I was here a long time ago...

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
A number of years ago I came here looking for the dream of having a FGT and everyone was telling me then to buy no matter what colour. In the end I couldn't purchase the FGT because the deal on selling my collector car fell through at the last moment, more than once. So I learned my lesson and didn't want to come back here until I had money in hand.
I have followed the auctions on FGTs and it appears I have been left in the dust. I may not be able to purchase my favourite vehicle but I wanted to ask everyone's opinion. I have a budget of $250k and am wondering if it is possible to find a FGT within my budget. I am trying to be realistic, so I am thinking something with over 35k miles might be possible.
I found the buyer, 'the needle in the haystack', finally my baby is on its way to a new home and now I am ready to find and purchase a FGT if realistically possible.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I remember you. Growing up in Spokane (&N. Idaho) grabbed my attention 1st go around.

Congrats on the sale. Going for mileage is the right thing to do. Miles don't hurt these cars if you buy to enjoy and not as part of your retirement portfolio.

Get the word out, Keep at it, you will find one.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: GTMD

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
Thanks, it's nice to be remembered. Where are you presently and what's in your garage?
Any suggestion as to where to leave word?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
The 250K ship may have sailed for the present. Good luck you never know.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks, it's nice to be remembered. Where are you presently and what's in your garage?
Any suggestion as to where to leave word?

I am a Ford Die-Hard. Mustang guy for 40+ years so I have a few of the Gen I's like a '70 Mach I and '67 GT500, a Gen V GT500 and the FGT. I have a token import that I bought 20 years ago, a Z8 (before the FGT was splashed on all the news pages). I am also into boats. Ford powered boats that is.

I think here is a good place. Avants on FB might be a good place. sixspeedonline might also be a good place. Facebook may have even more, I just am not a prolific FB user. Hang around the online auctions. Occasionally someone will say "I am going to list mine" but I have no idea if that is real or bluff.

It won't be as easy as a search without a budget, but you can do it. I also believe there are 1/2 dozen (+) cars in the N. Idaho/Spokane area. Never know what might turn up locally.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Still have your Z8? They bring strong money these days. I’ve been looking at possibly picking one up for a while now... been following them closely on BaT. If you still have yours, and are willing to part with it, you’d be well on your way to buying your pick of FGTs.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Still have your Z8? They bring strong money these days. I’ve been looking at possibly picking one up for a while now... been following them closely on BaT. If you still have yours, and are willing to part with it, you’d be well on your way to buying your pick of FGTs.

tempting, but I am pretty fond of it as well. Not FGT fond, but close. 😎

Reactions: DakotaGT

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
My story is similar to yours...we both joined in 2012 and went and did other things rather than buy an FGT. In late 2019, my interest was reignited by a number of things (the F vs F movie, and the amazing videos from Jay Leno and Harry Metcalfe....even Doug DeMuro buying one moved the needle a little). Bought mine in Feb 2020 from a great forum member, ironically 8 miles down the road, had no idea this car existed.

On your $250k budget, hope is not lost in my opinion. I believe you could buy a car with a salvage title. I also think you could buy a car very similar to mine, a 30k mile car with a couple of minor stories that you would have to verify. If I was interested in selling I would consider taking something close to that.

My advice is to let everyone know you are interested in buying in cash (and have the cash where you could access it quickly) here on this forum and be an active poster. And you will need to be able to act quickly. I lost out on several good deals because the game was moving faster than I was. Put down deposits quickly and negotiate an exclusive buy window, even if you have to give non-refundable deposits. Call sellers, don't fool around with e-mails or texts. Start a relationship with Rich Brooks and/or Kendall Pond for PPI purposes.

Reactions: JWZ

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
tempting, but I am pretty fond of it as well. Not FGT fond, but close. 😎

Oops, I wrote that thinking it was the original poster who mentioned their Z8. I already knew you had a GT. 😀. My bad. Maybe I can pick your brain sometime on Z8’s.

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
I am a Ford Die-Hard. Mustang guy for 40+ years so I have a few of the Gen I's like a '70 Mach I and '67 GT500, a Gen V GT500 and the FGT. I have a token import that I bought 20 years ago, a Z8 (before the FGT was splashed on all the news pages). I am also into boats. Ford powered boats that is.

I think here is a good place. Avants on FB might be a good place. sixspeedonline might also be a good place. Facebook may have even more, I just am not a prolific FB user. Hang around the online auctions. Occasionally someone will say "I am going to list mine" but I have no idea if that is real or bluff.

