wildcatent.freeyellow.com/zookmods/calc.htm

Last edited:

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
No Offense Meant, None Taken.

No offense ever meant, none taken over this issue. I always buy my tires at the best possible price and typically take to a place I am confident can do the job right with the least risk. I have found some places have more marketing hype than the financial facts will ever bear out, so am always skeptical. One thing not mentioned is that the Michelins have a full industry standard tread depth while the Goodyear Supercar tires do not. You should get longer tire life under normal driving conditions, and a quieter ride. I can vouch, even with run-flats (giving me great peace of mind while traveling), the ride is good and the noise is less than my OEM tires.

You were indeed fortunate with your timing at the tire shop. Just think, you might have gotten there when they were working on a Honda Civic...and your experience would have been as drab as most of mine usually are.

Take care... be sure to check your alignment, and enjoy the tires! I certainly agree with your positive assessment of them.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
You got 9500 miles out of your rears? I think my grandma is holding driving lessons next week. I can get you in.

lol

I almost made it to 5000.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Anyone have an opinion on the performance characteristics of run-flats versus regular tires for the PS2's in a street-only application, and also in a track day environment.

Thoughts would be much appreciated.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Do vipers have wider stock tires than us?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Do vipers have wider stock tires than us?

yep...

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Here's a side by side comparrison of the stock tires vs the PS 2's on Kirbys car.
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

Last edited: