If you own 2 or more Ford GT's

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Shortly after purchasing my Ford GT, the GTX1 was introduced at the 2005 SEMA Show. I knew I wanted a X1 and the decision was solidified when I saw it in person at the 2006 B-J in Scottsdale. I was one of the early people to sign up for the upgrade and purchased a 2nd GT to be converted to the X1. Like all the early people who decided to do the conversion, I had a long wait while all the production problems were sorted out. I received my car 3 weeks ago and have logged about 1200 of some of the most fun miles I have ever experienced. The X1 takes the GT to a whole new level. It has far exceeded my expectations and is the most exhilarating car I have ever driven. If you own 2 or more GT's, the only reason I can imagine not to convert one to the GTX1 would be that you simply do not like convertibles/roadsters. I expect all the GTX1 owners on the Forum to be in agreement, but if you own 2 or more GT's and have not made the decision to convert one to a GTX1, I would be curious to know why you are still on the sidelines. The price isn't going down and neither is the excitement.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Kirby-

I am a multiple GT owner and have decided not to cut one of them. I own a couple of other topless cars so I don't feel the need for another one. I find that I rarely choose to drive my converts with the top down anyway.

Love how the GTX-1 looks though. :cheers

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
gotta agree

Kirby- As awesome as the X is I have to agree that I just cannot "cut" the car. Someone posted a picture of them taking a craftsman reciprocating saw to a GT at the conversion plant and that image is just terrible. Kind of like castrating a thoroughbred race horse.

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Kirby- With the two I have, I could not bring myself to cut on them, but could consider adding a third GT= GTX 1. Midnite Blu and Heritage too plus all White three.........Mabey.....George

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Chris, K-P and George. Thanks for the feedback. Puting a saw to the GT is a scary thought, but for me, the end justified the means. It was probably the same in 1966 when Ford cut an original car to create the first GTX1 which I understand won Sebring in 1966.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
"Castrating a thoroughbred horse" says it all for me. I love the car for the performance and I'd bet that soft top would suck right off at 170 or so. And like Florida said, I've had a couple of other verts and I never seemed to find the perfect day to run with the top down. It was either too hot, too cold, too windy, too noisy or raining.

I tried to climb into the one Mark had at Indy and it was much tighter getting into than a regular GT (with the top on).

There's obviously a demand for it but I'll leave both mine stock. Never know when you'll get a chance to hit 200.:thumbsup

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Boy, I love my convertibles, and have the tops down whenever I can. (which is more often than not) That's why I went X1!! :thumbsup :cool

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
I had some reservations about cutting the car, but after getting it I have to say I made the right decision. It's been a blast going to car shows and posting pictures and even getting interest for many articles in national magazines, .
My car not only brings alot of joy to me but also to almost everyone that sees it in person.

Gennadi had to cut into it but they created a work of art sanctioned by Ford.

Last edited:

gtx1

GTX1 Owner
Apr 5, 2006
I don't know yet if the top will come off @ 200, however 180 with the top off is !#^&*&_+(_):

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
A roadster is an open car with no back seat. My 1st roadster was a Shelby 427 S/C Cobra. My favoriter roadster is the GTX1. Most people who drive roadsters either don't care if their car gets rained on or they don't drive them in rainy weather. It's not likely they would want to do a high speed run in a GTX1 with the top on; however, it is likely they would do topless high speed runs. When I find the right venue, doing 200 in the X1 will be the goal.
The purpose for the top is to keep you dry if you get caught in rain or if the car is unattended and parked outdoors. Similar to certain Ferrari's, both old and new. I doubt that either the hard top or soft top will ever be on my X1 as long as I own it, because IMO if it's not a daily driver, that's what a roadster is all about.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Kirby-

I am a multiple GT owner and have decided not to cut one of them. I own a couple of other topless cars so I don't feel the need for another one. I find that I rarely choose to drive my converts with the top down anyway.

Love how the GTX-1 looks though. :cheers

Ditto ..........

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
I don't know yet if the top will come off @ 200, however 180 with the top off is !#^&*&_+(_):

Did the car feel planted at that speed?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Did the car feel planted at that speed?

As long as you don't twitch the steering wheel, the car is extremely stable at these speeds. Jerk the steering wheel by mistake though and you'll have to buy a new seat! (Speaking from experience.:bored )

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
^Thanks Tex but I was asking in regards to the roadster. My GTX feels as stiff as I remember the GT (before the saw was taken to it) but I've wondered about downforce at speed.