High Octane Fuel

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Some time ago I promised in this link: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1111 to update all about my experience with different fuels.

So far I have found that Shell and BP fuels are good. In the Atlanta area where I am, the one fuel brand I have had poor results with is QT (Quick Trip).

Of special note is the performance of the car when high octane gas is used. I have gotten excellent and noticeable results when mixing commercial grade 93 octane BP or Shell gas with 100 or 101 octane racing gas in a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1. Driveability across the RPM range is improved and I have found the behavior off idle and starting out in 1st gear is NOTICEABLY better using this combination.

In the Atlanta area, you can get 100 octane gas at the Shell station at Crabapple Junction and 101 octane gas in 5 gal containers from Lawrenceville auto parts.

Eric

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
What does Ford use.

EasyEric said:
So far I have found that Shell and BP fuels are good. In the Atlanta area where I am, the one fuel brand I have had poor results with is QT (Quick Trip).

Unlike the majors Quick Trip does not refine any fuel, they are just marketers. They buy rack gas on the open market and get some from Murphy Oil. So with QT you never know what you're gonna get. The best fuel additive by far is Techron and it is only found in Chevron gas. I have been a dealer for Union 76, Mobil, ARCO, and Chevron. Chevron gasoline is not sold in Michigan but GM, Ford, and Chrysler have used it exclusively for the mandatory 50,000 mile emission testing for nearly 30 years. They have to truck the fuel 1100 miles to get it there. Techron is sold by Porsche and Mercedes dealerships rebottled as their own labeled fuel additive but if you look on the back of the bottle it says Techron in small print. The worst gasoline is Costco, Sam's Club, and other independant marketers. They sell rack gasoline with no additives at all. :thumbsdow The additives are necessary to remove carbon and other buildups on valves.

Chip

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
CB,

Thanks for the info. I will try Chevron gas on the next fill-up. There is a station less than one mile from the house!

Eric

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
Although I'm a fan of Shell, I've met Chevron engineers on two separate occasions and in each case they bragged about their fuels and recomended none other. They really stood behind their additives. So I've changed to Chevron and although I haven't noticed any real improvement in the GT, my go-kart actually runs a better.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Chevron for me... always #1 choice, issue in California is the lousy 91 Octaine and the special Winter Blend.... :thumbsdow

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
canibl said:
Although I'm a fan of Shell, I've met Chevron engineers on two separate occasions and in each case they bragged about their fuels and recomended none other. They really stood behind their additives. So I've changed to Chevron and although I haven't noticed any real improvement in the GT, my go-kart actually runs a better.

Speaking of Go-Karts......When I was a kid I used to buy Derby gas because it was a penny cheaper than Mobile across the street. My little wood go-kart had a 1 1/2 horse motor and I had to confine my racing to fairly level parking lots becouse of the low horse power. One day they tore down the Derby to build a new station and I had to walk across the street and buy Mobile gas. It made an instant improvement in my go-kart power and I realized back then that the independent gas companies were secretly screwing us. At $3.00 a gallon, saving a penny for that junk is pure folly. When you have excess horse power you can't really measure the perfomance difference, but when you are on the fringe, it really shows up. By the way, you can buy Techron additive at Walmart reasonably cheap and use it once a month to keep your injectors clean in your daily driver. :thumbsup

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
wanting to know whether the oil companies add ethanol to the fuel mix

down here a couple of years ago stations started adding ethanol, car
companies said that blending ethanol would ruin the engines and that they
would not honour warranty if proven car ran on blend.

after the trouble in the mid east, katrina, the gov got the car makers in
must have reamed them because its okay now.

car pings with shell, best is bp

Last edited:

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
Beach-GT said:
Speaking of Go-Karts......When I was a kid I used to buy Derby gas because it was a penny cheaper than Mobile across the street. My little wood go-kart had a 1 1/2 horse motor and I had to confine my racing to fairly level parking lots becouse of the low horse power. One day they tore down the Derby to build a new station and I had to walk across the street and buy Mobile gas. It made an instant improvement in my go-kart power and I realized back then that the independent gas companies were secretly screwing us. At $3.00 a gallon, saving a penny for that junk is pure folly. When you have excess horse power you can't really measure the perfomance difference, but when you are on the fringe, it really shows up. By the way, you can buy Techron additive at Walmart reasonably cheap and use it once a month to keep your injectors clean in your daily driver. :thumbsup
very true. I've used VP, Trick, and other 'specialty' fuels but for some strange reason Chevron just works better. The go-kart I race is a shifter 80, lots of fun and no worries if I go off the track.