IMAGES of newly installed copper tubing insulation

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I have attached both before and after images of the insulation I have installed on the copper tubing that probably goes to the heater core. Hopefully it will reduce the heat buildup within the car during extended trips. I will keep everyone informed of any side effects that this may have. It's a very tight fit in there and perhaps that's why Ford passed on doing this.

Jay

Passenger%20side.jpg

Copper%20tubing%20insulation.jpg

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
slick :biggrin

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
It works!

I finally got to take a long trip and my car was much cooler inside! I think that the insulation really helped.

Jay

c_steve

Jan 21, 2006
I suspect you used tubular slip on insulation that is sliced down one side and slipped it on???Did you get it at plumbing supply or a Home Depot type store?? Tx Steve

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Insulation and other projects

c_steve said:
I suspect you used tubular slip on insulation that is sliced down one side and slipped it on???Did you get it at plumbing supply or a Home Depot type store?? Tx Steve

I purchased several types of pre-slit, 6 foot lengths from McMaster Carr and selected the best one for our application. This insulation has the adhesive on the slit edges only. Since it is a very tight fit in there, you put the insulation in place first and then peel off the protective layer afterwards.

I plan on including a pair of precut pieces when I am ready to sell the engine light or the wireless battery trickle charger. I will be doing a run of engine lights fairly soon, as I am awaiting quotes from a few machine shops.

In regards to the engine bay light, I am having difficulty locating the electrical connector pair that powers the rear side light on the car (I know that AMP and TRW make them). I need these connectors so that I can tap into the wiring harness without cutting (or piercing) any wires. I want this to be a true plug-in system without any permanent alterations to the car. Any help on locating some mating electrical connectors would be appreciated.

The wireless battery trickle charger has been a lot of work. I just fininshed the printed circuit board layout for the pickup coil (the part that mounts in the car). I am working on the transmitting coil tonight.

I'll keep everyone posted on these new products and they will be top quality (read, not made in China)!

Jay
(949) 366-1211

Last edited: