Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I think IndyCar has greater problems than just a new rule. I had no idea that the race was this weekend and I live only 25 miles away. There wasn't any of the usual advertising or hype that surrounds the race. The local news channels didn't talk about it beforehand.............well if they did, it wasn't much.

Long Beach used to be 'AN EVENT' here.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"The penalty was immediate. Chevrolet has three cars from Team Penske (Helio Castroneves, WILL POWER (I love that name, BTW!) and Ryan Briscoe"...etc.

..and Power's Chevy powered car won ANYWAY despite the "penalty". 'Poetic justice? Karma perhaps?

Racing in general has become just too clogged with nitpicky 'because-we-say-so' meddling IMO.

Buuuuuuuuut, what do I know...

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
CHevy's destroyed the Honda's on gas mileage.... I mean killed them by 10-15 laps..

Kingman, me too, it's 90 minutes away, would have been there in a heartbeat. Never knew it was coming. It's in Brazil this weekend, if we leave now in teh4 GT's we can get there a day early.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
CHevy's destroyed the Honda's on gas mileage.... I mean killed them by 10-15 laps..

Gasp! Then look for weight penalties on the Chevy powered rigs shortly! :rofl

Yeah, the sportscasters were all commenting on that particular li'l factoid all day.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I used to be the print vendor and can tell you the event has been dying a slow death sense a few years before Champ Car went away. We had printed as many as 60k very high end programs in the past and I think the number was around 10k this year and they were very budget . The Charity ball was always a who's who event where you could rub elbows with both current and past stars of F-1 and Cart/Champ and tickets were harder to get than a NBA Laker final. A few years back the charity event was canceled altogether. I'm in So Cal at the moment and didn't hear a single local radio ad, turned on Wind Tunnel and almost nothing and the ESPN ticker was completely void. Not trying to pick a fight with any AJ fans here but you can thank he and Tony George for the death of open wheel racing in the US.....out of control egos.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
And the cars are bad ugly too

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
All these rules just make it spec-car racing. IMO it stifles innovation. Bring back the old Can-Am! Let the best ideas win.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
you can thank he and Tony George for the death of open wheel racing in the US.....out of control egos.

Very True

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Bring back the old Can-Am! Let the best ideas win.

Well, even Can-Am wouldn't allow some "ideas". Remember when the aux engine/fans that provided down force for the Chaparrals was outlawed? 'Would be hard to come up with a "better idea" than that little trick!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
As I recall the aux engine was a rotax snowmobile engine. Jim Hall was very innovative but McLaren had the bucks and dominated.