hmmm Question!

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
hmmm...

Perhaps the biggest weight saver would be conversion to the GTX1 Roadster. The factory roof is quite heavy. The replacement roof components are very light. In roadster version, the weight savings would be more substantial but would be somewhat offset by aerodynamic losses. I'll ask Mark Gerisch for the details and post his comments. If you are not familiar with the GTX1, see www.gtx1.com .

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
hmmm...

I've asked Mark for the weight details which I will post. My recollection is that it's significant.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Handling penalty with top removal?

Kirby Vieira said:
Perhaps the biggest weight saver would be conversion to the GTX1 Roadster. The factory roof is quite heavy. The replacement roof components are very light. In roadster version, the weight savings would be more substantial but would be somewhat offset by aerodynamic losses. I'll ask Mark Gerisch for the details and post his comments. If you are not familiar with the GTX1, see www.gtx1.com .
Kirby,

Would you be concerned about loosing chassis stiffness? I own an NSX-T and Honda had to add more weight to the chassis (to stiffen it) to compensate for the top removal. Then to compensate for the extra weight increase, they had to increase the HP output by 20 HP.

There's got to be a handling penalty when removing the top of the car, or is the GT much different in design, meaning that the top of the car adds very little structural stiffness? Jay

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Kirby Vieira said:

Somewhere there is a thread discussing the lack of rigidity and stiffners that would have to be added. Certainly would negate any weight gain from top removal.

Dave

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
stop redesigning cars and reinventing wheels, my humble pov...

I have the 360 spyder, had the 360 Modena, and trust me, as driving machine the open one is heavier, less sharp, slower and, and... But is nice with the wife on a Sunny sunday afternoon... So, what's your point to open up to be quicker ? Never ever, boys...

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
DaveFordGT, I would make sure the half shafts are up to the task of 640 RWHP and slicks before going that route.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
hmmm...

There's only one GTX1, and it's a prototype that also has the pulley and both exhaust upgrades. It's at the high end of RWH for GT's and is logging lots of successful miles. One of the pleasant surprises is how little wind is in the passenger area at speed in the prototype. Ford Engineering has been involved in the evolution of the car, and production is planned to begin in June. Mark Gerisch said the answers to many questions will not be available until the final production parts are in hand; however, he did say the conversion would be lighter. I'm not a track guy, so I have fewer questions than many of you. My decision was largely based on the prototype's stunning looks, the fact that Ford Engineering is deeply involved, and it's being converted by one of America's premier coachbuilders. IMHO, if Ford's production run was going to continue, and Ford was going to offer a roadster version, the X1 would be at the high end of the spectrum of possibilities Ford would be considering.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
hmmm...

There's only one GTX1, and it's a prototype that also has the pulley and both exhaust upgrades. It's at the high end of RWH for GT's and is logging lots of successful miles. One of the pleasant surprises is how little wind is in the passenger area at speed in the prototype. Ford Engineering has been involved in the evolution of the car, and production is planned to begin in June. Mark Gerisch said the answers to many questions will not be available until the final production parts are in hand; however, he did say the conversion would be lighter. I'm not a track guy, so I have fewer questions than many of you. My decision was largely based on the prototype's stunning looks, the fact that Ford Engineering is deeply involved, and it's being converted by one of America's premier coachbuilders. IMHO, if Ford's production run was going to continue, and Ford was going to offer a roadster version, the X1 would be at the high end of the spectrum of possibilities Ford would be considering.

Pipelion

Want to loose weight?

Replace all glass with plex, pull passenger seat, tear out dash and console, remove all carpet and trim. Remove paint from car. Drain excess gas and fluids.

Have fun with your race car.

Allan :biggrin :wink :cheers