How can you increase supercharger wine?

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
...Believe it or not we worked really hard to kill the super charger noise on the FGT. We did not believe the SC whine fit the image of the FGT and the refinement intended. Most of us felt that sound reminded us of floor polishers versus the beautiful V8 exhaust note. (so we were not fans of the SC Lightnings versus the old 95' 351 Windsor NA Lightning, for example) We really wanted incredible engine breathing/induction noise also (like the F360 or the NSX of that time - or my R8 V10 or the old SVT Contour), but we did not want the SC whine. So the powertrain team did a lot of engineering on the intake side to heavily minimize that sound. Rich's recommendation on the CAK is likely your best option at this point.

Reactions: THamonGT and jammer

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Chip ,Dr Frank, and Ed, you are on the right track. Supercharger Red for Dr. Frank, and Supercharger White for Ed. Yellow won't cut it for you Chip; perhaps Chardonnay?

Tomcat

GT Owner
We really wanted incredible engine breathing/induction noise also (like the F360 or the NSX of that time...
The original NSX (normally aspirated) has great induction sound however, the Comptech supercharged version (dealer-installed option) makes a tremendous high pitched whine/scream.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Is there any way to eliminate or significantly reduce the SC whine?

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Is there any way to eliminate or significantly reduce the SC whine?
This is an interesting thread...jammer see what I wrote above in post #21. On a stock Ford GT, no pulley/tune, etc the whine is pretty low. We worked hard to make it so. If you have a stock FGT that is making noticeable SC whine then something is probably not working the way it should.

Reactions: tmcphail

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
This is an interesting thread...jammer see what I wrote above in post #21. On a stock Ford GT, no pulley/tune, etc the whine is pretty low. We worked hard to make it so. If you have a stock FGT that is making noticeable SC whine then something is probably not working the way it should.

On the flip side, Dodge must have made it a priority (or just didn't care) to whine out the V8 noise with their superchargers. It totally dominates the cabin and is pretty annoying.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016

Mine is stock. Doesn't sound louder than other stock cars I test drove. I can still hear a faint whine that I don't like. Not loud but still discernable. I read your post and agree with project team's opinion about incompatibility of the whine with the car's image and refinement.

By the way, based on the problem solving theory "Invert, always Invert" employed by people like Charlie Munger, thinking about ways to eliminate the whine may help in finding ways to increase it too for those who like it.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I found the sound inside to be very quiet, yet outside the supercharger whine was definitely present. Not as loud as some I've heard but you can still tell it's definitely supercharged. The loudest whine I ever heard was a Shelby GT500 with the big Whipple. That thing sounded like a jet from a block away.

Last edited:
Reactions: tmcphail

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
On the flip side, Dodge must have made it a priority (or just didn't care) to whine out the V8 noise with their superchargers. It totally dominates the cabin and is pretty annoying.

I told you- just cut off the mid-mufflers, and then you can hear the exhaust dominate everything! :)

Reactions: sahlman and BAT

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Mine is stock. Doesn't sound louder than other stock cars I test drove. I can still hear a faint whine that I don't like. Not loud but still discernable. I read your post and agree with project team's opinion about incompatibility of the whine with the car's image and refinement.

By the way, based on the problem solving theory "Invert, always Invert" employed by people like Charlie Munger, thinking about ways to eliminate the whine may help in finding ways to increase it too for those who like it.

Glad you agree with our direction. I think the car's values and continued feedback show that we chose correctly. Yes it is still discernible, but even to me who strongly prefers naturally aspirated engines, it seems quite good. Especially relative to any other SC car. The team chose extra insulated rear cabin glass to help on cabin noise from SC, as another example. A lot was done on this topic for refinement.

It cost engineering time and money...on inversion I believe the engine team modifications for SC sound suppression included turning the intake around from they would normally have run it.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Yes it is still discernible, but even to me who strongly prefers naturally aspirated engines, it seems quite good. Especially relative to any other SC car. The team chose extra insulated rear cabin glass to help on cabin noise from SC, as another example.

Well the original design efforts worked. I bought my 05 with 18,000 miles last May and drove it 750 miles home. I was amazed at how little noise, I should say no noise, came from the engine sitting right behind me. I expected to hear a fair amount of mechanical clatter, but no.

Additionally.
The smoothest and quietest ride usually is in a 1/2 ton PU. Sitting high away from the road on tall rubber tire sidewalls. Closer to the road one sits and the lower the tire profile, the more road noise. Again, I was amazed at how little road noise exists in the GT, even close to the road on low profile tires. I have ridden in luxury cars, like my wifes BMW, that ride no better or quieter than the GT.

So then I recently ruined the quiteness by installing a Heffner pipe. Boy does that sound awesome at idle and revved up a bit. Sounds very similar to my 2014 GT500 Super Snake with the Borla. If you are reading this Cooltech Kendall, thanks for the pipe recommendation and sale. It's winter here so will have to wait to drive it.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Well the original design efforts worked. I bought my 05 with 18,000 miles last May and drove it 750 miles home. I was amazed at how little noise, I should say no noise, came from the engine sitting right behind me. I expected to hear a fair amount of mechanical clatter, but no.

Additionally.
The smoothest and quietest ride usually is in a 1/2 ton PU. Sitting high away from the road on tall rubber tire sidewalls. Closer to the road one sits and the lower the tire profile, the more road noise. Again, I was amazed at how little road noise exists in the GT, even close to the road on low profile tires. I have ridden in luxury cars, like my wifes BMW, that ride no better or quieter than the GT.

So then I recently ruined the quiteness by installing a Heffner pipe. Boy does that sound awesome at idle and revved up a bit. Sounds very similar to my 2014 GT500 Super Snake with the Borla. If you are reading this Cooltech Kendall, thanks for the pipe recommendation and sale. It's winter here so will have to wait to drive it.

Good! Its great all of our efforts on eliminating unwanted noises worked well. For sure the exhaust note is a wanted sound (well, at least for us gearheads...your neighbors may disagree!) The cold start on my R8 V10 with aftermarket AWE exhaust is crazy loud...sounds so good...good thing I don't have nearby neighbors.