How to remove clutch dust/grit from the transaxle top

After 21,000 miles, the top right surface of the transaxle is covered in black grit from the clutch via the oblong hole on the right front side of the bell housing. It looks like hell, and can't be wiped off because the transaxle surface is not smooth. Is there a good way to remove it?

I am reluctant to wash the transaxle housing (even if I plug the bell housing breather hole) because of all the stuff (esp. electrical) lower down that will get soaked. Of course, I would remove the diffuser pan so all the wash liquid would drain onto the ground. Am I needlessly concerned about possible water damage or should I do nothing and just let it build up and be dirty?

Does anyone have a good way to clean this up?

Thanks!

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
After 21,000 miles, the top right surface of the transaxle is covered in black grit from the clutch via the oblong hole on the right front side of the bell housing. It looks like hell, and can't be wiped off because the transaxle surface is not smooth. Is there a good way to remove it?

I am reluctant to wash the transaxle housing (even if I plug the bell housing breather hole) because of all the stuff (esp. electrical) lower down that will get soaked. Of course, I would remove the diffuser pan so all the wash liquid would drain onto the ground. Am I needlessly concerned about possible water damage or should I do nothing and just let it build up and be dirty?

Does anyone have a good way to clean this up?

Thanks!

I just cleaned mine with simple green and hot water. everything seems ok...

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I use one of these engine bay cleaning tools connected to the air compressor and a supply of distilled water. Uses very little water to blast the dirt away. I then switch to an air nozzle and blow the engine bay dry. What few drops remain do not spot or leave deposits as distilled water was used. Keeps the engine bay very clean. For any greasy areas, I sometimes spritz a bit of simple green in the area just prior to using this engine cleaning tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-TL1032-Campbell-Hausfeld-Cleaner/dp/B000CFPXG4

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Mequire's wheel cleaner and hot water......takes it right off as it it designed to remove brake pad material from wheels.

Cobraguy and SMOKDU - Your answers are helpful. Do you just apply cleaner, then rinse thoroughly and let the rinse water drain down until the cleaner is gone, or do you use minimal water and wipe it off?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
simple green works great! engine degreaser works great also and power washing after it soaks in!

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Cobraguy and SMOKDU - Your answers are helpful. Do you just apply cleaner, then rinse thoroughly and let the rinse water drain down until the cleaner is gone, or do you use minimal water and wipe it off?

I find it most effective to spray the cleaner on liberally, let soak for a few minutes and then rinse it off with with hot water under pressure. I have never had to use a brush or cloth but I do it every time I detail the car so it never gets too gritty. Hope this helps!

Thanks to all of you for the good advice! I first tried Meguiar's Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner several times, but it didn't do the job very well. Then I used Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner, and it worked, although I had to do it three times and scrub the surface with a brush before it looked the same as the other side. I suspect it was difficult to clean because it had never been cleaned before, so there was a heavy layer of crud, plus it had a long time to bake on.