Inlet Tube "Collapsing"?

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
It mentions on Kenne Bell's website that under high PSI that the stock inlet tube collapses, and they recommend replacing it with a unit by Accufab, however Accufab does not have such a product yet.

For those of you that are running smaller pulleys and higher PSI, can you comment on the inlet tube? Do you have a problem with it collapsing? If so, what have you done to remedy the problem?

KenBMD

Feb 22, 2006
Clax said:
It mentions on Kenne Bell's website that under high PSI that the stock inlet tube collapses, and they recommend replacing it with a unit by Accufab, however Accufab does not have such a product yet.

For those of you that are running smaller pulleys and higher PSI, can you comment on the inlet tube? Do you have a problem with it collapsing? If so, what have you done to remedy the problem?

Yes it is a problem. Accufab's solution is to put an insert in the tube. This will keep the tube from collapsing. But I think the real problem needs to be addressed. If the tube is collapsing, that means the airbox is now a restriction causing a vaccum in the inlet tube. So the proper fix is to relieve the restriction by improving, redesigning the airbox for higher boost.

Ken

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
So Accufab actually has an insert available? Do you have any details on this? What about a stiffer inlet tube replacement?

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Does this only show up on cars with smaller pulleys?

Is their any improvement when using the K&N filters?

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Inlet Tube Collapsing ?

Is the COLLAPSING on the 05 or 06 GT's ? My 06 GT has a VERY stiff inlet pipe!! I just changed the filters to a K & N. I also removed the directed baffles in each side of the inlet in the clamshell.

AMB

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
AMB said:
I also removed the directed baffles in each side of the inlet in the clamshell.
AMB

I haven't looked at the design yet, but you might want to think about the baffles. Maybe they are there to direct water from going into the intake. Of course if you never drive in the rain it is not an issue.

BlackICE

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
BlackICE

If you look at the baffles. they are open as the bottom too, so water can get into the intake. It looks like it dirrectes the air to the engine compartment and lets some air to go to the inlet.

AMB