Help with Viper!

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Guys,

Most of you seem to also like Vipers and have some great knowledge about them. I need a little help. As I was traveling to Austin from Houston this weekend to see my son in college, and as I was getting fuel a guy pulled into the Buckee's in Giddings with a Silver Viper on a trailer. He was headed to Houston to show it to a potential buyer. 1999 Silver with 22,000 miles. Does look like it has been driven, not a show car. We talked fun cars as we both took a short break. He wants to sell this one for $30,000. That seemed like a good deal to me. Does have some road rash etc. I ask because on the way back to Houston Sunday PM I pass him him again and the car is still on the trailer. I thought I would ask you guys what you think, then call and make him a lower offer.

Larry Boatner

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Seems about right

I perused ebay and saw quite a few sold for $30-40K

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I had a 96 GTS. They are fun cars but when you compare it to the GT you will always be in the GT...thats why I no longer have the 96..it just wasn't fun to drive anymore..and the AC sucks in the cars. Not fun in Texas

H

HHGT

Guys,

Most of you seem to also like Vipers and have some great knowledge about them. I need a little help. As I was traveling to Austin from Houston this weekend to see my son in college, and as I was getting fuel a guy pulled into the Buckee's in Giddings with a Silver Viper on a trailer. He was headed to Houston to show it to a potential buyer. 1999 Silver with 22,000 miles. Does look like it has been driven, not a show car. We talked fun cars as we both took a short break. He wants to sell this one for $30,000. That seemed like a good deal to me. Does have some road rash etc. I ask because on the way back to Houston Sunday PM I pass him him again and the car is still on the trailer. I thought I would ask you guys what you think, then call and make him a lower offer.

Larry Boatner

GTS or RT/10?

RT/10 with high miles and okay condition can sell as low as $25K. GTS will fetch more. Best way to look at a used non collectible Viper is to buy one to get rid of the itch. Enjoy it for what it is and when you get tired of it sell it. Buy it right and it will not cost you anything in the form of ownership as older models have found bottom.

Buy a viper for its iconic value and social presence, otherwise you can find better performing cars out there such as a 2007 GT500 or Vette which could be had for the same $.

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
Just got rid of my Shitass 2009 viper ACR, replaced it with 2012 GTR. Still not in the GT league but I think it will be fun.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Thanks HHGT,

I think you hit the nail on the head, just scratching an itch. 427 good info on the A/C. Have fun with it this winter and sell before summer. Thanks Kayvan, that is always my go to for a quick look at prices also, and autotrader. Take the prices and deduct 10-20% and that is usually what they are really selling for.

Thank You

Larry

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Deal did work out. I paid 8K less than low price he had on a Certified Appraisal. Already have Torrie working on a Tune, Cold Air and Exhaust. I am really surprised at the car. Lot more fun than I was expecting.

Attachments

• DSC05252.jpg
    DSC05252.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC05245.jpg
    DSC05245.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 113
H

HHGT

Deal did work out. I paid 8K less than low price he had on a Certified Appraisal. Already have Torrie working on a Tune, Cold Air and Exhaust. I am really surprised at the car. Lot more fun than I was expecting.

Congrats and be careful. Drive it till you get bored and when you decide to sell it, you'll get your $$ back with a very low cost of ownership.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
That is sharp !

Cograts!!

Cobraguy

GT Owner
I have the twin to your new RT...sans rear spoiler and Paxton equiped with fewer miles. You will not go wrong with your purchase price. Now, if you'd like to invest in a blower and a short-shifter , you will triple the entertainment value of the unit....just don't plan on recieving a financial return on that investment come trade-in time !

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Thanks Cobraguy,

I never seem to come out on the upside anyway! This is added to the recent purchase of the 2001 Mustang Cobra and The Lone Star replica 1966 Cobra I built. Lots of snakes in my garage.

Maybe one of the first cars I am not upside down in. LOL

Larry