How to remove the front bumper?

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
I have two small chips on the front bumper of my GT. Wanting to get it refinished but don't want to paint it on the car. Looking for some tips or advice on taking it off. I want to carry it into the paint shop instead of letting them take it off. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Mike

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Remove the wheels, fender liners, and front defuser. Unbolt the washer reservoir driver side ( i use a hanger to hang the reservoir out of the way), evap can and horn passenger side, remove the headlights, unplug the fog lights. From the back side top of the bumper cover you'll need to cut the plastic fastener s (usually 3) I use a long scraper, slide the scraper in and feel for them. remove the driver and passenger side bolts from inside top of the fenders (i think their are 3 on each side). Remove the outside bolts holding the fender and bumper cover together. Tape the heck out of the body panels surrounding headlights, headlights themselves, top and inside of fenders...use tape!
Off the top of my head thats about all I can remember without looking at a manuel or having the car in front of me.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I suggest getting the service manual. It's got all the details. It's easy to say "remove the headlight" but the book will give you some explicit instructions. Both paper and electronic versions are available. I bought the CD electronic version. I can print things I need (to pdf or the printer directly) so I'm building up a set of pdf electronic stuff for things along the way.

Removing the fender liners is a treat - they are rigid but must be slightly deformed (up at the top by the struts). Remember there are 4 clips at the very top of the liners. They may pull out harder than you want if so just cut them off. I considered the "Christmas Tree" clips to be disposable and to be replaced more than be reused. Sometimes they will come out OK, but sometimes they get deformed.

You will not be able to buy enough blue painters tape. You should cover everything at least twice. My observation is that removing the fender liners will be your biggest exposure, so taping well around the wheel wells will be very important. Also be very patient. If you've never done it before take your time, and if things aren't going well take a breather and come back. You will struggle the first time, but it'll be easier if you ever need to do it again.

Take lots of pictures of where things were and put blue tape on the places where things come out (esp. the fender liners as the holes disapper). Mark numbers on stuff - this faster #2 goes to this #2 on the liner, etc.

Really, this car is so easy to work on. I am not afraid. The GT is a million dollar car built with American "can't take too long on the line" assembly methods. It's rock solid, engineered with precision, and way too much fun to drive (and work on, when you need to). Then once you have the skins off you will be further amazed at what's under the covers.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Really, the headlights need to come out. Are they difficult to re aim? May be more than I can do myself.

Mike

Sonic blue

GT Owner
Jun 1, 2007
British Columbia
Where I live there's a couple of paint touch up guys who work with magnifying glasses and fine touch brushes. Unless these are bolder dents I would see what your local guys can do! Some of these guys are amazing and I think worth the trouble before you try the whole repaint.
Just a thought

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Thanks for all the tips and inside information. It sounds like a good winter project here in Missouri. The knowledge and friendships on this forum can't be replaced. Again, thank you and I will be attacking this project this fall.

Mike

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is no side to side adjustment to the headlights, only up and down. This is done after everythiong is mounted and is done in the trunk sidewalls.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
http://home.comcast.net/~skatesharpening/headlamp.htm

The above shows the location of the headlamp hole; do not follow the manual which has the fender liners being removed for what is really a simple task.

Pete S.

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Great post ...Thanks! Im tearing mine apart now to replace a AC line.

Sonic blue

GT Owner
Jun 1, 2007
British Columbia
Sorry, I just don't get it? I know about 5 or 6 paint shops that can mask off the front and paint a front bumper perfectly! I know a few rock chip guys who can do an amazing fill and paint on a rock chip! Why would anyone want to go to all the trouble of removing the front for a couple of small chips? Some woman backed into the nose of my Ferrari with her trailer hitch and that didn't even require removing the bumper to repair and paint. Came out perfect. Am I missing something here? In fact, you will likely get a better paint match if they are able to match it up to the car as well!

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Sonic,
You might have a point. I just don't want any tape lines or overspray at all. Also, my main concern was my car sitting in a body shop with everyone wanting to sit in it or look at it up close. I might be overly concerned?

Mike

Sonic blue

GT Owner
Jun 1, 2007
British Columbia
Good body shop...none of that! Find out who does high end cars and yours will be treated well! I've never had tape lines, overspray or any problems!

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Taking it in Monday!

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Yes 05, take it in to get painted....don't take apart the front end unless you really have to. Im doing it now to change a AC suction line...its a challenge!

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
I'm convinced not too!! Thanks to all who educated me!