Houston Shop To Put On Clear Film

hboyle2003

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Does anyone know of a shop in Houston that will do a good job of putting on the clear film protectors for the paint?

Twice Bitten GT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
X-pert Auto Tinting and Alarms (Beltway 8 and 59 South)
11231 Southwest Fwy.
Hou, Tx 77031
(281) 575-0377

Ask for the VentureTape brand.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
I have "Venture Shield " on my car and so far it has worked great. It is almost undetectable. I also have it on the trailing edges of the fender behind the rear tires.

The installer can download the patterns from the main website and cut them on their laser cutter machine. Just make sure your installer does not do what they do for some cars, i.e. cut the film on the car using razors!!

Also - very important - when removing the film, such as in the case where he botches it and has to re-do the job, be aware that the way the stripes are painted on the nose there is the potential the glue on the film might 'lift" the paint around the edges of the stripes. The installer has to apply heat to remove the film and be very careful in that area. [I understand it is also more complicated on the Heritage paint scheme with the black pin stripe.]

Before you authorize the work, then, have a clear understanding with the installer as to who will pay to repair the paintwork if an accident arises.

Enjoy!

Mar 15, 2006
http://houstontint.com/

ask for sonny - he is the owner. he has done about 10 GT clear bras for us.

hboyle2003

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Thanks guys! I called X-pert today but they cannot do it until after SEMA. I will try the other guys as I would like to get the finish protected as soon as I can.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
I had the 3m product on my GT and liked it except for the SERIOUS orange peel effect it gave to all the covered panels.

While at the rally in Dearborn I learned of another product called Venture Shield, by one of the fellas who had it on his GT. This product is so clear and superior to the 3m ( as far as atleast orange peeling is concerned ) that it was a no brainer. I had the 3m removed and the Venture Shield applied.

The company and guy I had do all this was Kelley Neely of Graphix Werk out of Michigan. He can be reached at 248 - 312 - 0968 or kneeley@graphixwerk.com. His website is www.graphixwerk.com

This guy is first class with first class Venture Shield product and the one you want doing this type of work for you! He's also done a number of GT's.

Who knows - maybe he'd come to your place and install it. He's already been to Canada atleast twice. :thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Anyone got some general price ranges for this type of treatment on a GT?

thanks!

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
cost me $500 US cash for venture shield

hboyle2003

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
I was quoted $600 - $1200 depending on how much I wanted covered.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks Red Rocket and Hboyle for the cost estimates.

Someone in California had told me about custom full body wraps, as follows, and I almost had a heart attack when I heard the prices:

"We've recently wrapped a CGT ($9000) & Enzo ($11500), so it's fairly
pricey due to the 100% custom work that goes into it. To do such a wrapon
the Elise, it will run about $5000 due to its much smaller size compared to
the vehicles above. Project Time - 3-4 days"

I just need a few shields in strategic places, and $500-$1000 would be more in line with what I need and am willing to allocate.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Well, with the Venture shield they have it down to a science. They just download the pattern from the website and pay them a license to have access to all their patterns. An using a laser cutter makes it fit perfect and it is low cost for the material. I have become good friends with the guy who did my car - actually this business is a hell of an opportunity for a young person without a lot of training to go into because most cars could use this application.

BTW - make sure your installer understands that for the patterns for the pieces just below the headlamp there is a cutout for headlamp washers; so he has to delete those before he starts cutting (unless he's working on a British car!!).

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Cost

Bumper Package $ 458, Hood package $ 244, Headlight package $ 138 and options package which includes rockers, behind the rear wheels, leading edges of air scoops etc, chrome door sills $ 535.

Kelley Neely from Graphix Werk is the guy you want.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
This link is a good reference for what gets covered.

http://www.shadowtinting.com/PartQuery

Last edited:

hboyle2003

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
I just had X-pert Auto Tinting and Alarms put on the paint protection plastic tape. It took from 9:30 to 4:30 and they were pretty much working all the time. So far it looks great. I hope it saves a few stone chips!! It was about $1300 with tax.