It won't be as easy as a search without a budget, but you can do it. I also believe there are 1/2 dozen (+) cars in the N. Idaho/Spokane area. Never know what might turn up locally.
I know one guy in Sandpoint who was nice enough to offer me to check his out so I know what I'm getting into. He has a red one.

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
My story is similar to yours...we both joined in 2012 and went and did other things rather than buy an FGT. In late 2019, my interest was reignited by a number of things (the F vs F movie, and the amazing videos from Jay Leno and Harry Metcalfe....even Doug DeMuro buying one moved the needle a little). Bought mine in Feb 2020 from a great forum member, ironically 8 miles down the road, had no idea this car existed.

On your $250k budget, hope is not lost in my opinion. I believe you could buy a car with a salvage title. I also think you could buy a car very similar to mine, a 30k mile car with a couple of minor stories that you would have to verify. If I was interested in selling I would consider taking something close to that.

My advice is to let everyone know you are interested in buying in cash (and have the cash where you could access it quickly) here on this forum and be an active poster. And you will need to be able to act quickly. I lost out on several good deals because the game was moving faster than I was. Put down deposits quickly and negotiate an exclusive buy window, even if you have to give non-refundable deposits. Call sellers, don't fool around with e-mails or texts. Start a relationship with Rich Brooks and/or Kendall Pond for PPI purposes.
Thanks for the advice. Not going to do salvage. It was hard enough selling a collector car with a colour change, it would be even harder for my wife to sell when I am gone.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Oops, I wrote that thinking it was the original poster who mentioned their Z8. I already knew you had a GT. 😀. My bad. Maybe I can pick your brain sometime on Z8’s.

anytime!

I know one guy in Sandpoint who was nice enough to offer me to check his out so I know what I'm getting into. He has a red one.

pretty sure he is on this forum 😉

Reactions: DakotaGT

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Thanks for the advice. Not going to do salvage. It was hard enough selling a collector car with a colour change, it would be even harder for my wife to sell when I am gone.

You can of course choose not to buy a salvage (and I said the same), but you will find the collector world treats salvage title FGTs much differently than most other collector cars. They move pretty swiftly at competitive prices. I'm not advocating them, but with your budget it would be WAY more feasible if you have a burning desire to have one and cannot increase your budget.

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
You’re so close but…..

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I spent 10% more than I wanted after taxes and shipping but haven't thought about it again until now. Stretch, and then stretch a bit more, it's worth it!

Reactions: 2112

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

So the guy in Sandpoint (Steve I presume) is a good friend. I am farther north in Bonners Ferry. If you have reason to be up that way I'd be happy to talk GTs and show you mine. Also have some old Mustangs and a Z8.

We do a car's & coffee in Sandpoint the first Saturday of the Month weather permitting, Usually a GT there to look at. Never hurts to meet GT owners and spread the word you're looking. The GT world is actually pretty small.

Good luck with your quest.

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
So the guy in Sandpoint (Steve I presume) is a good friend. I am farther north in Bonners Ferry. If you have reason to be up that way I'd be happy to talk GTs and show you mine. Also have some old Mustangs and a Z8.

We do a car's & coffee in Sandpoint the first Saturday of the Month weather permitting, Usually a GT there to look at. Never hurts to meet GT owners and spread the word you're looking. The GT world is actually pretty small.

Not really a friend as he was willing to show me his and that was about it. Would love to drive up to see some FGTs together in one spot.
How come I haven't seen any of you guys at Car d'alene?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah

You and 2112 related? lol

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
There are many many many gt owners and members out there and here that were against prior accident cars, salvage cars and cars with stories. I would say based on the calls and messages I receive lately looking for them as driver cars, that it is no longer the case.
Even if you bought a prior salvage car and put a crap ton of miles on it would still be worth well over 200k if you wanted to sell it.
So maybe you lose 20-30k or maybe you don’t as prices rise. When it comes to the experience of driving a Ford GT tho I don’t feel there’s a price you can put on what it cost for you to own and drive it.
Just my 2cents

Last edited:

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
There are many many many gt owners and members out there and here that were against prior accident cars, salvage cars and cars with stories. I would say based on the calls and messages I receive lately looking for them as driver cars, that it is no longer the case.
Even if you bought a prior salvage car and put a crap ton of miles on it it would be worth well over 200k if you wanted to sell it.
So maybe you lose 20-30k or maybe you don’t as prices rise. When it comes to the experience of driving a Ford Gt tho I don’t feel there’s a price you can put on what it cost for you to own and drive it.
Just my 2cents
Looks I might have to adjust my sights a little lower and will consider a prior accident car.