How F'd is VW?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Cobrar - the US auto industry lobby spent billions fighting the system at the regulatory level rather than the congressional level. That is until the early 70's, when they capitulated on fighting the proposed "very costly" regulations (mostly emmisions) and put their efforts into developing the technology to comply and passed those costs onto the price of their vehicles. And, with a big tip of the hat to C.A.R.B, we had 49 state cars and trucks. And the rest is history.

I'll have to defer to the facts you cite as to the approach taken prior to 1980, my tenure in the industry is '80 to current. That said, I lived inside the beltway for a while and the difference in relative industry approachs to managing their respective agendas (lobbying) was, and remains remarkably different. Auto is non-existent.

The sole exception to that is /was a single congressman from the Detroit area, now retired, who is married to former (Ford competitor) Governmental Affairs VP. That particular OE enjoyed the fruit of that relationship having received the unique benefit of some significant advantages in their bankruptcy. E.g. Tax loss carry forwards and debt forgiven.

Probably just a coincidence. ;-))

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I'll have to defer to the facts you cite as to the approach taken prior to 1980, my tenure in the industry is '80 to current. That said, I lived inside the beltway for a while and the difference in relative industry approachs to managing their respective agendas (lobbying) was, and remains remarkably different. Auto is non-existent.

The sole exception to that is /was a single congressman from the Detroit area, now retired, who is married to former (Ford competitor) Governmental Affairs VP. That particular OE enjoyed the fruit of that relationship having received the unique benefit of some significant advantages in their bankruptcy. E.g. Tax loss carry forwards and debt forgiven.

I would always expect your recollections to be much more accurate than mine.

And yes there are various special rules and the ultimate was "forgiveness".

Just read the VW problem in Germany alone is something like 2.8 million vehicles. Those without special rules and large baskets of forgiveness need not apply.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
"It's an Ill storm that blows no good"

Maybe good for an OEM here.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

There is no such thing as a coincidence in the quid pro quo capital.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

It runs to a number of light diesel programs for the Company. E.g. Audi Q3 that shares a VW diesel engine.

There is an interesting derivative opportunity for Ford Europe to capture some VW market share from unhappy non/loyal customers. I recall Mark Fields saying Ford Europe could flex its mix on engine programs from current to a max 80% gasoline engine if the market demand (fuel taxation normalized?) was there. I'd say, go after it, while you can!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I hope Audi won't have to relinguish their Le Mans wins!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Sounds easier than it really is, Volkswagen has a quite high brand loyalty. Still I think there is opportunity. Going after AUDI customers doesn't make sense

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Sounds easier than it really is, Volkswagen has a quite high brand loyalty. Still I think there is opportunity. Going after AUDI customers doesn't make sense

AGREE on that - loyalty is strong. Need to pick up what you can, while you can, where there is dissatisfaction.